<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Welcome

September 10 2001 at 6:41 PM
No score for this post
Gravity  (Login policepistol)
Owner

Welcome to the forum everyone!
I have looked around for quite a while trying to find a forum dedicated to PPC shooting and I have never been able to come across one. I hope everyone enjoys the forum and exchange of information here in a positive manner.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
DaveW
(no login)

Hello From The UK!

No score for this post
September 11 2001, 6:09 AM 

Hi there Gravity - seems I'm the first here...

We shoot PPC in the UK, and call it 'the 1500' or '1500PPC' - it used to be one of the most popular comps till 1997 when our handguns were taken away, but a few of us continue to shoot it using a variety of 'long barrelled revolvers' (12" barrel, plus a kind of wrist support that extends under the arm, making the overall length of the gun 24" - the minimum overall length for a legal cartridge firing gun in the UK) and pistol cal. lever actions like the Marlin 1894 and the Rossi.

I shoot it with a Marlin 1894 in .38/.357, with the action slicked up a little. We allow red-dots and scopes on the rifles, which I guess sounds strange unless you've tried it, and mine is a 3-9x50. I can usually get (just!)over 1400, but so far haven't done any beter. I plan to buy one of the long barrelled revolvers (Ruger SRH in .38/.357) in 2002.

Since 97 there's also a politically correct 'european' version of the target, with a huge arrow where the head is on the regular US target, but we don't use those yet at my club, as we have lots of the originals left.

I look forward to reading this forum as other folks get involved!

Regards,

Dave.
(a regular on Ruger Forum)

Dave Beltz
(no login)

PPC In Chambersburg, PA

No score for this post
September 26 2001, 6:28 PM 

Gravity,

Looks like it would be a nice place around here if you could drum up a few more. I'll sent out some links for ya.

I shoot PPC in Chambersburg, PA. Have done so for close to two years. I used a Glock 31 for the first year. I now use a custom 686 PPC gun.

Some of the guys I shoot with are in Mississippi at the Nationals. I know one of them will place in the top 5, as he did last year.

I would like a link to a site with the official rules if you know of one.

Gravity
(no login)

Untitled

No score for this post
September 26 2001, 10:43 PM 

Hi Dave.
Doesn't seem to be much out there. Kind of hard to find info. One of the reasons I decided to try to start up a forum for people to stop by once in a while.
If I rmemebr right there is a section of the NRA website with the rules but it's buried. You'd have to dig a little.

Mark L. Paddack
(no login)

Looking for 686PPC

No score for this post
May 25 2004, 4:34 AM 

Do you still shoot your 686 PPC or are you ready to sell? Mark L. Paddack, Ocean City, Maryland

Greg Armstrong
(no login)

No PPC - But we do have Service Pistol

No score for this post
October 1 2001, 2:43 AM 

Here in Australia we can only shoot "authorised matches" - unfortunately PPC is not authorised. We do have a very close cousin though, known as Service Pistol. The match consists of 90 shots, is shot over distances from 50 yards to 7 yards, with the last 12 shots fired from an "unsighted" stance. A Bianchi type power factor of 120 (bullet weight X velocity / 1000) is set a a minimum.
Guns can not weigh more than 1400 grams (3 LB 1.5 oz) and must fit inside a box approximately 12" long and 9" wide.

Maximum score is 900. A good score is around the 875 mark. I hold the current NSW state record with 886.

The target used is the same as the old NRA B14, with a 6" X 4" 10 ring and no X ring. No one has ever shot a perfect score - so there is no need for X's.

Four targets are setup and patched after each stage. The targets turn to face the shooter and turn away after the time allowed for the string has expired.
The gun is drawn from a holster and the hand position is as per Bianchi "surrender" position.

The most challenging stages are the "multiples" - where the shooter has 6 seconds to draw and fire 3 shots on one target 1 and 3 shots on target 2. In the next string the shooter has 6 seconds to draw and fire 2 shots on targets 2,3 &4.

The actual match sequence is:
At 50 yards - 24 shots --Time allowed 165 seconds
Tgt 4 .... 6 Prone
Tgt 3 .... 6 Sitting or Kneeling
Tgt 2 .... 6 Right side barricade
Tgt 1 .... 6 Left side barricade

At 25 Yards - 36 shots
Tgt 4 ....6 shots RHS Barricade - 15 seconds
Tgt 3 ....6 Shots LHS Barricade - 15 seconds
Then in 35 seconds (a speedloader is required here)
Tgt 1 ....6 shots LHS barricade - reload
Tgt 2 ....6 shots RHS barricade.

Then in 6 seconds (two strings 6 seconds for each)
Tgt 1 ....3 shots & Tgt 2 ....3 shots
Tgt 2 ..2 shots & Tgt 3..2 shots & Tgt 4 ..2 shots

At 10 Yards
Tgt 4 ....6 shots in 4 seconds
Tgt 3 .... 3 shots from the right hand & 3 shots from the left hand (one hand at a time) in 8 seconds.
Tgt 1 ...3 shots & Tgt 2 ...3 shots in 4 seconds (both target are engaged in one 4 second string)

At 7 Yards (Speedloader required)
Tgt 1 ...6 shots Reload.. Tgt 2 ...6 shots in 15 seconds. The gun may not come above the shoulders of the shooter in this position. (The shooter may not use the sights during this string)

Penalties are handed out for foot faults, early starts and skid shots are called as a "zero".

Try it out - it is heaps of fun.

Greg Armstrong
(no login)

No PPC - But we do have Service Pistol

No score for this post
October 1 2001, 2:44 AM 

Here in Australia we can only shoot "authorised matches" - unfortunately PPC is not authorised. We do have a very close cousin though, known as Service Pistol. The match consists of 90 shots, is shot over distances from 50 yards to 7 yards, with the last 12 shots fired from an "unsighted" stance. A Bianchi type power factor of 120 (bullet weight X velocity / 1000) is set a a minimum.
Guns can not weigh more than 1400 grams (3 LB 1.5 oz) and must fit inside a box approximately 12" long and 9" wide.

Maximum score is 900. A good score is around the 875 mark. I hold the current NSW state record with 886.

The target used is the same as the old NRA B14, with a 6" X 4" 10 ring and no X ring. No one has ever shot a perfect score - so there is no need for X's.

Four targets are setup and patched after each stage. The targets turn to face the shooter and turn away after the time allowed for the string has expired.
The gun is drawn from a holster and the hand position is as per Bianchi "surrender" position.

The most challenging stages are the "multiples" - where the shooter has 6 seconds to draw and fire 3 shots on one target 1 and 3 shots on target 2. In the next string the shooter has 6 seconds to draw and fire 2 shots on targets 2,3 &4.

The actual match sequence is:
At 50 yards - 24 shots --Time allowed 165 seconds
Tgt 4 .... 6 Prone
Tgt 3 .... 6 Sitting or Kneeling
Tgt 2 .... 6 Right side barricade
Tgt 1 .... 6 Left side barricade

At 25 Yards - 36 shots
Tgt 4 ....6 shots RHS Barricade - 15 seconds
Tgt 3 ....6 Shots LHS Barricade - 15 seconds
Then in 35 seconds (a speedloader is required here)
Tgt 1 ....6 shots LHS barricade - reload
Tgt 2 ....6 shots RHS barricade.

Then in 6 seconds (two strings 6 seconds for each)
Tgt 1 ....3 shots & Tgt 2 ....3 shots
Tgt 2 ..2 shots & Tgt 3..2 shots & Tgt 4 ..2 shots

At 10 Yards
Tgt 4 ....6 shots in 4 seconds
Tgt 3 .... 3 shots from the right hand & 3 shots from the left hand (one hand at a time) in 8 seconds.
Tgt 1 ...3 shots & Tgt 2 ...3 shots in 4 seconds (both target are engaged in one 4 second string)

At 7 Yards (Speedloader required)
Tgt 1 ...6 shots Reload.. Tgt 2 ...6 shots in 15 seconds. The gun may not come above the shoulders of the shooter in this position. (The shooter may not use the sights during this string)

Penalties are handed out for foot faults, early starts and skid shots are called as a "zero".

Try it out - it is heaps of fun.

SGT. Vince Stoyanoski
(no login)

Found your forum

No score for this post
October 23 2001, 11:47 AM 

Nice to see a place to get to know other PPC shooters and chat about matches and equipment. I've been in the sport for two years now and have noticed it growing from what I hear it used to be. We need more support for our sport.
They've even started a PPC organization in Oklahoma and is headed up by Off. Rob Kemmet of the Oklahoma City P.D. if anyone is interested.
We've also got some good matches here in Oklahoma, a regional in Woodward in April, and the state match in OKC in August. There is also a small registered match in Cushing, Ok. every month, and another one I've heard may be starting up near Tulsa.
It would be nice to post match dates and contact info on here. Might be able to get more people to the matches.
Happy shooting, thankful for the sight!

Mark Herzog
(no login)

PPC Shooters

No score for this post
November 9 2001, 11:43 AM 

Just to let you all know... we maintain a fairly extensive PPC section on our gun club web site (Barrie Gun Club). The PPC area details courses of fire, match dates, and much more. Not only for our area, but other areas as well since we have people from all over visiting the site.

We list match dates not just here in Canada, but also in Michigan and for New York state when we are advised of them.

Please feel free to visit the site and if you have match dates you'd like to promote please send me e-mail and let me know... I'll post them on the site.

Our web site is: www.bgc.barrie.on.ca

My e-mail is: ppc_shooter@hotmail.com

Good shooting...

Mark.

JAY RITE
(no login)

NORTH AMERICAN PPC CHAMPIONSHIPS

No score for this post
December 5 2001, 1:02 AM 

HI MARK
JAY HERE FORM BEAUTIFUL VANCOUVER, BRITISH COLUMBIA. BEEN SHOOTING PPC FOR 31 YEARS AND STILL LOVE IT. I STILL HAVE THE ONLY PPC SHOOTING SCHOOL IN THE WORLD. I EVEN HAD THE CHINESE NATIONAL PPC TEAM HERE THIS SUMMER FOR LESSONS. BY THE WAY WE USE THE C-27 TARGET VERY GOOD FOR KIDS, WOMEN AND BEGINNERS AND EVEN OLD GUYS. MY YOUNGEST COMPETITOR IS 12 AND MY OLDEST IS 72. WE HAVE OUR NEW WEB SITE OPERATING NOW. http://ppcbc.homestead.com/index.html
ALSO FOR YOUR INFO "JOSEF STADLER" IN GERMAN HAS A GOOD PPC SITE FOR THEIR ASSOCIATION. HE RUNS THE WORLD PPC 1500 ASSOCIATION.http://www.wa1500.org/index.htm
I HAVE LOOKED AT YOUR SITE MANY TIMES. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.....NICE TO SEE OUR PPC BROTHERS DOWN SOUTH ON THE PAGE.

Mark Herzog
(no login)

Website changes & updates

No score for this post
December 5 2001, 9:00 AM 

Just to let everyone know, our website has changed... our new location is: www.barriegunclub.org

The new site is faster with a lot more capability. Lots of info on PPC... here in Canada and in some of the U.S. border states as well.

The Canadian Police Combat Association is the National governing body here and their rule book (very similar to the NRA book) is available as a download from our website (for those of you who were looking).

We also have links to many other PPC organizations and clubs, match dates, etc..

Hope you enjoy...

Rodney Thigpen
(no login)

New to Reloading

No score for this post
April 18 2004, 11:05 AM 

Found your site. Finally, some information on PPC. I shoot with the SC Police Combat League. I have purchased a used Lee Pro 1000. I have never reloaded and really need some help on what type bullets and powder to use. I have a S&W 10-5, with a 6"bull barrel. Any Help is appreaciated.

blixt
(no login)

Re: Welcome

No score for this post
August 13 2004, 9:01 AM 

Not a lot of traffic here so I thought I'd send a hi from a PPC shooter from Sweden...

You guys need to start persuading the NRA to allow us poor civilian shooters to enter matches in the US

Over here its open to all shooters and, at least here in Sweden, growing pretty fast and I think it would be a very nice boost to the discipline to have more international competitions.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement