Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Federal primer seating
    • Tony Kent (Login tonyk1960)
      Posted Mar 14, 2017 6:08 AM

Andrew, you are wasting a whole heap of time and energy that could be spent shooting. Having bought my first RL550 back in the early 80's I was told the trick of getting consistent seating from an "old hand". The issue isn't in the press as such, but in ALL presses. If you consider the shape of the shell plate, it has to be a straight sided horseshoe otherwise you cannot get the case into the shell plate, issue 1.

Because of the design, when you try to seat a primer there is always the issue of the case tipping back ever so slightly so the primer doesn't sit square to the plate. Put a case in and tip it back manually to prove this. Unless you have rims that are so thick they bind in the shell plate this is a given. This is what causes the light strikes, you are trying to "reseat" the primer flat in the pocket.

Solution, and remember I have been doing this since the 80's, I am not even going to guess how many rounds my press has loaded, just in case my missus finds out...... When you seat the primer on the up stroke, just back the handle off ever so slightly and turn the case 180 degrees, and then raise the handle again to reseat the primer from the other side of the case. Effectively levelling off the primer on the bottom of the primer pocket.

I've never had a 650, or can afford one. In fact I have never seen one in operation, but I can load 500 rounds an hour on my 550 so why would I want another press. It may take a little time to get used to, but give it a go. Beats the hell out of rehandling out of the press.

My primers look as if someone has hammered them in and sure do have that dimple in the middle, but I also can't remember the last time I had a light strike either. That was press related.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement