Place your banner ad here.          See all banner ads

|| ConcernedMembers.com || About || Links Library || Help Warn Others ||
|| Madison Church of Christ || Richland Hills Church of Christ || Hillcrest Church of Christ || More Churches || Sunday School in Exile ||

Where is my NewThisWeek Email subscription?Click Here

Place your text ad here.           See all text ads

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Easter Drama Performers Were “Missing in Action” This Year at Madison

March 27 2008 at 7:56 AM
Donnie Cruz  (Login Donnie.Cruz)
ConcernedMembersMadison
from IP address 68.19.223.4

Surprise! Surprise! There was an announcement in the previous Sunday’s worship guide: “Participants Needed for the 2008 Madison Family EGG HUNT Valley View Camp at 11a.m. March 22nd.”

That was the extent of the anticipated Easter “experience” in 2008—the EGG HUNT.

The “Drama Ministry Kickoff January 19” was announced in 2003.

There was an article in the Marcher (April 9, 2003) titled: “Easter Sunday in ‘Canaan’s Land’” [for children of an age group]. There was the “Easter Service.”

The church sign made this announcement in March 2004—

“WORSHIP WITH US EASTER APRIL 11, 8 & 10:30 A.M.
    EASTER PASSION WORSHIP DRAMA AT 10:30 A.M.

In the next few years, the “Interactive Easter Worship Drama” became an annual event.

But it wasn’t so in 2008. There was no mention of any of the following expressions: “Easter Sunday” … “Easter Passion” … “Easter Passion Worship” … “in the form of an interactive worship drama” … “the Easter Story” … “attend this special time of worship” … “during the Easter Morning worship service” ….

Is this the beginning of the end of the “Easter” practice at Madison? If so, I believe it is a move in the right direction.

[More on this in the “What Happened” Timeline later.]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dave
(no login)

Re: Easter Drama Performers Were “Missing in Action” This Year at Madison

March 27 2008, 3:48 PM 

Angry words, O let them never
From the tongue, unbridled slip.
With the soul’s best impulse
Ever check them,
Ere they soil the lips.
Angry words are quickly spoken,
Bitter thoughts are rashly stirred,
Fondest links of life are broken,
By a single angry word.

"Keep your tongue between your teeth" and "Think twice before you speak once." The Scottish people have some proverbs, too: "Keep your tongue a prisoner and your body will go free" and "A long tongue shortens friendships." My mother would also tell us, "Remember, one day you’ll answer to God for every word you say."

The Bible mentions many kinds of tongues. There is a flattering tongue (Psalm 5:9), a proud tongue (Psalm 12:3, 73:9), a lying tongue (Psalm 109:2, Prov. 6:17), a deceitful tongue (Psalm 120:2), a perverted tongue (Prov. 10:31, 17:20), a soothing tongue (Prov 15:4), a healing tongue (Prov. 12:18), a destructive tongue (Prov. 17:4), a mischievous and wicked tongue (Psalm 10:7), a soft tongue (Prov. 25:15), and a backbiting tongue (Prov. 25:23). James also talks about the tongue. He says it’s a small part of the body, and yet it boasts of great things. He calls the tongue a fire, the very world of iniquity. James says it is untamable, a restless evil full of deadly poison, used both to bless God and to curse men. But James also told us that a man who doesn’t stumble in what he says is a perfect man. (James 3:2-10)

Leonard Ravenhill

some words to live by Donnie, don't you think?

Respond to this message   
Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

March 27 2008, 6:21 PM 

By posting here more often, Dave continues to boost the CM statistics. He must indeed want this site to thrive and survive. Thank you!

Surely our readers will note that it is Dave who is angry at those who oppose church drama, because that and other charismatic media only lure Christians into believing that adrenaline highs, emotional and tearful outbursts, and showbiz pizzazz are the sources for our "faith." Transferring his own anger onto the opposition, Dave "sees" them as the angry party.

Respond to this message   
Dave
(no login)

March 28 2008, 12:43 PM 

Hey William:
I am certainly glad that I could help out with the stats here. For you to imply this, it means that this site could use a lot of help....and light....and love.
I come gladly to bring and plant such implements at Concerned Members.

William, you said "Transferring his own anger onto the opposition, Dave "sees" them as the angry party."

It doesn't sound quite like reverse psychology. Would it possibly be reverse reverse psychology or a narcissistic tendency on your behalf?
I just quoted a very applicable revelation that I thought Donnie might employ in his attitude here.
Please elaborate when you have the opportunity.
Thanks!

Dave

Respond to this message   
Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

March 27 2008, 6:48 PM 

Since many modern churches incorporate charismatic, showbiz pizzazz into their worship under the misguided notion that adrenaline highs and tearful, emotional outbursts are accurate indicators of faith, it is not surprising that the continuous din of noise and hype would create burn-out in audiences. Perhaps they sense that all that performing and acting cannot replace the Truth of what is written in the New Testament.

A similar experience has happened at the Baptist church where I was the former organist. For quite a few years, that church put on annual Christmas and Easter dramas like clockwork, complete with scripts, tons of music, actors, props, sets, and costumes. But over the last couple of years, the "drama productions" have been cast to the wind, and choral performances dominate these alleged "special occasions."

Where fads and man's fickle yearnings for entertainment rule churches, there will be swings back and forth, like the pendulum of a clock or the mood swings of a manic-depressive patient, as the crowd becomes bored with one form of entertainment and demands "new and improved" forms.

Respond to this message   
Angela
(no login)

Hmmmm

April 1 2008, 6:09 PM 

Well I tripped into all this. Read a mean spirited but well meant letter dated in 2002. As a member of a Community Church, and a person that has read her Bible, gone to Christian School, had her children baptized and constantly reminds her children about the Trinity. I have to say shame on you all. Airing laundry and complaining. Do you not pray. Are you not taught about relationship. That it is all about relationship with the Father. That he loves you! And yet you are dealing out the "911" on your church. SHAME on you! Get off the COMPUTER!!! Help somebody - anybody! Pray and give thanks for your meals in public - or are you embarassed by your Savior! There are things the spirit leads you to do. If you sing with your hands to the heavens - so be it. It is not about you! It is all about Him! Do not judge others lest you yourself be judged. I don't sing with my hands up in church, I am not comfortable with it, but God bless those that do.

Do not take communion while you have something against your neighbor. Be sure that you are right with everyone.

Most important - GOD made everyone, to not love everyone, well you can connect the dots.

Oh, and if you drew conclusions, just because I didn't say it - I have been married for 16 years now, there is a husband, and he loves God. And we are a testimony to God's love and compassion, he blesses us beyond our wildest dreams! Our children are not afraid, to pray in public and give thanks for their food. I'm not perfect - but I wouldn't judge my church infront of others. That is just shameful. Do you think what you are doing and what you have done, that God will reward you? Do you spend quite time with God? What does he tell you to do?

From a Local Tennessean!

Respond to this message   
Dave
(no login)

Re: Hmmmm

April 4 2008, 8:19 PM 

Thanks Angela......that was AWESOME!!!

God Bless You!!!

Respond to this message   
Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Re: Hmmmm

April 5 2008, 12:04 PM 

Angela implies that if we use the Internet to tell people to uphold the timeless standards of the New Testament Church and not change them to suit a godless society, then we're too preoccupied to help mankind, we're too afraid to pray in public, and we're too afraid to sing with uplifted hands (yet Angela is too uncomfortable to lift hers)! That's absolute nonsense! Where do people get such irrational notions? In other words, Angela implies that we cannot go about practicing Christianity AND use the computer to warn against changing the Church at the same time; that they are mutually exclusive. In some ways, Angela's sentiments remind me of those people who hold to other irrational, mutually exclusive notions; for example, if you advocate obedience to Christ, then you show no love and do not trust the saving grace of Christ, or if you advocate reading and studying the New Testament, then you worship the Bible instead of Christ.

Now since no one seems to post messages on this board very frequently, how does Angela know what we do with the rest of our time? Is she that naive enough to believe that we just sit around on this board until we think of other messages to write? From her attitude, she implies that those who post messages with which she disagrees are slack in their duty to mankind and are too afraid to practice Christianity in public. This is a highly judgmental attitude, coming from a woman who denounces us for allegedly judging others. No doubt, if she agreed 100% with the messages, she would be singing a different tune.

Respond to this message   
Jimmy Wren
(no login)

Reason? Not enough paid players!

April 7 2008, 6:00 PM 

Ater the plays begin the players soon realize just how important their 'acting' is to the church. After all, just look at the hugh crowds that come on Easter and Christmas to watch Buck Haddon and Tom Doozier dress in their bath robes and pretend to be the chosen apostles of Jesus. Just look, there's Peck in the crowd!

The applause of the 'little' folks is just not enough to keep the 'plays' going. Just as the 'praise minister' and the 'involvement minster' and a few of the 'elders' must recieve pay to be involved NOW the actors can demand their 30 pieces of silver.

Donnie, 2008 will be a reminder of what happens to church plays when the church cannot afford to pay!

In Christ,
Jimmy

Respond to this message   
Donnie Cruz
(Login Donnie.Cruz)
ConcernedMembersMadison

Re: Angela: Hmmmm

April 9 2008, 1:04 AM 

Angela,

I’m just wondering if you are a member of a Community Church that was a Community Church from its beginning. The reason I’m asking is that many of the Community Churches have been “converted” churches from various religious groups. Many were originally established denominational churches—Baptist, Methodist, Christian Church, etc.

Rick Warren still claims to be “Southern Baptist” and that his Saddleback Community Church (CA) is still a member of the Southern Baptist Convention. Dr. David Jeremiah, a former Southern Baptist, is the Senior Pastor of the famous Shadow Mountain Community Church in California.

Oak Hills Church [formerly “of Christ”] in TX is one of a handful among thousands of churches of Christ that have gone the “Community Church” way.

I can only assume that you are a member of the Community Church that once was a church of Christ congregation. But that is simply based on how you ended up posting here. But please feel free to correct me if my assumption is wrong.

By the way, thank you for your post. You presented a message of love that is, of course, very important in Christian living. At the same time, you can really say that about members of any religious group. So, the subject of love is hardly a debate issue. It could be an issue if your definition of love does not involve certain principles and commands such as: “If ye love me, keep my commandments.”

Since this is a religious and doctrinal discussion board, we will continue to meet our objective—i.e., to deal with the reality that certain beliefs and practices implemented in church programs are unnecessarily or needlessly controversial and divisive. Such should be avoided. And they can be avoided when un-infiltrated congregations are forewarned and forearmed with available information.

Dave, this response is for you—there were no “angry words” and “bitter thoughts” in the original post. You should have understood the message to be an encouraging one—that the number of controversial issues confronting the church has been REDUCED BY ONE in 2008 at least: the only-once-a-year observance of Easter compounded by an interactive drama performance “worship.”

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Place your text ad here.           See all text ads

This web site is not part of or approved by any Church!

...........................THE BOOK

What Happened at the Madison Church of Christ?

There are thousands of churches being taken over across America.

This book is only about one of those churches. It's about the Madison Church Of Christ. By studying the methods used here along with the resource references you might be able to inoculate your church. At the very least you will recognize the signs early on.

Many of the current members of the Madison Church of Christ still don't know what happened.
Some never will know! This book is for them as well.

Madison Church of Christ was a 60 year old church. At one time it was one of the largest churches in the US, and the largest Church of Christ.

It thrived for many years on the vision of it's elders and those of it's ministers. Those visions undoubtably came from the the inspired word of Jesus Christ.

At sometime in the last 10 years there was a deliberate plan by a majority of the elders to take the Madison Church of Christ into a more worldly realm.

They used secrecy, covert planning, and outside sources to scheme and to change the format and direction of the Madison Church of Christ.

The Elders knew that the membership would never approve such a plan. Using the tools of the "Community Church Movement"(consultants, books, seminars, meetings,planters,seeders) they slowly started initiating change so it was never noticed by the members until it was too late.....

At the heart of the plan was the fact that old members were going to be driven off so new techniques could be used to go out and reach the unchurched through new "Contemporary Holy Entertainment" methods developed by the "Community Church Movement"

Old members had to be kept on board long enough to get their plans ready, or the funds would not be there to pay for the new building. So by the plans very nature, it had to be secret.

The church had no plan in effect to renew or approve elders. There was never any need. The elders had always been "as approved by God". 10 of the last 15 elders would begin to shed some doubt on that.

The Elders did not even need a majority at first, because some of the elders went along unwittingly.

This edition starts shortly after some of the members begin to smell something strange in January 2001. Later editions may go back and fill in some of the timeline.

To even start to understand whats happening here, you must read the background materials in the first of the book.

This is only the first edition, and not the end. New editions will be printed as needed. To keep abreast of current changes, please visit our web site; http://www.concernedmembers.com/madison

Here is the list of players;

5 Godly Elders
10 Not so Godly Elders
120 "Deacons" (allegiance unknown)
2,800 - 4,000 church "members"
2 "teners" (people who have publicly confessed to have broken all ten commandments)
Unknown number of "sinners" (This is what the 10 elders call us.)
Unknown number of "demons" (Flying everywhere, to many to count)

Click Here......The Book is Available Now FREE

Place your banner ad here.           See all banner ads

...ConcernedMembers.com ...About ...Links Library ...Sunday School in Exile ...Help Warn Others

FastCounter by bCentral

CM Visit Counter as of 6/25/2015

Site Visits Since 6/30/2015
page counter