Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Barrel leading
    • Tony Kent (Login tonyk60)
      Posted May 28, 2015 2:53 AM

Sounds good JB, pretty much what we have both been saying. I wonder how many Dave was testing prior to getting the leading, I know that I have gotten carried away and before you know it there is a dozen groups of 24 down range, and yep, leading. I tend to shoot 24 shot groups at 50, 25 will take care of itself, the points are lost at 50. I shoot 24 as this is the size group I am going to get in that series, makes sense.

Each time I try another load a bronze brush goes in and the barrel and cylinder gets a good scrub so I can see my face in them.

I suppose we should talk about lube, the killer of all groups, too much or too little. I have in the past re-lubed some pills with moderate results, most just don't need the extra lube and the results can change dramatically. If they are using a good lube it should be enough, when the projectiles are swaged they use a swaging lube so the lead doesn't stick in the die, which isn't suitable to shoot with so an additional lube is dipped over the top. I've used knurled projectiles and smooth sided, mixed results with both.

Powders which are too fast will also cause leading as the flame is so hot it can melt the bases, my preference is Bullseye or WST.

Look at what I said in my last post, pull those projectiles and mike up the head. I can almost guarantee that they are undersized, the new expander solved my problems.

cheers

Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement