CDR Report Page 3

by

Bannack got its start as a mining town in 1862, it became the first Territorial Capital two years later. The most infamous character was the town Sherriff, Henry Plummer. He started his career in California as a cop. He killed the husband of a women he was having an affair with & was sentenced to 10 years in prison. While in prison, he became friends with Cyrus Skinner, who he met up with again in Bannack. Plummer became Sherriff, was initially respected as such. However, he & Skinner organized a gang of road agents who would ambush & kill prospectors. They supposedly killed 125 within a few months. Eventually vigilantes took over & hung Plummer, from the very gallows he had constructed.
The buildings are in surprisingly good shape.

[linked image]

There were residents that lived here into the mid 1980s

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Over the hill behind this building is where the gallows were
[linked image]

Imagine the stories that were told while sitting here

[linked image]
[linked image]

Our campsite was next to a stream, in the State Park. It was relaxing to sit back & reminisce over the places weve ridden through & sites we had seen. Life is good!

[linked image]

Earlier I had talked to 4 Mountain bikers. Two couples, from New York the other from Arizona. They were riding the CDR also. They had left Roosville, MT 17 days ago. I stopped by to talk to them again, they were already in bed.

[linked image]

The next morning we were heading to Dillon, MT. We were going to deviate from the CDR & ride the Gravely Range district, a portion we had read about on ADV. We were also loosing one of our riders, RichL, thats him with his back to the camera! Rich had ridden the southern portion of our route last fall, up to the Dubois area. Now he had the Northern portion under his belt & was heading home. It was fun having him along & sharing the Adventure with him.
[linked image]

After breakfast with RichL in Dillon we were off to the Gravely Range. We were met by a Forest Ranger who was working on clearing a trail blocked by fallen trees. He was very informative & gave us good advise on which roads to follow for the best views. He welcomed us to His Office.

Although very windy, the sites were not disappointing
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

If my memory is correct, the entire CDR will have you cross back & forth across the Divide 26 times.
[linked image]

We got a little bit of rain in the afternoon, Jim put a stop to it by putting on his rain liners!
[linked image]

We were on the West side of Yellowstone National Park. Our route took us east between Yellowstone & The Grand Tetons National park. The showers that went through earlier, had turned the trail into a snotty mess. Eventually we came out to Flagg Ranch Resort, where we got shower sites & they threw in a spot to pitch our tents.
Rich & I did laundry. A little bike maintenance was performed, chain adjusting etc. Jim ate Chef Boy R Dee Lasagna (cold outa the can) I made a rice, salsa & salami concoction for Rich & I that was actually pretty good. The next morning a lady wed met in the laundry, the night before, brought over two large cups of coffee & three cups. Jim doesnt enjoy the benefits of morning java so Rich & I consumed it all.Jim did say she had to be the waitress of the day!

One of my favorite places The Grand Tetons..
[linked image]

Someone actually pulled up & asked Whats everybody looking at! I told them there were 7 Bears up ahead.

[linked image]

Seeing Cowboys moving cattle from horseback instead of ATVs is the way its suppose to be.
[linked image]

Mountain wildflowers, distant snowcapped mountains is the perfect place for lunch.
[linked image]

STRich had got word that a co-worker was in the Hospital & he thought it best that he head for home. So in Pinedale, WY we said our goodbyes, then Jim & I headed for Rawlins.
The section between Pinedale & Rawlins is the longest stretch of the CDR for fuel, about 215 miles.

After about 28 miles of asphalt the road turns to gravel. Its smooth & fast. Im sure who ever coined the phrase Big Wonderful Wyoming has been on this road. It was fabulous.
[linked image]
[linked image]

In Sun Pass City there is a Kiosk with information about the CDR
[linked image]

If they had been open we would have treated ourselves to some Ice Cream
[linked image]

The Carissa Mine has been open & closed several times over the years as gold prices have fluctuated.
[linked image]

This was the longest mileage day we put in, about 375 miles. We were happy to arrive in Rawlins safely. The KLRs headlights are not for seeking out critters.
[linked image]

We left Rawlins the next morning, there were several miles of asphalt, finally this was a welcome site. Yay Gravel!
[linked image]
[linked image]

This sign points toward the Bicycle CDR route,
[linked image]

When we arrived to the entrance of the Medicine Bow National Forest, there was a road closed sign. The Forest service has the road closed Monday Friday.until further notice! It was disappointing because this is the area of the famous Aspen Alley & I didnt want to miss it.

Posted on Aug 4, 2011, 7:24 AM
from IP address 66.231.6.194

Respond to this message

Return to Index
Responses