Place your banner ad here.          See all banner ads

|| ConcernedMembers.com || About || Links Library || Help Warn Others ||
|| Madison Church of Christ || Richland Hills Church of Christ || Hillcrest Church of Christ || More Churches || Sunday School in Exile ||

Where is my NewThisWeek Email subscription?Click Here

Place your text ad here.           See all text ads

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Spelling, Grammar, and Punctuation

November 18 2010 at 1:34 PM
Dr. Bill Crump  (no login)
from IP address 72.154.222.67

Donnie asked me to start a special thread devoted to observations about errors in spelling and grammar--and punctuation. I am happy to comply. Since it seems that posters tend to act negatively whenever they are corrected in any way--whether it's about poor English or faulty theology--this thread at least allows us to post observations of people's English errors without mentioning specific names as such to save them from embarrassment. However, we should at least mention the thread or location wherein the error(s) is/are found and the sentence(s) or phrase(s) involved, along with the appropriate correction(s), so that the poster(s) who made the errors can study them.

Corrections to all errors should always be accompanied by a reference, either printed or online.

This is not a "class" in creative writing.

Let's not get carried away with condemning popular, recognized colloquialisms such as "kinda" and "gotta" and similar words. In fact, "kinda" (meaning "kind of") is a recognized adverb, and "gotta" (meaning "got to" or "have got to") is a recognized verb. Reference: dictionary.com.

I ask that off-topic messages--such as those with an aim to be sarcastic, to insult, and to smear others--not be posted here. Thanks.

====================

CM: Original post unedited.

This message has been edited by Donnie.Cruz from IP address 23.127.32.146 on Nov 1, 2014 1:57 PM

AuthorReply
Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Request

November 18 2010, 3:21 PM 

In the "You Guys Are Too Much" thread, a request was made as follows:

"If I were you I would....

[Or] is it

If I was you I would...

still unclear to me. Thanks."

Answer: "If I WERE you..."

Reference:

http://www.agriculture.purdue.edu/agcomm/ontarget/0812/December2008GrammarTrapIwasvs.Iwere.htm

Donnie
(no login)

Possessive Pronouns

November 18 2010, 4:46 PM 

Dr. Crump,

Would you be able to provide valuable information related to specific topics before we commit these mistakes? I'm thinking about one post dealing with one specific topic, and the topic being the subject or title of the post. I believe there are numerous topics to consider, e.g.:

• Possessive Pronouns (yours, theirs, ours, its, etc. are often misspelled)
  • Contraction (it's, they're, you're, who's)
  • etc.

Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Re: Possessive Pronouns

November 18 2010, 6:07 PM 

Contractions are formed by using the apostrophe. Tips for forming contractions may be found at:

http://editfast.com/english/grammar/apostrophes/apostrophe_ommission.htm and at:

http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Apostrophes

For possessive pronouns, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Possessive_pronoun (also covers its, it's, whose, and who's).

Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Lesson--Capitalization

November 18 2010, 5:42 PM 

I've noticed that some titles of messages are not capitalized, as in "typographical errors" in the thread "You Guys Are Too Much." While it has become the "norm" in informal writing to omit capitals (newspapers often capitalize only the first word and proper nouns in headlines), here are some tips about using capitals in titles:

Link: http://www.writersblock.ca/tips/monthtip/tipmar98.htm

Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Re: Spelling, Grammar, and Punctuation

December 13 2010, 1:42 PM 

Thread: Ephesians 4:14

Error: Dave wrote: "He used his ability to play to send that heart felt [sic] message to God."

The word is "heartfelt," not "heart felt." "Heartfelt" is one word, not two.

Reference:http://dictionary.reference.com/

Thread: Ephesians 4:14

Errors: "Heartfelt" is one word, not two (see ref. above). Also, Dave wrote: "I knot [sic] that makes you legalists livid."

The sentence should read, "I know that makes you legalists livid."

It does seem that Dave is the one who is working himself into a tantrum. happy.gif

Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

December 19 2010, 9:15 PM 

Thread: The Change Agents Are Coming!!!!

Error: Dave wrote: "Does God here [sic] the different tenor, bass, soprano, or alto notes?"

The correct wording should be, "Does God hear the different tenor, bass, soprano, or alto notes?"

Apparently Dave needs a lesson in homophones (no, they are not telephones for gays).

Dave should go to http://dictionary.reference.com/ and look up "here" and "hear." He should study the differences between the two words, because they do have different meanings.

Donnie
(Login Donnie.Cruz)
ConcernedMembersMadison

Some folks are careless

December 19 2010, 9:25 PM 

Dr. Bill, I think some folks have taken courses in "speed reading" or "speed typing" or "accounting made simple" or "computers for dummies." I really think Dave knows about "homophones" [good that you explained this one happy.gif ]. If Dave would just take time to review his typed messages....

Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

December 27 2010, 5:46 PM 

Thread: "God Work"

Error: Fred wrote: "This reminds me of the movie 'A Few Good Men'". Titles of things that can stand alone, such as motion pictures, are placed in italics, not quotation marks. Thus, Fred's statement should be, "This reminds me of the movie A Few Good Men."

