Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Ammo is not the only key to accuracy at the 50
    • Larry Malin (no login)
      Posted May 23, 2009 3:51 AM

When debating the merits of this ammo vs that ammo I think it behooves us to take into account the mechanical condition of the revolver (or any other firearm) that we are trying to get to shoot well. Do we have good barrel to cylinder alignment, is the forcing cone cut concentric to the bore and the proper depth, and is the barrel crown square and concentric with the bore? Are the cylinder throats uniform and LARGER than the barrel bore. If the cylinder throats swage the bullet down smaller than the barrel bore then poor accuracy will result The best ammo (or load) in the world won't shoot worth a damn if the gun is not capable. I became revolver distinguished in '93 using Precision Delta ammo. It is very accurate out of my Model 19 S&W but I have worked over the cylinder throats, set the barrel back one turn and recut the forcing cone square and concentric to the bore as well as recut the barrel crown square and concentric to the bore. The barrel/cylinder alignment is good. I am now shooting bullseye with this same gun and picked up 6 points (Bullseye Revolver Distinguished) last year at a Phoenix Regional match using Precision Delta ammo. I have had good luck using Ken's load with WW231 powder and Federal #100 primers seated to his OAL using Remington bullets in my S&W 686's. I am going to try some Laser Cast 158 grain bullets as their 45 and 9MM bullets shoot VERY accurate out of my Les Baer .45 and SA 9MM Longslide. The BASES of these bullets are VERY UNIFORM and SQUARE and THAT is as important as a square and concentric barrel crown. The Remington 158 grain bullets bases are not real uniform so I sort them for match shooting. (I am a licensed ammo manufacturer so I can load my own new manufacture Distinguished ammo.) Last but not least in this lengthy disertation is CONSISTANCY in your LOADER operation. Rob Leatham covers this in his Precision Loading with the Dillon progressive loader video. I have an excellent article (making revolvers shoot) that Ron Power gave us during a revolver tuning class I took way back in 1991. I will share it with anyone interested just leave me an e-mail address and I'll scan it to you.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement