Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • 148 wc load
    • JB (Login x-cop)
      Posted Jan 27, 2014 9:34 PM

Toney,
      Good exchange on this subject. Prob be able to go on and on with ideas and exchange. Sounds like you have gone the full route and thought about this as much as I have. I went as far as to purchase a tool called a Constant Crimp tool. It is an arm with a torque adjustment on it you use in place of the regular press arm(SINGLE STAGE PRESS)so you can apply different crimp pressure. Doesnt do a bit of good in my opinion, Had to try it though. Just something else I put in the corner for the spiders to build their nests in. Works good with a Lee Collet sizing die for my rifle loads,but not something you really need. The video the maker puts out makes it look like the better mouse trap.Another gimmick my opinion.
      As far as the cyl throats, find the largest one and hone out the others to that diameter, as long as you dont go over.358 you should be good to go.Prob get by with .359 with the Remington bullets.
      Grumpy smithie, everyone needs one like a good case of the runs(LOL).I try to do my own work, except dont have a lathe or milling machine.
      Shllen barrel, cant go wrong. Is your frame an older one with a pinned bbl or taper threaded one. If taper really have to be careful when put the new bbl on so it does not squeese down and give you a tight spot. Another thing when the new bbl is tightened down, back should be dressed off and true so it bears evenly on the front of frame, prob should be torqued down.
      You are right about the forcing cones with an abrupt angle, I used the Ruger 5 degree angle for an gradual entry into the rifling as oposed to the recommended 11 degree cut.Another critical factor is the crown and finish cut.
      Lots of time and experimentation goes into this. Some folks just get dumb lucky and get a gun that will shoot just about anything.Never that lucky.
      Enjoyed our exchange of thoughts.Any ideas or suggestions you have on this welcomed. I learn from others since I dont know everything.
      Be safe
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement