Respond to this message
Original Message
  • Coon Festival

• Posted May 4, 2012 1:18 PM

Well, now, here is the deal, in the little town of Twin Brooks, about 11 miles from me, there is a bar..

the Bar has the annual Coon Pecker contest, and no, I did not give any of the masked bandits the opportunity to gain fame from their pecker.Incidently a coon has a bone is his pecker,this from wikipedia; lest you think I am full of BS! [linked image]

I actually have never been to the contest, not much of a crowd person, and drunken crowd, even less, but I have heard the stories!

I think the contest is now living on legend,as small town bars are struggling to keep their head above water, this one included.

Ol'Gunslinger's bar is a legend, that still is in operation, sort of like Ol'Saloon #10 in Deadwood, or Bob's in Martinsburg.

The bar went downhill after a couple of ownership changes, the original,Ron "Gunslinger" Giessinger started the bar when he was denied a liquor license in Milbank, due to unsavory activities in his bar.

So in the 60's Gunny took his business to Twin Brooks, and got the liquor license from whatever business had it there, and the party began! Yes, unsavory activities ensued and thrived, Gunny became wealthy enough to hunt all over the world, and he displayed his trophies throughout the bar. Card games,which included farm land title transfers, fights that are now legend, dancing girls on the pool tables,guns drawn, you name it, it happened there.

Some of the surviving legends are the Coon Pecker Contest and Big Buck contest.

[linked image]
      My Big buck from 2007
      [linked image]
      Big Buck Contest 2007 Ol'Gunslinger's Bar

You can barely see my rack behind the big whitetail rack, a humbling experience, I just wanted to get mine scored, 160 2/8 for those of you who care, one less deer on the road!

Boy this thread has taken a severe turn from Feeling the Love of GLMC!

Stay safe Starwolve!

Bob

Your Name
    Your Email
    (Optional)
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options Enable formatted text (Huh?)
    Also send responses to my email address