Place your banner ad here.          See all banner ads

|| ConcernedMembers.com || About || Links Library || Help Warn Others ||
|| Madison Church of Christ || Richland Hills Church of Christ || Hillcrest Church of Christ || More Churches || Sunday School in Exile ||

Where is my NewThisWeek Email subscription?Click Here

Place your text ad here.           See all text ads

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Steve Flatt Leaving Lipscomb

April 8 2005 at 9:04 AM
John  (no login)
from IP address 167.219.0.144

What does this mean for Church of Christ in Nashville, specifically Madison?

http://www.lipscomb.edu/filter.asp?SID=4&fi_key=461&co_key=7868

Lipscomb University to begin presidential search

Lipscomb University officials will begin an immediate, nationwide search for a successor to President Stephen F. Flatt, who has been named senior vice president for development at National HealthCare Corporation, headquartered in Murfreesboro, Tenn.

Hilton Dean, chairman of Lipscomb’s Board of Trustees, said today that a search committee would begin work very quickly toward identifying and securing a new president, the 17th in Lipscomb’s 114-year history.

“We’re saddened that Steve is leaving and we wish him well in his new endeavor. Steve has been a very effective leader and has had a tremendous impact on campus. We will immediately launch a nationwide search to find someone who will build on what Steve and those who have come before him have accomplished here,” said Dean.

Flatt said he looks forward to the opportunities that lie ahead at NHC.

“Thinking about leaving Lipscomb University, my alma mater, has been one of the most difficult decisions of my life. I truly believe Lipscomb is a premier academic institution, whose Christian context is unique, and I have been very pleased with the progress we’ve made and the position Lipscomb is in for future growth.

“Having said that, I am extremely excited about my new role at NHC and the potential it offers for serving in a different way. NHC has a great history as an industry leader in senior care. This represents a tremendous opportunity for me to join the leadership team of one of America’s greatest companies,” Flatt said.

“I see education and senior healthcare as aspects of ministry. Both provide opportunities to help people at critical times in their lives. At Lipscomb, I’ve had the wonderful opportunity to help students. As a large group of our population ages, demand for quality care for the elderly will grow exponentially. As senior vice president of development I look forward to helping NHC meet that demand by providing the highest quality of care available.”

Lipscomb University is one of the few institutions in the nation that educates students from pre-kindergarten through the master’s degree level in one system. Lipscomb University enrolls approximately 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students in 80 major fields of study leading to bachelor’s degrees, and through master’s degree programs in business administration, biblical studies and education. David Lipscomb Campus School enrolls nearly 1,500 in pre-K through grade 12. Lipscomb is associated with the churches of Christ.

“We will be looking for a candidate who is well respected within the Church of Christ, who has demonstrated leadership skills and an aggressive vision for growth and the excellence that is demanded by faith at all levels of our institution,” Dean said.

Flatt, a 1977 Lipscomb University graduate, began his tenure as Lipscomb’s president in June 1997. Under his leadership Lipscomb’s academic departments were reorganized into five colleges, and the Raymond B. Jones School of Engineering and the Lipscomb/Vanderbilt Nursing Partnership were established. Curriculum and degree expansions included a master of business administration, a master of divinity, bachelor of science degrees in computer engineering and engineering mechanics, and a bachelor of science in nursing degree; and study abroad programs were added in London, Athens and Montevideo. Other accomplishments during Flatt’s tenure include transitioning the athletic program from the NAIA to the NCAA-Division I, creating an Office of Multicultural Affairs and establishing four competency centers – the Center for Leadership Excellence, Center for Character Development, Center for International Peace and Justice and the Center for Spiritual Renewal. Flatt also guided the university through a $150 million capital and endowment campaign which has raised $110 million to date. Campus enhancements during this time include the construction of the 5,000-seat Allen Arena, a parking garage, 148-bed addition to Johnson Residence Hall, a major renovation of the Student Center, several dormitory renovations, and the beginning of construction on the 77,000-square foot Ezell Center for Biblical Studies.

Flatt began his career with Lipscomb in 1977 as assistant to the vice president. He has also served as director of admissions, vice president/business affairs and vice president/institutional planning. From 1986-1990, Flatt was president of Ezell-Harding Christian School and was minister of Madison Church of Christ from 1986-1997.

Flatt will begin his role at NHC June 15.

This message has been edited by Donnie.Cruz from IP address 65.1.117.59 on Jul 30, 2005 6:00 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Donnie Cruz
(no login)

“Lipscomb president a finalist for top job at UTC”

April 10 2005, 2:07 AM 

Source: The Christian Chronicle

BREAKING NEWS

Lipscomb president a finalist for top job at UTC

March 24, 2005

Steve Flatt one of four candidates for chancellorship at University of Tennessee at Chattanooga

Steve Flatt, president of Lipscomb University, survived the final cut of candidates and is one of four finalists for chancellor of the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga.

Flatt’s name, along with the names of three other contenders, will be submitted to John Petersen, president of the University of Tennessee, the Chattanooga Times Free Press reported March 24. Petersen will interview the four in the next couple of weeks and choose the person to replace former Chancellor Bill Stacy, who resigned in August to become headmaster of Baylor School.

After a recent interview at UTC, Flatt, said he is excited to be named a finalist

“I was even more excited leaving campus than when I arrived,” Flatt told the Times Free Press. “UTC has unlimited potential.”

The other finalists are Roger G. Brown, provost and vice chancellor for academic affairs at the University of North Carolina at Pembroke; Peter S. Hoff, former president of the University of Maine; and Martha D. Saunders, vice president for academic affairs at Columbus State University in Georgia.

Flatt has served as president of Lipscomb, a Nashville, Tenn.-based school associated with churches of Christ, since 1997.

Respond to this message   
Donnie Cruz
(no login)

“Flatt leaving Lipscomb” [by The Christian Chronicle]

April 10 2005, 2:13 AM 

Source: The Christian Chronicle

BREAKING NEWS

Flatt leaving Lipscomb

By Erik Tryggestad
The Christian Chronicle
April 07, 2005

Steve Flatt accepts position with health care company

Stephen Flatt is leaving Lipscomb University for a new job — though not the job most expected.

In late March Flatt, who has served since 1997 as president of the Nashville, Tenn., school associated with churches of Christ, was one of four finalists for the position of chancellor at the University of Tennessee, Chattanooga (UTC).

But an April 7 news release from Lipscomb states that Flatt is leaving his alma mater not for another university, but to serve as an executive for a Nashville-area healthcare company.

Flatt has been named senior vice president for development for National HealthCare Corporation, headquartered in Murfreesboro, Tenn. He will start the job June 15.

“This decision in no way reflects any dissatisfaction on my part with Lipscomb or the great work being done here,” Flatt told Lipscomb's faculty and staff April 7. “Thinking about leaving Lipscomb University … has been one of the most difficult decisions of my life. …

“I have great confidence in the Board of Trustees and the decisions they will make regarding a successor,” Flatt said.

University officials will begin an immediate, nationwide search for Lipscomb's next president, according to university spokeswoman Kim Chaudoin. Hilton Dean, chairman of Lipscomb's Board of Trustees, said that a search committee will work quickly to identify and secure a new president, the 17th in Lipscomb's 114-year history.

“We're saddened that Steve is leaving and we wish him well in his new endeavor,” Dean said. “Steve has been a very effective leader and has had a tremendous, positive impact on Lipscomb.”

With regard to the chancellor search at UTC, Flatt would only say that “sometimes God leads us in ways we may not expect. I believe God's hand is in this opportunity, and I am eager to see what the Lord has in store for my family and me through this new ministry.”

Flatt said he looks forward to the opportunities that lie ahead at NHC.

“NHC has a great history as an industry leader in senior care. This represents a tremendous opportunity for me to join the leadership team of one of America's greatest companies,” Flatt said.

Respond to this message   
me
(no login)

Dear Bro. Flatt

April 14 2005, 5:23 AM 

April 19, 2002

Dr. Steve Flatt, President
David Lipscomb University
Nashville, TN.

Dear Bro. Flatt:

I am sure that you do not know me, but my wife and I worshiped at the Madison church for a short time while you were preaching there. We were blessed by the fine lessons you presented. We both attended Lipscomb High School in the 50s.

I know that you must be aware of the serious problems that are now sweeping across the face of our brotherhood. These are the same problems that have recently ravaged the Madison congregation. I can recall hearing Bro. Ira North say with pride that in all of his years there Madison had never had a problem they could not resolve, or a division.

Having spent your life as a member of the Lord's church and having preached for most of your adult life, you know that there are folks among us espousing ideas of worship, about salvation, about the role of women and a number of other important points that are contrary to Scripture and certainly contrary to what we and our fathers before us knew to be New Testament Christianity.

God has provided you with the wonderful opportunity to head David Lipscomb University in this day of testing. Bro. Lipscomb was one of the key leaders of the church in a day when our brethren faced problems within their ranks almost identical to those we are facing today. Through the Gospel Advocate and his Nashville Bible School he and a band of faithful men were able to salvage a faithful remnant and rebuild the churches of Christ. As young preachers we were able to see the wonderful fruit of his labors. Now just 40 years later we see a brotherhood that is being torn apart by those who are determined to change the church into something after their own imagination.

The impression of many is that some of those who are leading the people away from the Old Paths of God's Word are part of your staff there at David Lipscomb. The association of a significant number of your faculty with Bro. Rubel Shelly and the Woodmont Hills Church further indicates this. I would not presume to tell you how to run your business as president of the university. But I would plead with you to think of the welfare of the Lord's church, not only in Nashville, but across the nation. In the digression of last century, we lost most of the schools of higher learning associated with our brotherhood. We cannot afford to lose David Lipscomb to those who no longer wish to be simple New Testament Christians. You have been invested with great power and influence. Please use it to build up and promote the unity and welfare of the churches from which you draw your students and support. Do not allow teachers of error to use DLU as a platform to undermine and destroy that which is most sacred to the people of God.

Bro. Lipscomb was a faithful member of the church of Christ, he loved the church and dedicated his life, his wealth and his property to achieve her success. It would be a terrible travesty to see the school he bequeathed to our brethren used to undo all he labored for.

Please accept this letter in the spirit in which it is sent. My prayers go up to God that he will bless and guide you to steer a straight course for the school and that it will do for the churches of Christ in the 21st century what it did in the century before.

Respond to this message   
me
(no login)

yahoo posting

April 14 2005, 5:28 AM 

Flatt to Plot Future Growth for NHC
Thursday April 7, 3:46 pm ET

MURFREESBORO, Tenn.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--April 7, 2005--National HealthCare Corporation (AMEX:NHC - News), one of the nation's oldest long-term health care companies, announced today that it has hired Steve Flatt, current President of Lipscomb University, to the newly created position as Senior Vice President of Development. Flatt, who today announced his resignation from Lipscomb, will assume his role effective June 15.
"We are extremely excited and fortunate to have Dr. Flatt joining our leadership team," NHC President and CEO Robert Adams said. "As we develop new facilities and services in the long term care sector, Steve will serve as an effective liaison between our communities and our operations." Chairman Andy Adams also stated, "NHC is committed to move forward in caring for the needs of the aging population in this nation. By 2010 our elderly population will begin to stress the resources and facilities in our communities. In 2020 over 20% in the population will be over the age of 65 compared to approximately 11% today. NHC intends to continue to be a leader in providing quality care to what has been referred to as the Greatest Generation. Steve will assist us greatly in achieving this goal."

Dr. Steve Flatt received his B.A. degree from Lipscomb and his M.A. degree and a Ph.D. from George Peabody College of Vanderbilt University. Since 1997 he has served as the President of Lipscomb. Prior to that he served as President of Ezell Harding Christian School in Nashville and Vice President of Financial Affairs and Institutional Planning at Lipscomb. Flatt currently serves on the Board of Directors for the NCAA Division 1, President of the Atlantic Sun Athletic Conference and on the Board of SunTrust Bank. He is the Immediate past chair, Board of Directors, of the Tennessee Independent College and Universities Association.

NHC operates for itself and third parties 74 long-term health care centers with 9,177 beds. NHC also operates 31 homecare programs, six independent living centers and assisted living centers at 22 locations. NHC's other services include managed care specialty medical units, Alzheimer's units, hospice and a rehabilitation services company. Additional information about NHC including the company's Form 10-K annual report and press releases is available on our web site at www.NHCcare.com

Statements in this press release that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements. NHC cautions investors that any forward-looking statements made involve risks and uncertainties and are not guarantees of future performance. All forward-looking statements represent NHC's best judgment as of the date of this release

Respond to this message   
me
(no login)

Message from Stephen Flatt to Lipscomb employees

April 14 2005, 5:36 AM 

Message from Stephen Flatt to Lipscomb employees

April 07, 2005

This afternoon, news will break that I have been named senior vice president for development at National HealthCare Corporation. I was recently approached by NHC about this opportunity, and after prayerful consideration and consultation, I have decided to accept this position.

This decision in no way reflects any dissatisfaction on my part with Lipscomb or the great work being done here. Thinking about leaving Lipscomb University, my alma mater, has been one of the most difficult decisions of my life. I truly believe Lipscomb is a premier academic institution, whose Christian context is unique, and I have been very pleased with the progress we’ve made and the position Lipscomb is in for future growth. I will continue to have a great affection for Lipscomb. I’m very pleased that my son, Lee, will be enrolled at the university this fall and that my daughter, Rachel, will continue her studies at the campus school. I have great confidence in the Board of Trustees and the decisions they will make regarding a successor.

As I mentioned to you earlier concerning the opportunity at UTC, sometimes God leads us in ways we may not expect. I believe God’s hand is in this opportunity and I am eager to see what the Lord has in store for my family and me through this new ministry.

I see education and senior healthcare as aspects of ministry. Both provide opportunities to help people at critical times in their lives. At Lipscomb, I’ve had the wonderful opportunity to help students; now I’m going to focus on helping to insure and improve quality of life for those in their retirement years.

I deeply appreciate the wonderful support that you have given me since the beginning of my presidency in 1997 and particularly for your well wishes during these past few weeks. I look forward to continuing my relationship with Lipscomb University in new and broader ways that will become available to me through my new work.

I will always bleed Bison purple and gold.

Steve

Respond to this message   
John
(no login)

Hazelip named interim president

April 20 2005, 9:13 AM 

Respond to this message   
John
(no login)

Pepperdine Professor Named LU President

July 25 2005, 3:43 PM 

From the Tennessean

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050725/NEWS04/50725004

California law professor named president of Lipscomb University

By MICHAEL CASS
Staff Writer

A law professor who is an expert on dispute resolution has been named Lipscomb University's new president.

L. Randolph Lowry III, professor of law and founder of the nationally known Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif., will take office as Lipscomb's 17th president Nov. 1, the Nashville school announced today.

Lowry, a 53-year-old California native, holds bachelor's and master's degrees from Pepperdine and a law degree from Hamline University in St. Paul, Minn. He said in a news release that Lipscomb alumni served as his mentors as he later worked at those two schools and at Willamette University.

''It is with deep appreciation for the long history of Lipscomb's university and campus school programs, and great anticipation of the future that lies before us, that I accept this leadership position,'' Lowry said.

Lowry will succeed Steve Flatt, who recently left after eight years at Lipscomb to become senior vice president of development at Murfreesboro-based National HealthCare Corp. Former Lipscomb President Harold Hazelip has been serving as the university's interim president.

Respond to this message   
Ken Sublett
(no login)

Strauss

July 25 2005, 8:37 PM 

Strauss was "winged" out of Pepperdine and was called in to RESOLVE the problem at Madison. They are decidedly on the SIDE of the change agents accordint to their Web page at the time and will RESOLVE in the favor Lipscomb has already gone.

They use the Heglian Dialectic used by other CHANGE AGENTS in history. The scheme is to get the ENEMIES involved in their "resolving system" of loaded questions and surveys.

The goal is to reach a CONCENSUS somewhere on the side of change. The goal would be that the conservatives who have abandoned Lipscomb and resulted in this change would be manipulated into meeting the changelings half way. But, there is no compromise with evil and silly "professors" leading the church into the wilderness.

I don't know this guy but WHY would Lipscomb hire a lawyer-conflict resolver rather than a Godly Bible believer and promoter of the MANDATE for which believers PURCHASED the institution now lost. The CONFLICT can easily be solved with a wholesale house cleaning.

LaGard Smith of Pepperdine may be the one level head and lawyer at Lipscomb and maybe something better is cooking.

Respond to this message   
First Time Poster
(no login)

Re: Strauss

July 29 2005, 12:42 AM 

Speaking about Straus, Ken said, "They are decidedly on the SIDE of the change agents accordint(sic) to their Web page..."

Where is this? I'm not saying otherwise. I'm saying that after reading that post, I looked at their website and couldn't find any reference to Madison. Can you provide a link or point me in the right direction? Thank you.

Respond to this message   
Ken Sublett
(no login)

Re: Strauss

July 29 2005, 11:16 AM 

David, you will have to look at the old Madison archieves for the history. They probably don't keep lists of their older CLIENTS. You might remember some of the Strauss involvement at Madison??

Because Lipscomb's students are 70% church of Christ and their faculty is close to 100% something but NOT church of Christ, they will DECIDE whether to MOVE ON to a BROADER base. I am pretty sure that they will HAVE to move on: my middle daughter did here degree there and decided that it decidedly was not a "christian" college.

Ken

Respond to this message   
Donnie Cruz
(no login)

“Lipscomb selects new president”

July 29 2005, 12:04 AM 

Source: The City Paper (July 26, 2005), Nashville, Tennessee

Lipscomb University has selected a Pepperdine University law professor as its new president. L. Randolph Lowry III, 53, will assume the position Nov. 1. See page 3.

Lowry starts Nov. 1

Lipscomb picks new leader

By Bill Harless
bharless@nashvillecitypaper.com

Lipscomb University has selected a Pepperdine University law professor as its new president. L. Randolph Lowry III, 53, will assume the post Nov. 1.

He is founder and director of the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution at Pepperdine, a program that has ranked with Harvard as one of the top dispute resolution programs in the country.

Lowry replaces Steve Flatt, who left the university in June for a position with Murfreesboro-based National HealthCare Corporation.

The appointment of Lowry is a departure for the Church of Christ-affiliated school, whose past three presidents each arrived with stronger backgrounds in ministry and religious education.

A 10-member in-house search committee selected Lowry from a pool of 20 applicants. The school’s Board of Trustees voted unanimously Monday to appoint him.

Atlanta-based executive search firm Baker, Parker & Associates assisted with the nationwide search.

Lowry said he will aim to heighten the university’s prestige and said Lipscomb will have to decide whether it wants “to remain a fairly regional school” or to “move beyond that, looking at a broader constituency of students from throughout the country.”

He said that he wants to grow the school’s undergraduate body—currently about 2,500—to 3,500.

“As I understand, currently about 70 percent of the students are from our church constituency, and about 30 percent of the students are from other [non-Church of Christ] faith traditions.

“My sense is that those who do not share our particular heritage can still find an outstanding educational opportunity at Lipscomb, and we want them, if they’re interested in a faith-based education, to consider us.”

He said he and the board very much intend to keep Lipscomb a religious school.

Hilton Dean, chair of Lipscomb University’s Board of Trustees, cited Lowry’s achievement of bringing the Straus Institute into national prominence as a primary reason for selecting him president.

But also, “During the time he [Lowry] has achieved professional prominence and excellence in his chosen field, [he has] also maintained a strong leadership in his Christian faith,” Dean said.

Lowry has mediated several multi-million dollar civil and public policy disputes and has trained organizations including the Federal Judicial Center, Nike, Lexis-Nexis, State Farm Insurance, and Chevron in dispute resolution. He has served on numerous governmental ethics committees in California and is an annual visiting faculty member at Vermont Law School and City University of Hong Kong.

Respond to this message   
Donnie Cruz
(no login)

From this source: http://www.lipscomb.edu/

July 30 2005, 5:42 AM 

Source: http://www.lipscomb.edu/

Lipscomb Board Chooses Lowry for Presidency

Dr. L. Randolph Lowry III, founder of the nationally-recognized Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution and professor of law at Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif., has been selected as Lipscomb University’s 17th president, the board of trustees announced today. Lowry, 53, will take office Nov. 1.

Lowry is an elder at the Conejo Valley Church of Christ in Thousand Oaks, Calif., and has been a regular public speaker. He has given keynote presentations at Bible lectureships and conferences including those at Faulkner University, Abilene Christian University, Harding University, Pepperdine University, Oklahoma Christian University and Rochester College. Through his work at the Straus Institute, Lowry has served churches and individuals in resolving church-related disputes. Lowry is a member of the board of trustees of Abilene Christian University, is on the advisory board for Jones Law School at Faulkner University and is chairman of the board of Sunset Haven Christian Care Centers. He has also been involved in leadership and conflict management consulting and workshops at individual congregations across the country. Lowry also created several programs at Pepperdine that specifically serve Churches of Christ, including the Annual Church Leaders’ Dialogue, Leading the Church in Difficult Moments workshop and Managing Conflict in the Church workshop.

“One of the key factors in choosing a president for Lipscomb is his ability to fulfill the founders’ vision for the university as interpreted by the Board of Trustees. Dr. Lowry has a demonstrated record of academic excellence, which has characterized Lipscomb since its beginning as Nashville Bible School in 1891. As an elder in the church, he is also committed to personal spiritual growth and to the values our board has articulated in the Statement of Christian Heritage and Commitment," said Hilton Dean, chairman of Lipscomb University’s board of trustees.

Lowry said he has a deep appreciation for Lipscomb.

“While I have degrees and experiences from other institutions, I feel a special kinship to the 115-year tradition of Lipscomb University. My mentors at the three universities where I have served have been Lipscomb graduates. It is with deep appreciation for the long history of Lipscomb’s university and campus school programs, and great anticipation of the future that lies before us, that I accept this leadership position,” said Lowry.

After receiving a bachelor’s degree in political science and a master’s degree in public administration from Pepperdine University in Malibu, Calif., and a juris doctor degree from Hamline University, in St. Paul, Minn., Lowry focused his career on higher education. He held a number of administrative positions but spent most of his first decade in the president’s office at two private Christian universities, Hamline University and Willamette University, in Salem, Ore.

In 1986, he joined the law school faculty at Pepperdine and established a new international academic program in the emerging field of dispute resolution.

“While enjoying the administrative side of higher education, I always thought that, to be a college president, one would need the credibility of having served on the full-time faculty. The move to law teaching balanced my administrative experiences and allowed me to fully engage in teaching, research and scholarship for 19 years,” said Lowry.

Under Lowry’s leadership, the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution has become the premier program of its kind in the United States. This year the Straus Institute at Pepperdine School of Law was named number one in the country by U.S. News & World Report in its Guide to Graduate Schools. The program has held that distinction for a number of years. The Straus Institute is a comprehensive academic education program that attracts students and professionals from around the world.

In addition to teaching at Pepperdine, Lowry has worked, literally, around the world. He is an annual visiting faculty member at Vermont Law School and City University of Hong Kong. He has also taught at Shantou University, in Beijing, China; Bond University in Gold Coast, Australia; and for Hamline University at the University of Modena in Modena, Italy. His consulting and training practice has included work for the legal community in The Netherlands, the introduction of mediation in India through a grant from the Asian Development Bank, training for judges in Buenos Aires, Argentina, as well as consultation with lawyers for Freshfields, an international law firm in Asia.

Lowry brings to Lipscomb University a substantial history of community and professional involvement. He is the co-founder and first president of the Southern California Mediation Association, co-founder to the Ventura Center for Dispute Settlement, served as a gubernatorial appointment to the California Dispute Resolution Advisory Council, a member of the California Judicial Council’s Task Force on the Quality of Justice as well as the California Supreme Court Blue Ribbon Committee on Arbitration Ethics.

Just as faith and learning are brought together at Lipscomb University, Lowry has brought them together throughout his career. He has established programs that have educated thousands of ministers and Christian leaders in reconciliation and conflict management. In addition to his speaking at Bible lectureships, Lowry has also spoken to a variety of organizations such as Laity Lodge, Christian Conciliation Service and the Association of Christian Schools International.

Lowry is a native of Long Beach, Calif. His wife, Rhonda, is also involved in higher education, having directed a graduate school development program. Most recently, she taught at both the graduate and undergraduate college levels. Lowry and his wife have three children: John, a lawyer who is on the ministry staff at Preston Road Church of Christ in Dallas, Texas; Janet, a Ph.D. candidate at the University of California-Santa Barbara; and, Melinda, a sophomore at Wheaton College in Illinois.

Lowry succeeds Dr. Steve Flatt who stepped down as president June 1 to accept a position with National HealthCare Corporation in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. Dr. Harold Hazelip, who served as president from 1986-1997, is serving as interim president and will continue to do so until Nov. 1.

Source: http://www.lipscomb.edu/

Respond to this message   
Tom Brite
(no login)

Re: From this source: http://www.lipscomb.edu/

July 30 2005, 4:52 PM 

We have been on vacation for the past week and I just learned of the appointment of Randy Lowry as President of Lipscomb today on this website. I have known Randy Lowry for the past 13 years. He is an exceptional man, with strong Christian values. I personally do not think that a better man could have been picked for this job. Lipscomb is lucky to have a man of this quality agree to lead the school.

Respond to this message   
Ken Sublett
(no login)

President

July 30 2005, 5:46 PM 

I took a look at their web site: it looks pretty traditional.

Tom do you know F. LaGard Smith?

Ken

Respond to this message   
Tom Brite
(no login)

Re: President

July 30 2005, 7:04 PM 

Ken, no, I do not know Bro. Smith.

One additional thing that I will mention regarding Randy is that the primary focus of the Straus Institute, and the work that Randy has been involved with since 1988 is mediating business disputes, teaching dispute resolution techniques to national and international corporations, mediating pending litigation in state and federal courts, and family law issues. He is recognized nationally as one of the top mediators and dispute resolution teachers in the US. I believe that I would be correct in saying that the "religious side" of their mediation work would only be a small fraction of the work that they do.

Tom

Respond to this message   
John
(no login)

why flatt left

July 31 2005, 11:51 AM 

steve flatt is giving serious thought to running for governor of tenn. however being a preacher and college president doesn't quite give enough qualification so his friend mr adams will let him "work" at nhc for "management credentials " on his resume.

flatt, like many frustrated members of the churches of christ has grown weary with the self serving bellyaching going about as more churches seem to have lost their burden for "the lost" but have time to find fault with everyone they disagree with. it's tough being a president of a great school when the student body of today wants it be more like pepperdine and the "faithful followers" many of whom love this website, are trying to keep lipscomb more like the freed hardeman of the 70s. it's a no win job. everyday somebody 's mad and bunch of busy bodies are fussing about on this website

Respond to this message   
Ken Sublett
(no login)

Flatt?

July 31 2005, 10:52 PM 

I think Steve loaded the faculty with PhDuhs who teach against those that pay their retirement plan. He also was a founding member of the Jubilee Incorporated which created more "turf battle" sowing of discord than at any point in church of Christ history. Of course, before he could go to Lipscomb he had to be SANITIZED by resigning the CORPORATION which was not run by a Shaller or Rick Warren and did not make it into the 500 on Wall Street.

National Health was also kind enough to give an OUT to a fairly recent BIBLE GURU. Remember? I hear that he will be more like a chaplin.

The "scholarly" garbage that flows out of LU is about like that which flows out of most of the "Christian colleges" which have been INFILTRATED and DIVERTED by people who cannot be Bible believers.

I suspect that like all of the changing of churches into "theaters for holy entertainment" the SUCKED IN SEEKERS never pay the bills. That means that those who BOUGHT AND PAID FOR LU do not think it should be STOLEN by people who are decidedly ANTI anything the church of Christ stands for. I have pushed the idea since 1997 that they can STEAL your university but you can make it AN UNFUNDED INSTITUTION. With 70% church of Christ students it should remain a church of Christ institution just like a Baptist college will always be a Baptist college and YOUR house will not be stolen by thieves. I think the news is out and if LU produces PREACHERS they will all have to work for Rubel or his few friends.

You might not appreciate other colleges which are faithful to their OWNERS but that is just the way it is. And it turns out that the views you probably LUST to infiltrate such as instrumental music, an anti baptism stance and a "broader role for women" which was Rubel Shelly's platform can be REFUTED by any one who fished Card Class, fast ones of the slow group. The junk which is trafficked by you guys about Music shows ignorance of the Bible beginning in the garden of Eden, through all of the FALLS, the end time Babylonian Whore religion, all of the church Fathers, all of the founders of denominations and the views and practices of the Catholic Church.

The GREEK scholars have never looked up the original documents and just don't know the universal connection between RELIGIONISM with "exhilaration", sexuality and perverted sexuality. No, no musical worship team can replace Lord Jesus and LEAD YOU INTO THE PRESENCE OF GOD. No, the Bible has not been FILTERED of all truth except 7 facts ABOUT Jesus. No, I have looked at your sermons for the last several years and they have used all of the RACA words against those who will not BOW when they PIPE. They have NEVER obeyed the command to "teach that which has been taught." They are always used as fodder for smooth philosophy. I would blush if I paid the best rhetorician or sophist for TAKING LIBERTIES with the Bible to construct YOUR OWN NARRATIVE or even to WRITE yourself in the place of Moses. Now, individuals do not have the right to READ, INTERPRET AND SPEAK the Bible outside of the COMMUNITY where COMMUNITY always means COMMUNE. No, the church will not be revisioned using hireling, changeling terms directly from neo-paganism and witchcraft. No, only a handfull of churches have been stolen so they can add instruments which apparently could not be tolerated by elders who tolerated Rubel "working our his own theology.

I think that the LAWYER and CONFLICT resolver is coming to resolve the conflict within the university and if I were a PLANT teaching ignorant Bible and history I would be looking for a job. The problem is that the Christian Church or no one else will hire people who have BETRAYED their PAYMASTERS. Maybe Steve will give you a job on the dole of the government.

The "scholarly" garbage that flows out of most PhDUHs is truly embarrassing to anyone who has read the ORIGINAL documents of men like the Campbells, Luther, Calvin and Paul.

I think you think that church of Christ "traditionalism" is based on the Campbells. Contrary to Rubel the Commands, Examples and necessary inferences come DIRECTLY from the Bible and was taught by most of the church fathers and is supported by men like Luther and Calvin. Steve taught that NOT using instruments was JUST OUR TRADITIONS. I don't see how you can run for governor if you don't know the universal history against any kind of MUSICAL performance. I am quite sure that you buy the dogma that the only purpose of the church is TO WORSHIP. For that, of course, you need a STAFF INFECTION. The purpose if you had ever read the Bible is that assembly or gathering uses a form of the Greek SYNAGOGUE. There was no praise service in the synagogue and any one who did performance music in the ekklesia would have been cast out forever.

I believe that what is probably husband and wife have a relationship with the preacherhood that IS THICKER THAN THE BLOOD OF CHRIST. But, I can tell you, I think the heretics at Lipscomb will not survive the SWING of the pendulum which ALWAYS swings.

Respond to this message   
Linda Gal
(no login)

Nutz

June 4 2017, 3:57 PM 

You are insane; that is JUST PLAIN NUTZ! How dare you interpret the Bible for the rest of us! Phil 4 "Rejoice in the Lord!" You're probably dead, anyway. I will pray for you.

Respond to this message   
Ken Sublett
(Login Ken.Sublett)
ConcernedMembersMadison

Re: Nutz

June 4 2017, 5:29 PM 

I agree: we have 168 hours during the week and we should rejoice each moment. It is impossible for anyone to rejoice for you or even leading you in rejoicing. I would hate to have to wait until Sunday and charge me for letting me rejoice with my wife and kitty! God does not enter houses built by human hands and He cannot be worshipped with any work of our hands.

Notice that verse 8 says to THINK on these things.

I rejoiced when my 90 plus sister brought me a large bag of black walnuts!! No, I will not give the preacher 10% of them.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Place your text ad here.           See all text ads

This web site is not part of or approved by any Church!

...........................THE BOOK

What Happened at the Madison Church of Christ?

There are thousands of churches being taken over across America.

This book is only about one of those churches. It's about the Madison Church Of Christ. By studying the methods used here along with the resource references you might be able to inoculate your church. At the very least you will recognize the signs early on.

Many of the current members of the Madison Church of Christ still don't know what happened.
Some never will know! This book is for them as well.

Madison Church of Christ was a 60 year old church. At one time it was one of the largest churches in the US, and the largest Church of Christ.

It thrived for many years on the vision of it's elders and those of it's ministers. Those visions undoubtably came from the the inspired word of Jesus Christ.

At sometime in the last 10 years there was a deliberate plan by a majority of the elders to take the Madison Church of Christ into a more worldly realm.

They used secrecy, covert planning, and outside sources to scheme and to change the format and direction of the Madison Church of Christ.

The Elders knew that the membership would never approve such a plan. Using the tools of the "Community Church Movement"(consultants, books, seminars, meetings,planters,seeders) they slowly started initiating change so it was never noticed by the members until it was too late.....

At the heart of the plan was the fact that old members were going to be driven off so new techniques could be used to go out and reach the unchurched through new "Contemporary Holy Entertainment" methods developed by the "Community Church Movement"

Old members had to be kept on board long enough to get their plans ready, or the funds would not be there to pay for the new building. So by the plans very nature, it had to be secret.

The church had no plan in effect to renew or approve elders. There was never any need. The elders had always been "as approved by God". 10 of the last 15 elders would begin to shed some doubt on that.

The Elders did not even need a majority at first, because some of the elders went along unwittingly.

This edition starts shortly after some of the members begin to smell something strange in January 2001. Later editions may go back and fill in some of the timeline.

To even start to understand whats happening here, you must read the background materials in the first of the book.

This is only the first edition, and not the end. New editions will be printed as needed. To keep abreast of current changes, please visit our web site; http://www.concernedmembers.com/madison

Here is the list of players;

5 Godly Elders
10 Not so Godly Elders
120 "Deacons" (allegiance unknown)
2,800 - 4,000 church "members"
2 "teners" (people who have publicly confessed to have broken all ten commandments)
Unknown number of "sinners" (This is what the 10 elders call us.)
Unknown number of "demons" (Flying everywhere, to many to count)

Click Here......The Book is Available Now FREE

Place your banner ad here.           See all banner ads

...ConcernedMembers.com ...About ...Links Library ...Sunday School in Exile ...Help Warn Others

FastCounter by bCentral

CM Visit Counter as of 6/25/2015

Site Visits Since 6/30/2015
page counter