BRISBANE WANTOKZ KONA

Brisbane Wantoks Kona This is a notice board and on-line meeting place for Papua New Guineans and friends of Papua New Guinea living in the city of Brisbane and surrounding areas in the South-Eastern region of the State of Queensland in Australia.

Post a message, tell a joke, make an announcement or just tell people you are around, this board is for you and is whatever you make it.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Board  

Snobby

September 26 2010 at 10:24 AM
Tanoxdeblack 

Why are most PNGeans in snobby? I am utterly disgusted when My hellos are ignored. Just so you know we dont want your money or help or anything. A simple greeting will not kill. Don't let the fact your in Aus get to you. We Are better than this.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Noxbisi

Move on mate

September 29 2010, 1:28 PM 

........welcome to the world of wannabes

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

Re: Snobby

October 15 2010, 11:16 AM 

wanbel snobby but so many wannabes so what have I been doing? ...just ignoring them!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

October 15 2010, 1:28 PM 

repested msg

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

October 15 2010, 1:30 PM 

Maybe we are sick and tired of always saying hello......... maybe we have had a sh!t day and don't feel lik saying hello to strangers. maybe because after 7 years of saying hello to random PNGeans doesn't really matter anymore. Maybe you should mind your own ******** business!!!!!!!! Do you see any Samoan, Fijian or Tongan person saying hello to another random person fromtheir country. there are bigger things to worry about than someone ignoring you "hello". Harden the ***** up!!!

Respond to this message   
Mum

NO NEED TO BE RUDE

October 16 2010, 2:08 PM 

Anon, you are obviously from the "snobby snot society".....and very rude to boot.

There is no harm in acknowledging a fellow countryman when abroad; even if it is only a quick hello or nod of the head or smile.

Our family finds the same thing; a reluctance of PNGs to acknowledge another PNG in Australia.......sad.

Yet when my husband is on the stage with Tribe of Jubal; every PNG wants to acknowledge him and be his friend. When we are in the shopping centre; they all turn away and pretend they didn't see us!

Explain that!!!!!

But I guess if one's "Daddy" is a corrupt Big Man in PNG; then you havn't had the benefit of a good honest upbringing with manners and a knowledge of right from wrong. Poor Baby!!!

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

@ Mum

October 21 2010, 1:36 PM 

I think your very right there, the apple doesnt fall far from the tree and there is nothing wrong in acknowledging your country men/women if you want to be a snob keep it to yourself and don't spread your disease to the rest of us....snob!

Respond to this message   
Dee

March 24 2011, 10:07 PM 

Anon you're an *** hole..I cant believe what I am reading..we PNGeans are better off then those Samoans or Fijian you talked about..that is our culture, em pasin blo yumi lo tok hello lo ol wantok..man yumi olgeta lusim ples na kam ya..Well maybe not for you, you spoilt brat must have grown up in Aus na ting you better then the rest of us..if you are a true PNGean you would feel the need to greet a fellow wantok, even just a simple smile would do.

We dont need wannabes like you, stay off this page!

Respond to this message   
strongplaPNGkanaka@brizzy

April 3 2011, 4:37 PM 

are you ******n kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You must onepla kain wannabe white meri stret ya, ah!!! who gives a damn about fijians and samoans or whatever, m ol white lain ya, we are not like them. PNG culture m strong lo blut na bone ya!!! It's true, some of us here for studies have left home and we feel so much happier when we see our fellow countrymen, kain osem you nabaut ya, muski don't bloody call PNG your home coz you're not a proud PNGean...U M WANNABE OREO STRET!!!!!!!!!!! get a life, blut blo u m stil strongpla kaukau blo png...

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

August 28 2012, 11:29 PM 

wannabe Samoan and Fijian. Doesn't mean if they do that then you follow them fobs in whatever they do.

Respond to this message   
.BONES

March 25 2011, 2:50 AM 

It's not only in Oz. You find 'em everywhere. Transiting back and forth through these intl ports; Changi, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Sydney, Brisbane & Cairns I see 'em a lot. Even the ones that came over for just a week or 2 days "ol ting ol blo narapla hap olgeta now". Cant's help myself listening in to their GOSSIP. Kast!!! Gossip killim ol PNG lain lo Oz stret ia. Lucky na igat IPOD so passim ear lo harim ol

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

March 25 2011, 10:16 PM 

its just the fact that everybody wants to know who your family is......no one knows how to keep their mouth shut

Respond to this message   
Danny Boy

March 31 2011, 7:37 AM 

ah wantoks, I have quit saying to hello to anyone unless they look in my direction and smile.
I know many of those who either look away, look at their mobile phones hoping a phone call comes in etc, I just ignore them and dont have any remorseful feelings against them either.
After all, there is more to life than to make an issue of it!

There are those that ignore you initially and then see that you have something special and become interested in you, I just look away and pay no attention!..LOL!

Respond to this message   

April 3 2011, 10:45 PM 

Strong pla PNG speak for yourself. People are posting their own experiences facing some of our wantoks from PNG. My hubi was embarrassed by some of PNG people's behavior in Cairns when he said hello to them in pidgin and motu in the streets, when he visited our grand daughter a few years ago. They pretended that they didnt hear him, sticking their noses in the air looking the other way.

Respond to this message   
So true

True and true

April 4 2011, 12:41 AM 

SOO TRUE..I haven't been there yet but one of my buddies who just flew back from there told me the story of how he met a white man and they started speaking pidgin and motu and talking about PNG etc.. at brisbane, then they saw this goroka lady(no offense people from goroka but she really was from goroka so Im writing it) she was walking past so, so this whiteman told my buddy ai wanpla Papua New Guinea meri yah blo goroka yah..and they turned and said Hi and but whooooa! she just walked on passed as if she was Brought up in In the moon or something...

Respond to this message   
Danny Boy

Re: True and true

April 5 2011, 7:21 AM 

I just crack up laughing when their eyes brighten up and they become interested in you when they learn you work here, have a house or car etc. All I see is they want to jump into your pants and cling onto that hope of the good future, something you worked hard for yourself.

And then they are those who come boasting to you about their kids in Uni down here, or their spouse on a well paid job or what magnificent house or car they own.

Shame but anyways, PNG ya! we jumped all the steps in between and moved from stonage to digital age so I guess, people are still adjusting!!

Respond to this message   

I was so terrified.

April 7 2011, 12:02 PM 

I just moved up here in Brisbane from little country town in NSW a year ago. Once in a while, i usually go to brisbane city central for personla business. Few times, i bumped onto some wantoks and when they looked at me, i waved at them when they were far out there. When they were very close, i say hello or good morning or good day to them and i continued on with my own journey. In different occasions, few guys just approached me and questioned me. They were really interviewing me like a channel nine tv men or post courier news reporter. I was really terrified. They really want to know my back ground. Those guys I've never met them before.

Few months leter, i jumped into the train in Roma street station to go to North side. There was a guy from sepik and another one from Goroka were already sitting in another carriage. They might have seen me passing by and walking into another carriage. Suddenly, both of them left the carriage that they were sitting and they came to where i was.
They said to me wantok and started asking this following questions:

Mangi Goroka said: where do u come from? I said I'm from Tari, SHP.
Mangi Sepik said: What are u doing here? I was bit hesitate and reluctant to answer but i
mentioned to them in pidgin :(mi raun tasol)
Mangi Goroka asked me? Where do u live? I said, i live in Northside of Brisbane.
Mangi Sepik asked me? Which surbarb do I was bit terrified but i gave them the wrong suburb.
u live?
Mangi Goroka asked me? where are ur family? I as at home.
Mangi Sepik asked me? YOU MARIT LONG WHERE? I was bit terried and frustrated but i managed to
say that i married here.

They had lots of questions to ask me and wanted to know more about myself and i was really terrified and frustrated because those guys I've never met them before and i never know them.

Thats why some png people in brisbane doesn't like to interact or socialize with png people visiting here in australia because of past experiences.

I am one of those guys who ignores them.

I live in small village in Banyo but no body knows where i live.

Ipa Hulia. Hella igiri.

Respond to this message   
strongplaPNGkanaka@Brizzy

Re: I was so terrified.

April 11 2011, 12:55 PM 

Not every PNGeans are interested in other fellow pngean's personal life.....

The point is soim luksave m bigla something!!!

Respond to this message   

If at first you don't succeed try again with another wantok :)

April 24 2011, 8:22 AM 

Yes gat SAMPLA ol sa pulim nus. I feel disheartened sometimes taim ol wantok no sa bekim hello or smile blo mi and it makes me not wanna say hello or smile anymore but I always remember that we should do unto others what we want done unto ourselves.

And I agree with people who are against what the other person's talking about Fijians and Samoans. This post is not about Fijians nor Samoans. We're talking about Papua New Guineans living abroad. Em pasin blo yumi ya- lo tromoi han, tok hello na luk save lo ol wantok blo yumi. True you may have had a bad day or you got other **** going on in your life and you just don't wanna interact with "strangers" BUT I suggest you try one time. It just might turn your frown upside down happy.gif

But then again at the end of the day laiks blo wanwan.

So beautiful people nen bisi! em ol sampla lain tsol there are heaps more wantoks out there willing lo bekim han blo yu, hello blo yu na smile blo yu. It feels **** when you get rejected but when you do get a positive response it's GREAT!! B)

Respond to this message   
independent

Laiks blo wanwan...

April 24 2011, 7:42 PM 

evrybody kam lo strong blp so larem ol stap lo laik blo ol yet..

wheteher theu wanna say hi o nogat em laik blo ol...

nobody funded their trip here accept themselves.

why dont everybody mind their own business.

******* TOKTOK PLANTI MASKI

Respond to this message   
Belinda

Oh my goodness; get over it

November 3 2011, 5:49 PM 

C'mon people just get over it.
No one is obliged to acknowledge anyone in the street. don't try and force cultures to individuals who just want to go about their day.
If by coincidence your paths cross and you bump into a fellow PNG person fine but seems to me like your the one walking around making eye contact with every black person just waiting to see their reaction.
It is NOT a law & we are all encouraged not to acknowledge strangers. So just get over it or go back to PNG and smile and wave at everyone you see around there.

Respond to this message   
speak for yurself

Re: Oh my goodness; get over it

November 5 2011, 9:39 AM 

The point isn't whether there's an obligation or law or not. The point is that something is wrong with a culture or people in a culture when they can't extend the hand of friendship openly, willingly, and voluntarily to others. We should look down on such people. They don't follow the Christian ideals.

Respond to this message   
ManMountain

April 25 2011, 3:23 AM 

We are PNGns and always happy to meet fellow PNGns. I have tranversed through all major Australian cities and I have no problem with fellow PNGns in Australia, only the few odd balls.

It is how I approach them that yields the right response...you just have to show yourself as a real PNGn, not some wanna be. I have been approached by PNGns and even expats in major airports around the world including Australia, Singapore, KL, Bangkok, Dubai and you name it.

If people see you as a real deal genuine PNGn, they will greet you and talk to you...including fellow country man and woman.

So please be yourself....and there is a particular way to be PNGn.

ManMountain

Respond to this message   

April 25 2011, 2:29 PM 

who cares. mind your own business.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous

May 4 2011, 4:59 PM 

Too many PNGeans ak too many personal questions why do they do this?

Respond to this message   

September 7 2011, 1:06 AM 

Don't worry too much about it.
You can't judge someone because they don't say hello back.
Like one of the posts say, what if the person was possibly having a bad day?
Some don't like to associate with each other PNG because they've had bad
experiences. Which is completely understandable. We all have our reasons, and we all have our faults.
Its always good to acknowledge your country men though, perhaps
in some cases its a bit extreme (there really is no need for
questioning) but recognising each other is a friendly thing to do,
and it says a lot about a person.

Respond to this message   
59gipa

Snooby

September 7 2011, 10:52 PM 

mangi lo ples kam skool nambout lo hia na time mi lukim wantok, mi tingim ples na kisim gutpla feelin olsem family em stap.. please tok hello em bikpla samtin. u no save how u ba makim narapla feel time u tok hello na smile. you might just make their day. it doesn't cost anything.

Respond to this message   
Strongpla Sepik

October 25 2011, 11:14 PM 

Orr Wandok bro mi... Mi save painim wantok ya. Mi lukim mi bai nonap lusim yu. Olsem smail na tok hello lo mi em bikpla samting. Olsem mipla lusim ples kam so kutpla soim olsem yu wantok.
Wantok em mi ya!!

-Aceman!

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Snobby
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Board  

PNGSCAPE.COM Linkz