Return to Index  

Re: Yesterday

November 4 2011 at 5:52 PM
No score for this post
Trung  (Login phantomdasilva)
from IP address 110.175.228.247

Response to Yesterday

Yesterday is a tender ballad.

You expect tender lyrics to match the music.

Most of Ram has a fun, playful music. IMO, the goofy lyrics suits the music he is playing. The music of Ram is actually far more playful mood than anything he done in the beatles.

The time when the music isn't playful such as the intro of Uncle Albert, Too Many People, Dear boy and Back Seat Of The Car. I don't see the lyrics to be remarkably goofy in those songs.I also don't see any signficant difference between the goofy lightweight songs here and some of McCartney effort in The White Album. The white album, lightweights song are often praised as charming and endearing whilst the songs on Ram sometimes is criticised for the same reason.

The lyrics seems perfectly adequate to what he was trying to do with the music. It's not like he was singing those lyrics in a serious way with dramatic orchestration over the top.
Personally, I generally don't put lightweight pop songs on a pedestal no matter how executed it is but that's more of my own stylistic preference rather than anything wrong with it. I see Ram as lightweight pop songs at its best, it's just that I'm not a huge particular fan of that genre (a 12/13 from me).

I'll have to state though is that my philosophy towards lyrics in music is general is that great lyrics make me like the album more but mediocre lyrics I don't take offense by and I don't punish the album for it (bad lyrics maybe).

I have yet to heard an album with boring music being made listenable by great music and vice versa. Even the scenario where McCartney is singing goofy lyrics seriously with dramatic orchestration does sound hilarious to me and could potentially be something I enjoy if done well.

This message has been edited by phantomdasilva from IP address 110.175.228.247 on Nov 4, 2011 6:17 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement