Place your banner ad here.          See all banner ads

|| ConcernedMembers.com || About || Links Library || Help Warn Others ||
|| Madison Church of Christ || Richland Hills Church of Christ || Hillcrest Church of Christ || More Churches || Sunday School in Exile ||

Where is my NewThisWeek Email subscription?Click Here

Place your text ad here.           See all text ads

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Anniversaries and Birthdays

June 9 2011 at 6:40 PM
Sonny  (no login)
from IP address 99.186.93.107

Brother Crump, since you stated that anniversaries and birthdays should not be acknowledged in the assembly nor even after a dismissal prayer, do you think it is o.k. with God for anniversaries and birthdays to be listed or referenced in bulletins? Or, is this also taking the honor away from God when people's marriages are being honored and recognized?

Likewise, do you think it is o.k. with God for congregations to have bulletins?

-Sonny

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Re: Anniversaries and Birthdays

June 9 2011, 9:23 PM 

I've already stated my point about this matter. Did you feel so strongly about this that you had to create a special thread just to "discuss" birthdays and anniversaries, or were you just trying to be farcical? The winking eye votes for the latter. wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Try Out These Questions

June 9 2011, 10:26 PM 

Here are some questions Sonny should be asking, since he wants to be farcical:

If a person wins the Kentucky Derby, the Indy 500, the lottery, the Miss America pageant, or some other noteworthy contest, is it wrong to honor them during the worship assembly?

If a person has recently received some kind of recognition in the media, is it wrong for members of his congregation to send him text messages of congratulations (his cell phone jingles) while they all sit during the worship assembly?

Is it wrong during the worship assembly to honor students who are graduating with various honors from high school or various colleges and universities?

If a person has a pet that becomes a champion (horse show, dog show, etc.), should that person and his pet be honored during the worship assembly? (That means bringing in the winning animals into the congregation and cleaning up their mess after everyone has spooked them with boisterous, standing ovations).

The winking eye wants to know how far do you want go with this farce, Sonny? wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Sonny
(no login)

Same Family But Different Question

June 10 2011, 12:08 AM 

Brother Crump, the questions are different and valid. They are valid because most churches in North America list birthdays and anniversaries in their bulletins. Since you have claimed that it is wrong to publicly honor or recognize people in a public way in the assembly, I am asking if you believe this includes bulletins. Dodge the question if you wish.

Brother, the problem is that you equate your opinions as God's Word. Whether it be bulletins, anniversaries, clapping, emotion, or other issues, you migrate away from Scripture to what you think without referencing Scripture and speaking with this authority. Your belief on baptism is supported in Scripture. I am sure you have many other beliefs supported in Scripture.

-Sonny

Respond to this message   
Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Farcical

June 10 2011, 8:41 AM 

The matter has become farcical. Why waste time answering farcical questions, which only prompt more and more farcical questions? Let's quickly shatter the fruity loop. And you seem most eager to jump to conclusions about who equates his opinion with God's Word. Reserve your accusation for the infamous person on this board who sees those who oppose him as "cursed," "sinners," and orders them to "Repent! Repent!" That person believes he is the mouth of God.

Respond to this message   
Dave
(no login)

If You Must Sonny.....

June 10 2011, 8:45 AM 

Sonny, why would you even want to engage in conversation with Bill after he concludes his remarks with....."The winking eye wants to know how far do you want go with this farce, Sonny? wink.gif"

Not only just basically immature, but he believes that if the subject is a farce then any further comment or discussion would also be such a farce.

Respond to this message   
Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Talk about a Farce...

June 10 2011, 6:23 PM 

A person makes a farce of himself when he goes about repeatedly hollering at those who oppose him, "You are cursed! You are a sinner! Repent! Repent!" Thou art the man, Dave. wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Sonny
(no login)

Re: Talk about a Farce...

June 11 2011, 6:49 PM 

Brother Crump,

You are beyond conservative, and definitely beyond biblical. You are dogmatic. Below are a few examples of man-made rules. Furthermore, I would surmise that your own congregation alone, not to mention any others, is not able to abide by all of your man made rules, nor should they.

It is wrong to ever acknowledge/honor someone's anniversary in an assembly, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.
It is wrong to ever acknowledge/honor someone's graduation in an assembly, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.
It is wrong to ever acknowledge/honor someone's birthday in an assembly, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.
It is wrong to ever acknowledge/honor someone's lads to leader accomplishments, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.
It is wrong to ever acknowledge/honor someone's service to the military, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.

Just from these 5 teachings alone, most of the 40,000 C of C congregations would be unacceptable to God if these teachings are/were accurate. Even the most conservative of congregations I am aware of (which are many) include these and other information in their bulletins and often share in public announcements from the pulpit.

I wonder if Brother Crump believes God's grace will cover these congregations' alleged sins/disobedience?

-Sonny

Respond to this message   
Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Re: Talk about a Farce...

June 11 2011, 11:59 PM 

Hop--skip--and JUMP...to conclusions, Sonny. If that makes you feel better, stronger, more superior, more alive, even holier, who am I to deny you an opportunity for self-gratification? wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Dogmatic

June 12 2011, 12:19 PM 

Sonny posed five "wrong" situations and declared they were man-made rules. The clear implication is that Sonny takes the opposite view and that he would substitute "RIGHT" instead as follows:

It is RIGHT to ever acknowledge/honor someone's anniversary in an assembly, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.

It is RIGHT to ever acknowledge/honor someone's graduation in an assembly, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.

It is RIGHT to ever acknowledge/honor someone's birthday in an assembly, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.

It is RIGHT to ever acknowledge/honor someone's lads to leader accomplishments, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.

It is RIGHT to ever acknowledge/honor someone's service to the military, including from the pulpit or from the bulletin.

Sonny condemned his five alleged man-made "wrong" situations as "dogmatic and unbiblical." Since Sonny implies that it is right to honor people's accomplishments in the worship assembly, then he is just as dogmatic. Is it wrong to be dogmatic? It is in Sonny's case, for he presumes to speak where the New Testament does not; hence, it is he who is unbiblical. Where does the New Testament permit us to honor our accomplishments in the worship assembly? Where does the New Testament declare that God is pleased when we use the worship assembly to honor our human accomplishments as well as Him? Christianity is based on what the New Testament SAYS, NOT on what it doesn't say. When man takes God's silence as permissive, he subscribes to the fallible premise of "God didn't say not to." We all know that nonsense just doesn't wash. Can our human accomplishments save us? Of course not, yet many people regard those accomplishments worthy of as much praise as that given to God; hence, the unbiblical desire to honor human accomplishments in the worship assembly.

The bottom line: The worship assembly is a time for honoring and praising ONLY GOD, not man. Since we have no New Testament authority to honor man's accomplishments in the worship assembly, then the wise thing to do is to hold worldly and secular honors separately from the assembly. People need to control themselves and put aside their desire for worldly accolades long enough to spend time together in the worship assembly giving God ALL the praise, honor, and glory. Don't cheat God. Ordinarily, that should be quite easy to understand, but I guess with the worldly-minded liberals and progressives, it is impossible.

BTW, since I never said anything about the "bulletin," Sonny conveniently took the opportunity once again to hop--skip--and jump...to conclusions. wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Dave
(no login)

See?

June 12 2011, 10:47 AM 

Sonny,
Do you see what I mean? Some people don't care for meaningful dialogue.....they want to get in their jabs and feel superior in doing so.

Respond to this message   
Donnie
(Login Donnie.Cruz)
ConcernedMembersMadison

Caring for a Meaningful Dialogue

June 12 2011, 7:13 PM 

Dave,

You should speak for yourself.

I'm not into counting words in a post, although occasionally I do. But you could dialog meaningfully if you were to actually delete your "religious" [self-righteous] expletives. But, then, in many of your posts, the number of words would amount to almost zero if those expletives were deleted.

There is still a problem.

Respond to this message   
Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Re: Caring for a Meaningful Dialogue

June 12 2011, 9:10 PM 

It's virtually impossible to have a "meaningful dialogue" with someone whose replies consist of nothing but "You are cursed! You're a sinner! Repent! Repent!" over and over. I'm surprised Dave hasn't realized that by now. Frankly, I suspect he never will.

Respond to this message   
Fred Whaley
(no login)

Obvious

June 14 2011, 8:25 AM 

It is obvious to Fred and the rest that the doctor does not want to have a civil and levelheaded discussion with Sonny and answer his questions and support earlier statements. Work on being levelheaded with future posters Mr. Crump. Fred and the rest will respect you. wink.gif

Fred Whaley

Respond to this message   
Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Re: Obvious

June 15 2011, 1:05 AM 

Did Fred say something? I didn't think so. He must be mumbling again in his coma.

Respond to this message   
Sonny
(no login)

Obvious Peacemaking

June 16 2011, 4:32 PM 

Trying to be a bridgebuilder between Brother Crump and Brother Fred could reveal in time to be a challenging endeavor. happy.gif

-Sonny

Respond to this message   
Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Re: Obvious Peacemaking

June 17 2011, 9:46 AM 

I wouldn't waste much time with Fred. He's in a "coma" most of the time. Dave is a much better candidate for your...how should I say...peacemaking "talents." Even the winking face thinks so. wink.gif

Respond to this message   
Sonny
(no login)

Birthday Celebration

June 26 2011, 11:19 PM 

An elder at our congregation takes the Lord's Supper to an elderly shut-in member each Sunday afternoon. Friday was this lady's 98th birthday. She is the oldest member of our congregation this side of heaven. Today after services and lunch, twelve members of our congregation visited her in her home. She took communion, then we sang a few songs ("When We All Get To Heaven", etc.), followed by singing happy birthday and having her blow out ten lit candles on the cake. After eating cake with her, we had a prayer and left.

Did we "cheat" God (Brother Crump's term)? Did God exit the home during the birthday celebration and then return when we had prayer? The elder organized this event - is he a change agent?

-Sonny

Respond to this message   
Ken Sublett
(Login Ken.Sublett)
ConcernedMembersMadison

It's ok.

June 27 2011, 12:07 AM 

Justin Martyr defining the Sunday assembly (no music mentioned) where the Psalms were sung in the reading sense.

After the meeting the Deacons took the Lord's Supper to the shutins.

The purpose of the assembly is to PREACH the word by READING the word for doctrinal teaching and comfort.
Most forms of music "discomfort" by producing a mind altering drug. I have modified my Jude discussing the Book of Enoch. Lucretius speaks of personal doctrine having to be forced down with music to overpower the rational or spiritual mind.

He compares that to Wormwood or Absinth which is a hallucin in Lager beer.
You just rup the patient's lips with a bit of wormwood to numb him before making him drink the whole thing.

Now, a drug was often used when you really had no cure: give strong drink to the perishing.

So false teaching or dogma asserts that the Word of God is too difficult for the laidity to consume. So, in rhetoric you use MUSIC to enhance. Now, that would be fine in our posted example if you are trying to DEFEAT the notion that the heavens were infinite.

If you ASSERT that the Spirit of Christ is incompetent and needs help from what Christ called hypocrites--rhetoricians, singers and instrument players the it is ACCEPTABLE to use music and musicians because you have gone over that edge Lynn Anderson warns about.

http://www.piney.com/MuJudeEnoch.html

These performing stars are those FOR WHOM God comes in judgment. Sorry, I cannot convince too many of that: maybe I nee me a Worship Team?

Respond to this message   
Dr. Bill Crump
(no login)

Re: Birthday Celebration

June 27 2011, 9:19 AM 

You seem to be obsessed with this birthday-and-anniversary bit. Whether the setting is the home, the middle of the street, a bus terminal, a train station, a supermarket, atop Mt. Everest, flying in a 747, deep in a mine, the Sea of Tranquility on the moon, in a "church building," etc. etc., a group of people meeting to take Communion (whether it's just one person or all), sing hymns, and offer prayer are engaging in worship. Surely you don't think that worship must only be confined within a "church building." Therefore, don't cheat God in worship by bringing in worldly matters such as singing "Happy Birthday" and blowing out candles on a cake. How long will it take before you are able to understand that?

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Place your text ad here.           See all text ads

This web site is not part of or approved by any Church!

...........................THE BOOK

What Happened at the Madison Church of Christ?

There are thousands of churches being taken over across America.

This book is only about one of those churches. It's about the Madison Church Of Christ. By studying the methods used here along with the resource references you might be able to inoculate your church. At the very least you will recognize the signs early on.

Many of the current members of the Madison Church of Christ still don't know what happened.
Some never will know! This book is for them as well.

Madison Church of Christ was a 60 year old church. At one time it was one of the largest churches in the US, and the largest Church of Christ.

It thrived for many years on the vision of it's elders and those of it's ministers. Those visions undoubtably came from the the inspired word of Jesus Christ.

At sometime in the last 10 years there was a deliberate plan by a majority of the elders to take the Madison Church of Christ into a more worldly realm.

They used secrecy, covert planning, and outside sources to scheme and to change the format and direction of the Madison Church of Christ.

The Elders knew that the membership would never approve such a plan. Using the tools of the "Community Church Movement"(consultants, books, seminars, meetings,planters,seeders) they slowly started initiating change so it was never noticed by the members until it was too late.....

At the heart of the plan was the fact that old members were going to be driven off so new techniques could be used to go out and reach the unchurched through new "Contemporary Holy Entertainment" methods developed by the "Community Church Movement"

Old members had to be kept on board long enough to get their plans ready, or the funds would not be there to pay for the new building. So by the plans very nature, it had to be secret.

The church had no plan in effect to renew or approve elders. There was never any need. The elders had always been "as approved by God". 10 of the last 15 elders would begin to shed some doubt on that.

The Elders did not even need a majority at first, because some of the elders went along unwittingly.

This edition starts shortly after some of the members begin to smell something strange in January 2001. Later editions may go back and fill in some of the timeline.

To even start to understand whats happening here, you must read the background materials in the first of the book.

This is only the first edition, and not the end. New editions will be printed as needed. To keep abreast of current changes, please visit our web site; http://www.concernedmembers.com/madison

Here is the list of players;

5 Godly Elders
10 Not so Godly Elders
120 "Deacons" (allegiance unknown)
2,800 - 4,000 church "members"
2 "teners" (people who have publicly confessed to have broken all ten commandments)
Unknown number of "sinners" (This is what the 10 elders call us.)
Unknown number of "demons" (Flying everywhere, to many to count)

Click Here......The Book is Available Now FREE

Place your banner ad here.           See all banner ads

...ConcernedMembers.com ...About ...Links Library ...Sunday School in Exile ...Help Warn Others

FastCounter by bCentral

CM Visit Counter as of 6/25/2015

Site Visits Since 6/30/2015
page counter