Place your banner ad here.          See all banner ads

|| ConcernedMembers.com || About || Links Library || Help Warn Others ||
|| Madison Church of Christ || Richland Hills Church of Christ || Hillcrest Church of Christ || More Churches || Sunday School in Exile ||

Where is my NewThisWeek Email subscription?Click Here

Place your text ad here.           See all text ads

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

ACU Lectures 2012

July 4 2012 at 2:23 AM
Captainc  (Login Captain62)
from IP address 97.112.168.221

Jeremiah 15 has Christ defining the future church: He will baptize with Wind and Fire and burn up those who refused to be Word-Only Centered. Jeremiah 15: Thy Words were found and I ate them.

http://www.piney.com/Jeremiah.15.Thy.Words.Were.Found.I.Ate.Them.html

Report:

ACU Lectures 2012

For those not having an early heads up of topics for this year's(Sept.) lecture series in Abilene, here are some of the more interesting ones:

The Devotional Power of Poetry...How Poets can draw us near to God (female speaker)

Committed to the Cause...My life in Christian Churches/C of C's...V. Knowles (naturally)

Big-Hearted Conversation across the Denominational Divide...Spirit and the Church today
(R. Harris)

The Times They are-a-changin...Reflections and projections about Women in Ministry

Putting away traditional teaching on divorce...Untangling the web of marital messes
(I was unaware there was a "traditional view".)

Church Leadership structures that work...Best Practices for Elders (Siburt/Washburn)

Sex is more than skin on skin...The personal transformation to become a great lover

To add to the above, the University Honors College will be hosting a dinner to recognize
several including an ordained (female) minister from the United Methodist Church.

Those who have expressed words of concern for the teachings taking place at schools like ACU
are quite accurate in their assessments. It would seem reasonable to thinks that back in the
60's & 70's, those attempting to promote these teachings would have been driven out quickly!!

(In ordering a tape from one of the previous lectureships, it's a plus to continue to be on the mailing list at ACU...will likely order several this year to get a better indication of what is being promoted)

This message has been edited by Donnie.Cruz from IP address 99.177.249.211 on Jul 13, 2012 3:44 AM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Donnie Cruz
(Login Donnie.Cruz)
ConcernedMembersMadison

Re: ACU Lectures 2012

July 4 2012, 3:22 PM 

Thanks for the report. We'll use this thread for further news about the university. Please keep us posted.

ACU may not even care anymore as an institution to still be affiliated with the church of Christ. The question is not that it is associated with the denominational churches. Rather, the question is -- which denomination it wants to be affiliated with. One that comes to mind is the Christian Church denomination.

Ken Sublett will be able to provide much of the information regarding ACU as a university and its mis-leaders.

Respond to this message   
Ken
(Login Ken.Sublett)
ConcernedMembersMadison

ACU SUMIT 2012 WALTER BRUEGGEMAN

July 4 2012, 6:39 PM 

http://www.piney.com/Walter.Brueggemann.Summit.ACU.2012.html

Walter Brueggermann is professor emeritus of Old Testament at Columbia Theological Seminary in Decatur, Georgia. This article appeared in The Christian Century, January 3-10, 2001, pp. 14-20

The process of interpretation which precludes final settlement on almost all questions is evident in the Bible itself. A stunning case in point is the Mosaic teaching in Deuteronomy 23:1-8 that bans from the community all those with distorted sexuality and all those who are foreigners. In Isaiah 56:3-8 this Mosaic teaching is overturned in the Bible itself, offering what Herbert Donner terms an intentional "abrogation" of Mosaic law through new teaching.
.....The old, no doubt circumstance-driven exclusion
.....is answered by a circumstance-driven inclusiveness.

Walter will be there for the Sumit trying to show that situations change in respect to the gender-confused. He does not know that the enuchs in the SECOND LAW added because of musical idolatry were the emasculated priests of the mother goddesses: praise singers.

However, Christ in the prophets admits eunuchs who are lawful and not connected to the ancient and modern perverted worship.

I will look at the LECTURESHIP which has the usual but Biblically immune PRO instrumentalists from the Christian Church (NACC) and the PRO instrumentalists from the late and mourned once Christian university.

Respond to this message   
john watson smith
(Login johnwatsonsmith)

Walter Brueggeman and other indicators

July 4 2012, 10:39 PM 

Reading the list of featured topics and speakers indicates the depth that ACU has sunk to. What I wonder is who is contributing to this school and what church leaders in Texas and close states think they are doing sending the young to this school. The money factor has got to be driving a major portion of this- Faithful christians should not be making contributions to this school.

Mr Brueggeman has recently been a guest at LU also instructing preachers on how to "preach"

Comments Welcome

Respond to this message   
William Hall
(no login)

Facination with Walter Brueggeman and similar

July 5 2012, 2:32 PM 

Havent there been rumors that both DLU and ACU have had discussions on how to withdraw from the fellowships of the Churches of Christ, and particularly what makes a congregation acceptable as a Church of Christ? With regard to the lecture topics, there is a tendency to knee jerk because of the overall lack of commitment to some, perhaps most, of the principles of our fellowship at ACU. But we have locked ourselves into too much attention to the assembly, I fear, and often do not give enough attention to other times. Consequently, I conclude that most of the topics listed could be quite appropriate for the venue in which they are presented, with the caveats of good sense and appropriate conclusions. There was a time when we called meetings revivals. We occasionally need to have revival because we tend to think there something new going on out there. There is not, but we need to have our thinking refreshed from time to time.

Incidentally, I have not been able to find the ACU link that matches up these topics, although I find, for instance, that Victor Knowles has a date for appearance at the Summit on his web sites.

The Devotional Power of Poetry...How Poets can draw us near to God (female speaker)

Why not? If a psalm as used in the NT was basically a kind of lyrical poem, and 1 Cor. and our earliest recorded Christian history clearly show that psalms and songs were not limited to the Book of Psalms, why not look at how poets draw us nearer to God. Is the problem that it is a female speaker, or is the speaker from outside our fellowship? We sing poems written by females all the time, exampled by Fanny Cosby.

The Times They are-a-changin...Reflections and projections about Women in Ministry

The problem here is times should not be changin. Women always provided ministry as clearly indicated in the NT. There were prophetesses galore. Paul limited their participation in the assembly, but that was about all. I wonder what new slant will be given to this.

Divorce is a problem that Paul had to deal with and so do we. Nothing new here, but scholars are always trying to find a problem to solve, or solve a problem that does not exist. We do not have a synod, and each congregation must deal with divorced congregants in its own way according to the wisdom of its eldership. Like you, I wonder how the traditional view will be defined.

In order to have respect among their peer institutions the leadership of these schools must be seen as reaching out, and they must hire from those leading peer institutions. Consequently, they are going to bring in to their lectureships well known names from wherever they can get them. This is not for approval of the brotherhood, but for approval from outside the brotherhood. Personally, I suspect they could do better than the names on this list. Church related schools, and not just schools affiliated with the Churches of Christ, all have the same three problems: money, attracting students (money, again), and reputation. At DLU the tipping point may have occurred back in the 60s under Athens Clay Pulias, and I suspect that in time DLU will go through the same travails as Belmont, and I dont think their future merger is even out of the question. I suspect that down the road ACU will become just a regional Christian center of higher education, OCU and Harding will probably mimic Pepperdine without the beach, and Rochester will be generally irrelevant. I dont know what to make of Faulkner and FHU yet.

Respond to this message   
Ken Sublett
(Login Ken.Sublett)
ConcernedMembersMadison

Re: Facination with Walter Brueggeman and similar

July 5 2012, 5:07 PM 

Jesus said something about storing up your money where all kinds of things break through and steal.

Assuredly if you build a para-church institution Satan will come and steal it. That is why he is smarter than liberal artists.

The pity of it all is that they build on the foundation of totally ignorant but rich and famous theologians who can't keep it straight from one chapter to the next.

It is true that people who have no love or aptitude for the Bible see inviting all of the screw balls in to advance their career path or find the next job.

I believe that the social media is just in time to replace the sunday thingy which has little connection to being what the Campbells called A school of Christ where worship is reading musing the word.

The musical churches have or will lose their punch because of so much "religious" music free of charge.

But, the church is not supposed to be very audible or visible and assuredly not wildly popular or large.

Respond to this message   
Tom Brite
(no login)

July 6 2012, 3:33 PM 

Donnie, first of all, there is still a major problem with this site as far as loading information and taking an extremely long time. Just thought you might want to get it checked out.

As some of you know, my youngest son attends ACU as a business major. The College of Business Administration at ACU is ranked among the top 20 business schools in the nation. It is a place of quality education based upon Christian principles. I have told him that the main reason for attending a university is to teach him how to think, that he will hear things that are new and different, but that he should use his brain, examine ideas and see if they fit within his own biblical principles. He is free to accept or reject each of the things that he is taught or will hear while in school.

In my opinion, an education without exploring new ideas or ways of doing things is not worth much. I would hope that those who might read this site would not think that everyone associated with Churches of Christ hold to one particular idea on any number of topics because such would be completely wrong.

I have visited extensively over the past couple of years with many of the "higher ups" at ACU. There has never been a hint that the school is looking to disassociate itself from Churches of Christ. Quite the opposite seems to be true. They value their heritage and look to build upon those traditions of exploring new ideas and thought processes to see if we can more fully reach the goal of being the first century church in a contemporary world. They fully understand that some aspects of the Summit are controversial, but they are topics that need to be explored because great interest among attendees has been expressed on these topics. They don't just make them up and see who will come.

As a University, each college or department within ACU is seeking to build a higher quality of education. The College of Business Administration is a clear example. Recently, a study showed that COBA graduate students receive employment around the US and the world at a higher and faster rate than any university in the US, including all Ivy League Schools. In addition, pre-med students at ACU are accepted into medical school at a rate of 85%, more than twice the national average. The pre-veterinarian program has a 100% acceptance rate at Texas A&M University Vet School, the only Vet school in Texas. No other Texas university (including Texas A&M) can make that claim. I could go on about other departments, but you get the picture. It is a quality school offering a quality education.

Respond to this message   
ken Sublett
(Login Ken.Sublett)
ConcernedMembersMadison

July 6 2012, 4:31 PM 

I have read too many comments and books by the Bible Department product and they make it clear that they are "exercising a prophetic role to teach advanced degrees to go out and facilitate (manipulate) change." Atchley boasted that they had been working on the youth with the "blast of rock and roll" in the youth group and retreats to "teach our children to leave our movement." Rick AND ACU supported David Faust to instruct everyone with all of the massed mentions of an instrument.

Because most institutions are guilty of literary incest I don't believe, based on too many statements, that they understand the meaning of qahal, synagogue or Church which began in the wilderness. They are in the business of manufacturing people for old roles and inventing new roles. Most of the crippling of some congregations has been by the very persons they TRAINED. I had to endure one of their products who assumed that "prophetic role" to radically change the church into a "theater for holy entertainment." The left a nasty smell in the county that will not go away.

You can't do that in business or engineering or law because all are radically changing as we speek. When I graduated from College it took two vacuum tubes consuming about 4 watts to calculate ONE BYTE (1 or 0). The role of PREACHING the Word by READING the Word is the only role of a Church of Christ. It trains individuals to be ministers themselves. A Disciple of Law does not learn by watching a MUSICAL WORSHIP TEAM making themselves look stupid and girlish. If you would not use a female theologian to argue your case by hoping for a new BAPTISM OF FIRE (stupid person), why would a christian college bring such a person to be a KEY NOTER?

If you believe that they understand anything about the Church as defined from the wilderness onward and continued without any "authority" for instruments until the Disciples with whom they preach unity, then they cannot whine about the radicals in the church. They have to but will not GIVE A RATIONALE for their purpose driving Training Female Pastors, training Musical Worship Ministers and training preachers to become PASTORS who fire the vocational deacons and forcefully demote the Elders to being just "shepherds"but not THE leaders. The new president lamented the low number of teachers from the Church of Christ.

I say they do not understand the views of those who "birthed them" or they would not declare CORBAN on their godly ancestors whom they dismiss as "traditionalists" meaning they carried a vile disease.

If they would betray those who supported them all of these years they will tell you that they intend to be faithful to our "heritage" (another lie) but just CHANGE it to be contemporary.

Respond to this message   
B
(no login)

Christian Education

July 6 2012, 5:27 PM 

There are plenty of "quality" schools offering "quality education" in the USA. Just because an institution offers "Christian education" does not guarantee that it is committed to teaching the timeless principles of the New Testament as written therein.

An education without exploring new ideas or ways of doing things is not worth much, as far as the secular world is concerned. If an institution is committed to "Christian education," however, it will teach its students to obey the timeless principles as written in the New Testament, for those principles never change, regardless of the culture involved.

Jesus never said, "If ye love me, adjust and alter my commandments according to the culture of the times."

Jesus said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments" (John 14:15 KJV). Those commandments are for all time.

Respond to this message   
William
(no login)

To Bro. Brite

July 8 2012, 1:10 PM 

Bro. Brite: Congratulations on your sons choice of the ACU Business School. And the advice that you gave was surely sound. But we are not exactly debating here the new and different things that each and every college student hears and sees, especially freshmen. He may not be challenged by the teaching of evolution or worried about the God particle, and although I dont know what there is to do in Abilene I suspect that there is beer, booze and sex aplenty. Maybe, like many, he will sit up all night in the dorm eating pizza and arguing how to save the world, and maybe even vote for the Democrats. You are correct that not everyone associated with Churches of Christ hold to one particular idea on any number of topics. I do not have the same exact hang-ups, so to speak, as the moderators of this site and there are some areas where I question their conclusions, but at the same time I am in unity with them and I expect unity within the brotherhood that seemingly ACU is no longer teaching.

Of the big five schools, only OCU has a Department of Biblical Studies, the others all switching to theology. Frankly, the young preachers coming from these schools are often deficient in their Bible knowledge and understanding (of course not all), but the concept of the Bible school training preachers which was so successful for so many years seems to be gone. The "modern" ideas have not necessarily been all that successful.

Respond to this message   
B
(no login)

Slow Computer?

July 11 2012, 10:32 AM 

Earlier, a poster remarked that "there is still a major problem with this site as far as loading information and taking an extremely long time."

The expression "an extremely long time" is relative. Ten or 20 seconds for this site to load may, to some, seem like "an extremely long time"; people growl at the site owners and/or drag their machines in for an overhaul. After all, in this technological age where no one wants to wait for anything anymore, a few seconds seem like a lifetime to some folks. To others, however, a few seconds' loading time may be completely NORMAL. So, it's all relative. Personally on my computer, the Madison site loads in just a few seconds.

Removing viruses and other malware from one's computer always makes it respond faster. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Racnor
(no login)

Re: Slow Computer?

July 12 2012, 3:21 PM 

I think a new web site is in the works. The "concernedmembers.com" link is dead and nothing is happening to fix it. This site is full of script errors and IE will hardly load it any more. Donnie has not been on very much and he may just be working on the new web site. JMHO. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Racnor
(no login)

July 14 2012, 11:30 AM 

Thanks Donnie for the repair (face-lift) of this site! CM now loads very fast using IE. Some of the "older" regular posters may not discern the difference in the site performance but it was a great improvement! happy.gif Well done!

Respond to this message   
B
(no login)

July 14 2012, 2:53 PM 

Racnor is really telling us that he finally upgraded his antivirus system and cleaned his computer of all malware. No wonder the CM site now looks "new" to him. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Tom Brite
(no login)

July 15 2012, 8:35 PM 

Yes, thanks Donnie for the repairs. Despite Dr. Crum's protestations, the problem did lie with the site and has been fixed.

Respond to this message   
B
(no login)

July 15 2012, 10:59 PM 

There's no one here posting as "Dr. Crum" [sic, Tom's "spelling"]. We went through that quite a while ago with Dave and his "identity crisis" bit, but I guess Tom didn't catch that. And Tom must have also cleaned all the viruses and malware from his computer, too. Glad that everyone is now happy. happy.gif

Respond to this message   
Donnie Cruz
(Login Donnie.Cruz)
ConcernedMembersMadison

July 16 2012, 12:11 AM 

Racnor and Tom,

ConcernedMembers.com was inaccessible for a while [not sure how long] until I noticed that the RHCC forum was not displaying the
[linked image]
image by this title: Former Richland Hills Members and Friends Post 25 Theses to the Doors of the Church. Besides, I experienced it myself that it was taking a long time for the main site only to issue an error message.

All that explains for the most part why accessing the forums including Madison was slower to some of us than to others. There are graphics and links in these forums that need to be accessed from the main CM on another server.

CM.com has now been resolved. So, it would probably help to bookmark individual forums, not just CM.com. Many users have bookmarked CM.com and depend on accessing, e.g., the Madison forum from CM.com. I have made some minor changes [for now] to include all the other links from the Madison site.

Hopefully, we're all happy now.

happy.gifhappy.gifhappy.gif

Respond to this message   
Captainc
(Login Captain62)

Some additional thoughts...

July 7 2012, 3:25 AM 

...For starters, if anyone is confused about the source for quoting lecture topics, I'm reading directly from the printed program for this year's scheduled series. Which brings to mind another 2-part presentation titled "From Agnos(AR)to Harvard". It appears to be from someone who grew up listening to her grandfather preach, and thus she was inspired to seek a life in ministry. After completing her degree at the Harvard Divinity School, she became ordained in the (Disciples)Church. The second lesson includes the subtitle "It's a girl...In the pulpit! Twenty years of Bridge Building." Another thought about this upcoming series is that so few of the more than 120 names of speakers invited are familiar to me. Also, it's noteworthy that more than 40% of these names are listed as being from Abilene...add to that names including I. Fair, S. Love, and E. Sharp were all in Abilene in past years.

Before continuing, I must say that my parents, two brothers, and several grandparents were all a part of the ACC(U) experience. My grandfather retired from the Agriculture Dept. in the 70's although his years to live afterward were short. My grandmother, however, lived well into the 90's and thus became more familiar with the unhealthy changes that were coming.

With thanks to those who've provided background on Elaine Heath and prof. Brueggemann...is always interesting to hear where they're from and what they advocate.

In noting the previous writer's comments regarding the importance of a university to demonstrate they are reaching out to the "brotherhood" as well as looking to strengthen ties with "peer institutions" am reminded what kind of peer relations really exist between schools like ACU and FHU (as an example). Have been wondering how long it's been (if at all) since someone was featured as a speaker at both FHU and ACU...it appears there have been no common names for decades. Is another reminder of the disunity (and distrust)between schools founded by well-meaning members of His church.

Am running out of space...will have to continue later.

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(no login)

January 20 2013, 7:12 PM 

Donnie said about B...."A seemingly childish thought process from a very educated individual."

Thank you Donnie Cruz....

Roof....Roof!!!

Respond to this message   
ken Sublett
(Login Ken.Sublett)
ConcernedMembersMadison

July 6 2012, 5:18 PM 

The Methodist are pretty much in bed with the Catholics from whom they are derived. The Christian Church, too, has its roots in the Methodists-Anglicans-Catholics. It has been observed that the Methodists are not really a Protestant body. The Methodist Women have also fallen into the mysticism which prompted God's warning. She promotes monastic communities which she says can be more effective than the Churches who force people to accept their Views. Well, doesn't everyone including the Methodists and Catholics. In these cells you would defacto accept that if you concentrate on just ONE WORD long enough the a spirit willl tell you what it means: that is not possible from reading the Word.

I have no reason to doubt that most of the denominational faculty at ACU are "post modern" meaning that they now have, says Shelly, received New Spectacles to get a NEW VISION for the church. If you have contacts I would suggest that they enter into dialog with members rather than the rich and famous merchandisers. LU guided by your friends are promoting the same feminist or matriarchal practices.

Because there are itchy people out there already badly discorded by ACU, why is there any reason to doubt that those who selected Elaine Heath (I think a fine person but a theologian and by definition not a Bible scholar) think that the "brotherhood" should not continue to doubt their sincerity or Bible background. Seems like there is going to be a lot of "sex" discussed at the next high council. From Elaine's data one might guess that there is going to be a lot of guilt-lading on sexual abuse for males rejecting women in "Pastoral" roles. That is equated to "racism."

The so-Called Stone-Campbell Movement endorsed by ACU has worked really hard to restore the Cane Ridge experience (defined by Elaine and history) which flowed into the Disciples but was what was always,including in the Bible, known as witchcraft or sorcery.

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Donnie.Cruz from IP address 99.177.249.211 on Jul 13, 2012 3:51 AM

Respond to this message   

< Previous Page 1 2 3 4 58 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Place your text ad here.           See all text ads

This web site is not part of or approved by any Church!

...........................THE BOOK

What Happened at the Madison Church of Christ?

There are thousands of churches being taken over across America.

This book is only about one of those churches. It's about the Madison Church Of Christ. By studying the methods used here along with the resource references you might be able to inoculate your church. At the very least you will recognize the signs early on.

Many of the current members of the Madison Church of Christ still don't know what happened.
Some never will know! This book is for them as well.

Madison Church of Christ was a 60 year old church. At one time it was one of the largest churches in the US, and the largest Church of Christ.

It thrived for many years on the vision of it's elders and those of it's ministers. Those visions undoubtably came from the the inspired word of Jesus Christ.

At sometime in the last 10 years there was a deliberate plan by a majority of the elders to take the Madison Church of Christ into a more worldly realm.

They used secrecy, covert planning, and outside sources to scheme and to change the format and direction of the Madison Church of Christ.

The Elders knew that the membership would never approve such a plan. Using the tools of the "Community Church Movement"(consultants, books, seminars, meetings,planters,seeders) they slowly started initiating change so it was never noticed by the members until it was too late.....

At the heart of the plan was the fact that old members were going to be driven off so new techniques could be used to go out and reach the unchurched through new "Contemporary Holy Entertainment" methods developed by the "Community Church Movement"

Old members had to be kept on board long enough to get their plans ready, or the funds would not be there to pay for the new building. So by the plans very nature, it had to be secret.

The church had no plan in effect to renew or approve elders. There was never any need. The elders had always been "as approved by God". 10 of the last 15 elders would begin to shed some doubt on that.

The Elders did not even need a majority at first, because some of the elders went along unwittingly.

This edition starts shortly after some of the members begin to smell something strange in January 2001. Later editions may go back and fill in some of the timeline.

To even start to understand whats happening here, you must read the background materials in the first of the book.

This is only the first edition, and not the end. New editions will be printed as needed. To keep abreast of current changes, please visit our web site; http://www.concernedmembers.com/madison

Here is the list of players;

5 Godly Elders
10 Not so Godly Elders
120 "Deacons" (allegiance unknown)
2,800 - 4,000 church "members"
2 "teners" (people who have publicly confessed to have broken all ten commandments)
Unknown number of "sinners" (This is what the 10 elders call us.)
Unknown number of "demons" (Flying everywhere, to many to count)

Click Here......The Book is Available Now FREE

Place your banner ad here.           See all banner ads

...ConcernedMembers.com ...About ...Links Library ...Sunday School in Exile ...Help Warn Others

FastCounter by bCentral

CM Visit Counter as of 6/25/2015

Site Visits Since 6/30/2015
page counter