Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • 148 wc load
    • Tony60 (Login tonyk60)
      Posted Jan 27, 2014 3:22 AM

JB, I hear where you are coming from. I had my forcing cone cut real shallow as I found the "standard" S&W cone was set too sharp for swaged or cast pills, them little WC's need a gentle hand to get into that barrel.If you ever have a look at a Manhurin target revolver, the forcing cone is about the same length as the projectile they shoot out of them, and they are very very accurate pistols. I put a Shilen 1-10" barrel on the gun as I also wanted to shoot another match we have down here in Aus. using light pills the 1-10 stabilised everything just right. My gunsmith used a range rod and a lot of cursing (apparently) to get the cylinder and bore to align up, building the cylinder stop up the right way to bring everything into alignment.

The bullet lead (throat) in the cylinder is the most difficult to deal with, either live with the fact that they might!! be different and accept the WC's are going through some horrible sized holes to get to that .355 barrel where they can settle down and do what they are supposed to do, as long as they aren't smaller than the barrel you are heading in the right direction.
      I toyed with the idea, a long time ago and put it out of my mind, what if you rebored out the front of the cylinders and then put a "known" diameter insert back in to take another variable out of the equation. I have a very grumbly gunsmith, I didn't need to make him even more so, but we do toy with the idea over a brew every now and then, building the "perfect" gun.

You are sure right with the amount of crimp, it can turn a good load into rubbish, real fast. Too much and you damage that nose, not enough and you get inconsistent burn, and movement of the projectile in the case. I also found out a long time ago that the make of brass makes a difference, I prefer Winchester as it has thin walls, not +P brass. some of the others are too thick, and they are the cases that compress the projectile.

Lot's of range time with a rest, a chronograph and a reloading press.

But as you said, everyone has an opinion and it is a lot of trial and error, talking to even more people and working out what will work for you. If it was easy, we wouldn't have forums like this for people on two sides of the world sharing ideas.

Yep, and I wish I could shoot anywhere near as good as my gun does too.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement