Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • How do you Pull Your Revolver Trigger ?
    • Tony Kent (Login tonyk1960)
      Posted Apr 28, 2017 2:14 AM

Good question Andrew, and not an easy one to answer. So without making too many enemies here I'll give it a go.

There is no one true method that will suit everyone and everyones shooting style, back in the 80's a fellow by the name of Rod Frisby went over to WA and spent some time with the up and coming SP shooters there, Dom, Max and Peter to name a couple. If you can go back over some old Nationals results you'll see who Rod is, and I am sure Dom and crowd will remember him, not long after they were winning Nationals. I shot with Rod for a number of years and finally took over his place in the SA team when he gave it all away. Rod was a champion of the keep squeezing method, and it has it's merits. It's easier to keep something moving smoothly if you don't stop and try to restart, one of the Newtons laws I believe, something about objects at rest. If you are looking at your sights and are squeezing that front sight through the rear notch smoothly then the appreciable amount of movement is negligible via the trigger, remember this is a slow smooth movement. This is how I was taught and used for 15+ years.

Then......

I had a gun built with, as you point out, a piece of neoprene at the rear of the trigger. I must point out that all of my guns still have the hammer spur firmly attached. So to lighten the trigger off it also interferes with the trigger weight, 1360gms for SP, to alleviate being disquailified I wound the set screw up in the trigger so it comes into contact with the stop thereby being able to adjust the single action trigger weight, even though I shoot the gun double action. If you set the trigger fine enough you can use the stop as a hold position thereby being able to pull the trigger back quite firmly, holding in position and letting it break when you want, aligning sights etc. Great for minimising the trigger overtravel. Yep, works fine, used this method for around 12-15yrs too.

I have Wolf springs, in a box in the cupboard, none of my guns have them in, all S&W original springs. The trigger doesn't have to be light to be good, it has to be smooth. I think John Pride won his first Bianchi with a stock Smith with a 16 pound trigger, BUT it was smooth. Glad to be shot down in flames here guys if I'm wrong wink.gif

I've now gone back to the original method of squeezing and not stopping, my scores haven't gone down but maybe I've lost the odd flyer at 50 due to unconscious snatching, making it go off when I am ready, not when the gun is due to break. None of this Andrew is achieved overnight, if you haven't tried either for at least 6-12 months then you haven't really given it a go, it takes time to rid a habit and get muscle memory to work.

I realise none of this is lightbulb moments, but it's about putting in the yards. What works for you, works for you, I tried both and went back to what I was taught.

Give my regards to the guys and gals
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement