Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Marc Lipp's answer
    • toddcfii (Login toddcfii)
      Posted Aug 24, 2016 12:04 AM

While I appreciate Marc's answer and think he really is the last word on what is officially OK, I do not think his understanding of how a revolver action job works is completely correct. Marc said:

"Again, while we know it is occasionally done, it actually does nothing for actual trigger pull weight, it just takes tension off of the Main Spring which causes lighter primer hits, can lead to misfires, and can cause the main spring to come off the hammer strut, disabling the revolver. The Rebound Spring and Slide are the main components that deal with trigger pull weight. Work on these components and polishing are what create a “crisper and/or smoother trigger pull” as allowed under the rules."

Taking tension off the mainspring does make a lighter trigger pull weight (at least DA). I and many, many others have seen it first hand through replacing main springs, adjusting set screws and bending main springs. In fact replacement of the rebound spring does almost nothing for trigger pull weight unless combined with other things like adjusting or changing out the mainspring. Polishing parts does also often leads to a lighter trigger pull.

I make these assertions from 1. My first hand knowledge and using tools to measure trigger pull weights in various configurations, 2. Talking to my local very experienced S&W gunsmith and 3. Perusing the internet at length on the subject.

I think Marc is trying hard to interpret the rules as he thinks is right and obviously others agree with him but his statements about how trigger pull weights are affected make me doubt his knowledge on the subject a little bit. I AM NOT A GUNSMITH. And I am talking about PPC competition type revolvers, not everyday carry. Marc's statements about S&W gunsmiths and their training and light primer hits are not relevant to the PPC discussion at hand as long as the gun works for your application. So feel free to disagree but I can point to a lot of online sources that show what I am talking about.

Respectfully.

Todd
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement