Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Call me names...
    • jim (no login)
      Posted Feb 3, 2010 4:53 PM

I am not new to competition having shot at the Camp Perry National as a Junior and at the Int. Championships as well.. This was in rifle. Back then it was pricy to get the rifle and all the needed gear.
      Now as I return to the range I find that its still pricey. I have a 6 inch custom pistol with split sights (no rib) and a 5 inch Springfield. Last year I was unable to shoot just two pistols and had to pack a pistol for the Open, Dist, and Duty matches. This year it looks like I only need two. This means more money left over for ammo and maybe even some travel money...
      That sounds good to me as a relitively new/returning shooter.

Now for the debate on the 6 in. vs. the 5 in... I shot Bullseye for some time and actually found the 6 in to be a liability due to the added lock time and required followthrough. Just look across the line at the Bullseye Nationals and you will not find many 6 inch pistols. Consider that the Precision phase is shot at 50 yards and has a smaller X ring then the B27. If I was not able to build my own (6 inch) pistol I would have been perfectly happy to shoot my 5" SA with adj sights for all three matches..

In my warped vision I see the NRA making it easier on the wallet on the new shooters who wont have to have three specialty pistols to compete. I see the custom houses losing out on some business but not much.

In the grand scheme of things I feel blessed that I am healthy enough to pick up the pistol and shoot to begin with. I remember matches as a great place to meet old and make new friends, to share good times with and pop some caps.

I am looking forward to attending next fall and hope to see all of you there!
      Now excuse the ramblings of returing shooter...
      Is the LINE READY?!
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement