<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

PPC questions

February 21 2002 at 12:06 AM
No score for this post
Oklahoma cop  (no login)

I am currently trying to get ready for firearms instructor course, I must shoot a 540 or better to pass on the 60 round phase 5. I am having trouble, does a stock s$w mod 19 have enough inherent accuracy to keep everything in the 9 ring or not. The pistol is a 19-3 so I believe it was made in the 80's. It's got alot of rounds down the barrel. What do you guys think? I can turn 280+ front halfs the majority of the time, back half is where it goes bad.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
robin schp
(no login)

Re: PPC questions

No score for this post
April 10 2002, 12:13 PM 

a model 19 smith has all the accuracy one could need from a service revolver. with a four inch barrel it will shoot out to fifty yards at point of aim with very little bullet drop.

Vince
(no login)

Re: Re: PPC questions

No score for this post
May 8 2002, 11:09 AM 

Your model 19 is perfect. Alot of them are shot at the phase II class. Clean up the front half though, you've got to be in the 290s to be able to make the 540 easier.
A little word about practice. LIVE AT THE 50 YARD LINE! Once you can keep your shots in the 8 ring consistently from the 50, the 25 yard line is no problem. Don't worry about the 25, just practice the 50. The 50 can be a little intimidating, but the 540 is alot easier once you find your consistency.
Here's what I've seen while assisting at the school and training other officers for the school. Get as close to 300 as possible on the front half, and shoot the back half without any zingers(make all 24 rounds score). Then put all the last 6 in there, and you've got it licked. Generally, if you shoot 295 or above on the front half, and make every shot score on the back half, you're up over 550!
Don't worry as much about equipment and grips, as long as the speedloaders will not hang up on the grips. The secret is keeping the front sight in total focus, and squeezing the trigger while not disturbing the sight picture.

Good Luck

Jim S.
(no login)

Stock S&W Model 19

No score for this post
May 4 2002, 4:41 AM 

I have not shot PPC in years (a little long in the tooth). When I competed, I alway competed in the Stock division. My sole modification was the addition of H&K grips to the pistol grip (I have rather large hands and long fingers).

Although I do not have experience w/ the Model 19, my revolver is a S&W Model 28 "Highway Patrolman". I believe that gun went out of production in the seventies. I bought mine in 1977 and I cannot imagine the number of rounds that have been pumped down that barrel. It still shoots good ten-ring groups.

I can only make two recommendations: More practice (sorry!) and take the gun to a good smith perhaps he can tune up the action.

Hope this helps some. All the best,

Jim S.

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

Re: Stock S&W Model 19

No score for this post
January 9 2014, 7:03 PM 

Good info

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement