Return to Index  

Yesterday

November 4 2011 at 5:26 PM
No score for this post
Mod Lang  (Login modlang)
from IP address 130.184.211.162

Response to Give "Ram" its deserved 4.5 stars

The melody to Paul's biggest came to him in his sleep one morning. He had the entire melody worked out in his head, but had no lyrics, so he went around improvising lines like, "Scrambled eggs, scrambled eggs, mmmm-hmmmm, nice legs."

Now imagine the musical and emotional impact "Yesterday" would have had if Paul had just kept the original lyrics.

That's basically how I feel about the entire Ram album. A lot of his early '70s material is only explicable if we consider that at the time, Paul was a MAJOR pothead, and the goofy songs about three-legged dogs and whatnot are the kinds of silly things you find hilariously funny when you're stoned. It also explains the massive laziness Paul took in regards to lyrics around the time. Not that I'm demanding Noel Coward, but at least SOME degree of effort is not an unreasonable demand. This is P-O-P music after all, which means that listeners want songs that they can not merely just hum, but sing along to the lyrics and possibly relate to some of those concerns (no matter than 90% of pop lyrics are silly love songs; silly love songs are still humanly relatable).

Point is, lyrics matter. Think about some of your favorite songs. Then think about how much less you might like many of those songs were changed to lyrics about smelly feet. Gads, now "Honky Tonk Women," is totally ruined for me!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement