Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • The truth
    • High Master PPC 50 (no login)
      Posted May 25, 2007 3:28 PM

I shot in the South Carolina Regional two weeks ago. During the two 1500's and the two teams I fired the 50 yard line six times. I shot a one down, 4 two downs and a three down. I have fired 5 perfect 600's in match 5 and several 240 match four's in competition during my 30 year career. I say this not to brag, but so you will know that I speak from experience and not opinion.
      There are two things that are critical at the 50 yd line; sight alignment and trigger movement. Don't worry so much about what your sight picture is, because your sights can move about 6" up and down without being out of the 10 ring. When you look at your sights pay particular attention to the flat line formed by the top of the front sight and the tops of the rear sight. If you concentrate on this flat line, the front sight will natually center itself in the rear sight notch.
      The truth is that most shooters do this just fine. The real difference between good 25 yard shooters and good 50 yard shooters is in what they do with the trigger. Most shooters align the sights by stopping the trigger or slowing it down drastically just before firing to make sure that they have perfect sight alignment. Remember the laws of physics; IT IS EASIER TO KEEP SOMETHING IN MOTION THAN IT IS TO BEGIN TO MOVE AN OBJECT THAT IS AT REST. Keeping the trigger in motion is the surest way to maintain the sight alignment that you struggled to achieve. Keeping the trigger moving is the most critical operation in shooting good 50 yard targets. If I could bold it, underline it and put it in a larger font, I would still no be giving it enough credit. Forget everything else, mentally focus on the flat sight line and keep the trigger moving and I promise you your 50's will soon get better.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement