Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Re: Barrel leading
    • Anonymous (Login policepistol)
      Owner
      Posted Jul 11, 2007 10:20 PM

One of my favorite quick & easy posts from http://www.1911forum.com

Lead Removal From Barrels
      I wanted to post the best way I have found to remove lead build-up from my firearm barrels for our newer members to the 1911 Family. I am EXTREMELY meticulous about cleaning my firearms and I have honestly tried almost every product you could name. I have spent a lot of money and time over the years and this is what I have found to honestly work the best. I know a lot of us reload for the .45 and those reloads are more than likely lead for cost reasons or SWC bullseye shooting. The best way I have personally found to remove lead from your barrel is this.
      Go to Wal-Mart/Kmart and pick up a package of Chore-Boy copper mesh cleaning pads. They are quite cheap. You will want to cut a square piece of one of the pads and wrap it around one of your nylon bore brushes. I have seen people state that you should then use Hoppes or a similiar product on the Chore Boy patch. I have found that keeping the patch and barrel dry works the best. Then simply run the Chore-Boy patch in and out of the barrel and you will have lead chunks/slivers coming out. The copper mesh is very soft and it WILL NOT scratch your barrel. Your barrel is harder than that.
      Repeat this until you are satisfied that all the lead is out. Then clean the barrel with the cleaner of your choice such as Hoppes/Breakfree CLP/Outers etc.
      As I stated above I have tried almost every cleaner/method and I have found this to work the best on my barrels.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement