Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Barrel leading
    • Dave (Login Dave1500)
      Posted May 12, 2015 7:15 PM

Hi All

A while back I posted a message about poor grouping from a PPC barrel. I got several helpful replies suggesting remedies.

I put these into effect. Results were great - one hole groups at 25 metres. Yippee. But now I have leading problems around the forcing cone and a short way up the barrel, half inch or so. Leading occurs within 15/20 shots

I now have the same barrel which slugs at .355 and 1 in 10 twist. the forcing cone was cut 1 mm deeper than a Browns insert and still at 11 degree. The crown was recut to a recessed flat 90 degree about 3mm inside an 11 degree outer.

Loads used vary from 2.1 to 2.7 Viht 310: 2.7/2.8 Bullseye: 2.7 to 3.2 GM3

Bullets .355 to .358 HBWC with a hardness of around 9.

The one hole group was achieved with 2.7 Bullseye with a .355 smooth sided HBWC. I sat all six rounds inside a single black patch at 25 metres.

I read all sorts of reasons - too hard or too soft bullets; too fast or too slow; too big or too small diameter;

The leading occurred in my first batch of trials working up from 2.1 Viht (a fast powder above Bullseye but slower than Titegroup) using a .357 HBWC through 2.2; 2.3; 2.4 etc when I stated to get fliers and found the leading to be the culprit.

Can anyone give me the correct cause.

Cheers. Dave

Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement