Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Copper plated projectiles
    • Tony Kent (Login tonyk1960)
      Posted Nov 3, 2017 4:08 PM

No problems at all with the washed or plated projectiles. Because the wash is extremely thin compared to a jacketed projectile the amount of pressure needed to push these through a barrel is negligible so putting little excess pressure on the forcing cone, which is where the issue will lie, not in the barrel. Jacketed rifle shooters find barrel erosion in front of the chamber from the gasses needed to drive the projectile at those velocities, it isn't found 20" down the barrel. Depending on calibre this can be less than 5000 rounds, I shoot over 10000 per year with lead (every year).

If you can scratch the plating or wash off the projectile by rubbing it on a concrete floor then I would have no issues with using them. I use a hard cast projectile with a baked coating and can be as hard as your washed projectiles, up to 1000fps.

Try recovering a couple of the fired projectiles and see if there is lead showing on the lands or grooves, you may find that there is minimum lead showing so there will still be lead in the atmosphere.
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)

Notice: This is a moderated forum. Your post will not show up until a moderator approves the message. If you regularly have full posting privileges, you may have to login first.

Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement