Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • comment on rule changes
    • Unregistered Member (no login)
      Posted Jan 30, 2011 5:56 PM

Ive been contacted by a couple guys wondering what I had against the new Dist Semi auto rule. First of all I have nothing against Springfield or the custom shop.Exactly the oposite Ive only been shooting their guns exclusively for over 10 years,great people /great service GREAT 1911s love em, cant get enough of em, hug em,AWESOME people and GREAT products. I wish I had waited a year to get my new dist gun built a couple years ago, as I had a 5" made ( would have liked to know that 6" would be approved a year later) and passed down my older Springfield Dist guns to a new shooter, who I am sure feels the same way as I did,Im sure there are many others out there with the same predicament.So when the 6" rule came out we(the older more experienced shooters) told the younger guys starting out hey get a 6" PPC 9 or a 6" 1911 non bull barrel no rib and man youre lucky you only need one gun,so Some of the new shoters listened and bought PPC9s (sometimes at quite a cost) and we patted them on the back telling them how lucky they were,one gun for both ,should help their shooting and Dist S/A scores alot.Now the rules change again to allow a Bull Barreled gun in Dist S/A. Thats the same gun most of my team has been shooting in the open class for 10 years,we pretty much stayed away from the added weight of a rib.Now the new guys feel behind the curve,and rightly so, that they arent shooting a bull barrel gun,either for dist S/A or in the open class(because they wanted a gun they could shoot for both).And yes I know you can and I have shot great scores with the 5" guns and the 6" non bull barrel guns , BUT come on most of us find and know that the bull- barreled guns, added weight and stabilization makes shooting well much easier,otherwise we wouldnt be carrying around 55 ounce revolvers and S/A pistols. Let alone people that may have just had a $2000.00 dist Semi auto built a couple years ago and now ,especially at NPSC your going to be hard pressed to be competitive against the same class of shooter as yourself shooting a 6" bull barrel 1911 if your trying to point out or win.I know I feel extremely lucky as do my teammates that already have a longslide bull barrel,but feel bad for some of the newer shooters,that cant or shouldnt have to try to dig up the money for a new custom made 6" gun.Especially now that NO ONE is buying a 5" gun,so they cant even sell that for what its worth and If THE NRA doesnt allow the use of the R-S non tri-set sight (like they did last year)on the 5" guns you cant even salvage them for the stock auto match.While Im on the subject I intend to call Marc Lipp this week to determine what exactly is or not allowed,Heck if you go to THE NRA PPC rules website on one page they still limit the dist S/A to 7.5" in the general description page.I dont know what bad email was sent out but if its info that is found on the NRA PPC rules info pages cant it be removes so it stops some of the confusion.Anyway I hope this explained my frustration in my earlier post. Thanks Bob
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement