Place your banner ad here.          See all banner ads

|| ConcernedMembers.com || About || Links Library || Help Warn Others ||
|| Madison Church of Christ || Richland Hills Church of Christ || Hillcrest Church of Christ || More Churches || Sunday School in Exile ||

Where is my NewThisWeek Email subscription?Click Here

Place your text ad here.           See all text ads

Respond to this message
Original Message
  • Psallo
    • Chris (no login)
      Posted Mar 16, 2006 3:38 AM

Please excuse me for being late. My modem was fried and I was knock out by the flu bug for a couple of days. I do not have many Greek lexicons to consult but I do have Arndt & Gingrich, Thayer and, not strictly a lexicon, Trench.

I would have liked to quote you in full but that would be too lengthy. I apologize if I have inadvertently cut off the important texts.

Lucian in Parasites wrote "It is impossible to pipe without a pipe or to PSALLEIN without a lyre or to ride without a horse." (Approx 160AD)

Ken: He DOES NO say that a PSALM demands an INSTRUMENT. He said: you cannot PLUCK unless you have something to PLUCK.

Lucian simply means that one cannot psallein without a musical instrument! IOW, no instrument, no psallein.

Ken: You CANNOT use Lucian without CONFESSING that you INTEND to use music to PLUCK the fleece from the FAT HEADS, SIMPLETONS and especially WIDOWS on wellfare.

Lucian of Samosata wrote in ATTIC GREEK and not Koine.

It doesn't matter who quotes Lucian you cannot have him speaking a form of GREEK a hundred years or so after Paul.

Chris: Strange logic. Lucian may have used IM for the wrong reasons but that does not mean that when we quote him on the usage of a word (psallein) we have to used IM the same way he does. Ken is telling us IM has been used in the wrong place and for the wrong reasons. That is not scriptural but cultural reason for rejecting IM.

And since Lucian was writing in Attic Greek and not Koine (I presume you know that Attic was the foundation for the development of Koine) why bother to tell us about the wayward practices IM was used by Lucian. Just prove to us that the meaning differs. Hey, Arndt & Gingrich and Edward Robinson did not know better for referring us to Lucian.

Ken accused Tom Burgess of using ‘"quoted" resources OUT OF CONTEXT which has to be DELIBERATE. ‘

I am sure Trench, likewise, deliberately quotes early Church Fathers OUT OF CONTEXT. And Thayer is his accomplice since he referred us to Trench.

Ken: The argument is that PSALLO meant to play an instrument AFTER Paul.

Chris: Nope, that is NOT the argument. The argument is that Psallo did not change its meaning to exclude an instrument by the time Paul used it.

Ken: Psallo NEVER means to play an instrument, much less does it mean SING and PLAY and name an instrument.

Chris: Let’s see what 4 distinguish scholars of Greek have to say about that.

Arndt & Gingrich – The original meaning of Psallo was ‘pluck’, ‘play’ (a stringed instrument); this persisted at least to the time of Lucian (cf Parasite 17).

Thayer – b. …to twang the strings of a musical instrument…; and absolutely to play on a string instrument, to play the harp etc.

Trench – Psalm – properly a touching, and then a touching of the harp or other stringed instruments with the finger or with the plectrum…, was next the instrument itself, and last of all the song sung with this musical accompaniment. It is in this latest stage of its meaning that we find the word adopted in the Septuagint; and to this agree the ecclesiastical definitions of it;
      And then he quotes the early Church Fathers.

All of these "quotations" are--as far as I have been able to do THEIR work and chase them down--are deliberate lies.

Chris: ‘…as far as I have been able to…’? That does not inspire too much confidence now, does it? I’d rather depend on the scholarship of people like Trench, and Thayer.

VINCENT'S WORD STUDIES - EPHESIANS 5

Some think that the verb has here its original signification of singing with an instrument. This is its dominant sense in the Septuagint, and both Basil and Gregory of Nyssa define a psalm as implying instrumental accompaniment; and Clement of Alexandria, while forbidding the use of the flute in the agapae, permitted the harp. [Vincent goofs also: this was in PRIVATE MEALS or entertainment. And we PROVED to you that Clement identified the HARP as Christ and His Word]

Chris: So Vincent goofed because he disagreed with you.

Finally, I am not advocating the use of IM in your congregation. Sing acappella if that suits you fine.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Place your text ad here.           See all text ads

This web site is not part of or approved by any Church!

...........................THE BOOK

What Happened at the Madison Church of Christ?

There are thousands of churches being taken over across America.

This book is only about one of those churches. It's about the Madison Church Of Christ. By studying the methods used here along with the resource references you might be able to inoculate your church. At the very least you will recognize the signs early on.

Many of the current members of the Madison Church of Christ still don't know what happened.
    Some never will know! This book is for them as well.

Madison Church of Christ was a 60 year old church. At one time it was one of the largest churches in the US, and the largest Church of Christ.

It thrived for many years on the vision of it's elders and those of it's ministers. Those visions undoubtably came from the the inspired word of Jesus Christ.

At sometime in the last 10 years there was a deliberate plan by a majority of the elders to take the Madison Church of Christ into a more worldly realm.

They used secrecy, covert planning, and outside sources to scheme and to change the format and direction of the Madison Church of Christ.

The Elders knew that the membership would never approve such a plan. Using the tools of the "Community Church Movement"(consultants, books, seminars, meetings,planters,seeders) they slowly started initiating change so it was never noticed by the members until it was too late.....

At the heart of the plan was the fact that old members were going to be driven off so new techniques could be used to go out and reach the unchurched through new "Contemporary Holy Entertainment" methods developed by the "Community Church Movement"

Old members had to be kept on board long enough to get their plans ready, or the funds would not be there to pay for the new building. So by the plans very nature, it had to be secret.

The church had no plan in effect to renew or approve elders. There was never any need. The elders had always been "as approved by God". 10 of the last 15 elders would begin to shed some doubt on that.

The Elders did not even need a majority at first, because some of the elders went along unwittingly.

This edition starts shortly after some of the members begin to smell something strange in January 2001. Later editions may go back and fill in some of the timeline.

To even start to understand whats happening here, you must read the background materials in the first of the book.

This is only the first edition, and not the end. New editions will be printed as needed. To keep abreast of current changes, please visit our web site; http://www.concernedmembers.com/madison

Here is the list of players;

5 Godly Elders
    10 Not so Godly Elders
    120 "Deacons" (allegiance unknown)
    2,800 - 4,000 church "members"
    2 "teners" (people who have publicly confessed to have broken all ten commandments)
    Unknown number of "sinners" (This is what the 10 elders call us.)
    Unknown number of "demons" (Flying everywhere, to many to count)

Click Here......The Book is Available Now FREE

Place your banner ad here.           See all banner ads

...ConcernedMembers.com ...About ...Links Library ...Sunday School in Exile ...Help Warn Others

FastCounter by bCentral

CM Visit Counter as of 6/25/2015

Site Visits Since 6/30/2015
    page counter