Reference: http://grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/italics.htm

Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

"Immature" Talk

December 30 2010, 1:24 PM 

Yes, we know that Dave thinks anyone who disagrees with him is "immature"; that Dave thinks anyone with whom he disagrees is "immature"; and that Dave brands as "immature" anyone who rightly calls him "immature." We know all that. Can we now return to the subject of this thread, which is spelling, grammar, and punctuation? How about dumping all the "immature" talk into the Special Den of Vipers?

Dave
(no login)

No Dumping Sign for William C.

December 30 2010, 4:46 PM 

William,
Don't you guys do any dumping there.
You wouldn't have hardly anything left in anything but the den of vipers.

Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Re: No Dumping Sign for William C.

December 30 2010, 6:48 PM 

Thread: Spelling, Grammar, and Punctuation

Error: Dave wrote: "You wouldn't have hardly [sic] anything left in anything but the den of vipers."

This statement is a double negative. "Hardly" itself has a negative connotation. When combined with "wouldn't," you have a double negative. Simply say, "You wouldn't have much of anything left but the den of vipers"; or say, "You would hardly have anything left but the den of vipers." Either way, if you eliminate one of the two negatives, you get a more polished sentence. BTW, the words "in anything" seem to be redundant. I eliminated them in the edited examples. happy.gif

Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Re: No Dumping Sign for William C.

December 31 2010, 9:13 AM 

Dave wrote: "You wouldn't have hardly anything left in anything but the den of vipers."

This statement is a double negative. "Hardly" has a negative connotation; when combined with "wouldn't," you have a double negative. The words "in anything" seem to be redundant. Simply say, "You wouldn't have anything left but the den of vipers" or, "You would have hardly anything left but the den of vipers."

Dave
(no login)

One Good Turn Deserves Another

January 1 2011, 4:39 PM 

William, you were attempting to ladle out some grammar correction and spoke of...."The words "in anything" seem to be redundant."

Actually, it is only the word "anything" that is in question here, as the "the" is inconsequential.

No thank you needed.

Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Re: One Good Turn Deserves Another

January 1 2011, 10:05 PM 

If I eliminate "The" at the beginning of that sentence, I have, "Words 'in anything' seem to be redundant," which is awkward. The proper phraseology is, "The words 'in anything' seem to be redundant." "The" [definite article] is essential to call attention to specific words, which are "in anything." I could also have written that sentence as follows: "Two words that seem to be redundant are 'in anything.'"

BTW, Dave wrote: "Actually, it is only the word 'anything' that is in question here, as the [sic] 'the' is inconsequential." Saying "the 'the'" is redundant. Simply eliminate one "the": "Actually, it is only the word 'anything' that is in question here, as 'the' is inconsequential."

The more Dave tries to fault me for nailing him, the more errors he makes. Dave should heed my valuable instruction and thank me for correcting him once again. happy.gif

Dave
(no login)

Teaching the Teacher

January 4 2011, 9:41 PM 

I stand by my double 'the.' You are wrong William.....again.
I said..."Actually, it is only the word "anything" that is in question here, as the "the" is inconsequential."

The 'the' is in the sentence twice for reason. The reason?
It would have not made any sense without it. The first the is pointing to the "the."
See, William, I did it again, for it would not sounds right without it.
I realize that it might strike a nerve when you are wrong in your perceived specialty.
It would only hurt if you believe that you can't be wrong.

A definite trait of a narcissist. That is why I don't believe you would not have any problem being corrected and admitting you are wrong, because you say that you aren't a narcissist.

Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Dave Remains Obtuse

January 5 2011, 1:18 AM 

Saying "the 'the'" is superfluous. Putting one "the" in quotation marks explicitly identifies it and makes the definite article before it unnecessary. Thus, Dave's phrase is more polished with only one "the" in quotation marks: "...as 'the' is inconsequential." BTW, Dave can review the rules for using single vs. double quotation marks. happy.gif

Of course, I expect Dave to continue to be obtuse, because he would rather pull his teeth than admit that a conservative could ever be right. Dave's rabid bias and prejudice caused him to fight, kick, and scream about "well-worded," simply because I taught him that the word was a legitimate, hyphenated adjective. Eventually, Dave came to his senses and, with great reluctance, realized that I was right all along. I also happen to be right about the matter above, and Dave knows it. It's too bad that when a conservative is right, liberals like Dave holler "narcissist." Such a poor attitude will significantly hinder Dave from learning anything.

Dave
(no login)

No Thanks Needed

January 5 2011, 12:22 PM 

William, I am glad that I can give you something to do during your days here on earth. You are getting much better at a timely response. Just make sure that you don't start slacking off. You hear me?
Does the "hollering" really bother you?
Hee Hee....
Does it sound high pitched, or rather is it a rich full-bodied bass hollering?
Just wondering since I didn't know that you could actually hear me holler via typing on the internet.
Perceived William? Do you PERCEIVE that I am hollering by my typed words?

Gonna have to buy me one of those holiday dictionaries one day too.......one day.....
happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

Donnie
(Login Donnie.Cruz)
ConcernedMembersMadison

Re: He Slandered....She Slandered

December 30 2010, 10:40 PM 

AM,

Actually, there was more "slandering" and more "almost" fistfights at Faithsite [sounds like a tongue-twister]. It was practically non-moderated or moderated in absentia, although there were moderators supposedly. So, freely one argued and the other argued back.

It became a very judgmental site for the liberal and progressive religious thinkers and against the conservative Bible students. The "moderators" had paid no attention to the messages posted from both sides until the liberals reported and complained to the mod squad. What ensued was the GLOBAL BANNING of the conservative posters (funny how certain liberals were mistakenly banned as well)). Messages of the conservatives were deleted. Again ... funny how certain threads and certain posts were INADVERTENTLY DELETED IN THE PROCESS.

I'll never forgot how Dave claimed to be a "conservative." (I believe he still claims to be that here at CM.) He also "honestly and sincerely" believed (and still does) that when the real conservatives discuss the truth, they exhibit an "unChristlike" behavior and are without "love" -- LOL!!!

Yes, there was GLOBAL BANNING of conservative messengers of the truth at Faithsite, which is now defunct.

Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

January 5 2011, 11:32 PM 

Thread: St. Paul--How to Deal...

Errors: Dave wrote: "I believe that the more a church family [sic] together, then the better off it is...Just as Christians can make sommething [sic] wonderful out of Christmas, so too can they for Valentine's Day. The best holidays is [sic] when Christians take it [sic] and use it [sic] for the Glory of God."

Here, Dave has a combination of omitted words, typos, and disagreement between tense of subject, verb, and pronouns. Let's rewrite these sentences correctly with the corrections in boldface:

"I believe that the more a church family worships together, then the better off it is...Just as Christians can make something wonderful out of Christmas, so, too, can they for Valentine's Day. The best holidays are when Christians take them and use them for the Glory of God."

Actually, Dave's last sentence sounds better like this: "Christians should use all holidays for the glory of God."

Dave needs to slow down and proofread his messages carefully before posting them.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 526 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Place your text ad here.           See all text ads

This web site is not part of or approved by any Church!

...........................THE BOOK

What Happened at the Madison Church of Christ?

There are thousands of churches being taken over across America.

This book is only about one of those churches. It's about the Madison Church Of Christ. By studying the methods used here along with the resource references you might be able to inoculate your church. At the very least you will recognize the signs early on.

Many of the current members of the Madison Church of Christ still don't know what happened.
Some never will know! This book is for them as well.

Madison Church of Christ was a 60 year old church. At one time it was one of the largest churches in the US, and the largest Church of Christ.

It thrived for many years on the vision of it's elders and those of it's ministers. Those visions undoubtably came from the the inspired word of Jesus Christ.

At sometime in the last 10 years there was a deliberate plan by a majority of the elders to take the Madison Church of Christ into a more worldly realm.

They used secrecy, covert planning, and outside sources to scheme and to change the format and direction of the Madison Church of Christ.

The Elders knew that the membership would never approve such a plan. Using the tools of the "Community Church Movement"(consultants, books, seminars, meetings,planters,seeders) they slowly started initiating change so it was never noticed by the members until it was too late.....

At the heart of the plan was the fact that old members were going to be driven off so new techniques could be used to go out and reach the unchurched through new "Contemporary Holy Entertainment" methods developed by the "Community Church Movement"

Old members had to be kept on board long enough to get their plans ready, or the funds would not be there to pay for the new building. So by the plans very nature, it had to be secret.

The church had no plan in effect to renew or approve elders. There was never any need. The elders had always been "as approved by God". 10 of the last 15 elders would begin to shed some doubt on that.

The Elders did not even need a majority at first, because some of the elders went along unwittingly.

This edition starts shortly after some of the members begin to smell something strange in January 2001. Later editions may go back and fill in some of the timeline.

To even start to understand whats happening here, you must read the background materials in the first of the book.

This is only the first edition, and not the end. New editions will be printed as needed. To keep abreast of current changes, please visit our web site; http://www.concernedmembers.com/madison

Here is the list of players;

5 Godly Elders
10 Not so Godly Elders
120 "Deacons" (allegiance unknown)
2,800 - 4,000 church "members"
2 "teners" (people who have publicly confessed to have broken all ten commandments)
Unknown number of "sinners" (This is what the 10 elders call us.)
Unknown number of "demons" (Flying everywhere, to many to count)

Click Here......The Book is Available Now FREE

Place your banner ad here.           See all banner ads

...ConcernedMembers.com ...About ...Links Library ...Sunday School in Exile ...Help Warn Others

FastCounter by bCentral

CM Visit Counter as of 6/25/2015

Site Visits Since 6/30/2015
page counter