<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

PPC loads

March 16 2002 at 7:53 PM
No score for this post
Greg  (no login)

Ok guys what kind of loads are you using in your guns?
Bullet, powder, primer, case?

Greg

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ken
(no login)

PPC Loads

No score for this post
March 29 2002, 8:20 PM 

I use Star 148HBWC, over 2.7 bullseye. Seems to be the standard load when I started asking around. I haven't found that the make of the case matters, in fact I've mis-matched them and still get better than 10 ring accuracy at 50 yards.

Greg
(no login)

Re: PPC Loads

No score for this post
March 31 2002, 3:48 PM 

Hi Ken, That seems to be the standard load, I dont use it but it works good, my load is VV N320 with 148 precision bullet and I have found out that the cases really do matter I dont mix head stamps the group moves if I do.

charles nickolson
(no login)

precision bullets

No score for this post
June 25 2002, 10:51 AM 

in the late 70s there was a bullet co called precision ammo co. out of valley cottage n.y. they made 148 gr hbwc that were the best around. does any one knoe if this bullet is steel around? you can email me charles@nickolsons.com thanks

mike cearley
(no login)

precision bullets

No score for this post
January 25 2003, 11:28 PM 

the company is now Precision Delta bullets rulesville,ms you can get them on the net @ precision delta .com mike

Jack
(no login)

PPC load

No score for this post
May 26 2002, 3:07 AM 

Any good 148HBWC bullet. 2.9 of 231 or HP38 powder.
Seat bullet just below the mouth with lite to med. roll crimp.Try to use all same brass manufacture. Federal primers best bet.

QWKDRAW
(Login QWKDRAW)

I use WW231

No score for this post
June 11 2002, 4:03 PM 

I'm using a local brand of 148 gr cast double-ended wadcutter. I seat the bullet out just a hair and use winchester small pistol primers. I use 3.2 grains of WW231 with mixed headstamps. Out of my six-inch 686, I get sub 1-inch groups (if I do my part).

jerry
(no login)

ppc loads

No score for this post
July 9 2002, 7:55 PM 

for the 45 acp, hornady no.12308, 230 grain lead round nose, 5.2 grains of universal, r & p brass, wlp primers.

Gravity
(Login policepistol)
Owner

Re: PPC loads

No score for this post
July 20 2002, 4:41 PM 

Hi guys.
I've had good success with W231 at 3.0 with 148 gr.
Old bullseye load I use to go with.

Kevin
(no login)

No score for this post
September 30 2002, 8:24 PM 

I've had good luck with 3.2 of 231, Federal primers and a CP bullets BBWC. The only problem I've had with cases is the mil spec +P are thicker above the cannelure and the case gets a ring from the WC seating deeper. Just make sure that any cases with either a military headstamp like WCC91 or FCC87 is picked out before you load them up.

mike cearley
(no login)

ppc loads

No score for this post
January 25 2003, 11:34 PM 

I use precision delta 148gr. hbwc in ww brass 2.9 ww 231ww primersit shoots beter than I do will give you better results when it gets warm

Bill CAMERON
(no login)

ppc loads

No score for this post
July 28 2003, 6:27 AM 

Greg,

I am loading .38 Casull with 4.5gns of Bulseye with a
125gn teflon coated cast conical projectile and a
Federal primer. What do you think of this load.

Do you have any other loads for light to moderate shooting in APSM or PPC using the 125 teflon conicals.

Thanks,
Bill.

Greg
(no login)

Re: ppc loads

No score for this post
July 28 2003, 8:02 PM 

A friend of mine uses a cast conical type bullet out of a Lee mould. He does not size it its one of the tumble lube moulds, shoots very well just about with any powder but it seems to like the VV powders best. Where do you get the teflon stuff from?

Greg

Herb
(no login)

PPC loads

No score for this post
March 24 2005, 6:38 AM 

I have tried Star spl. match 148hbwc with the following.

WW brass(nickle), Fed. gold medal match GM100M primers and 3.0 of 231, 2.8 0f N320 and 2.8 of Titegroup. All shoot well but to slightly different points of impact. Easy enough to change sights tho'.

ppcmaster
(no login)

PPC loads

No score for this post
March 24 2005, 2:15 PM 

Hello everyone, This is a great topic! But there is one problem, has anyone ransom rested any of thier ammo at 25 or 50 yds.
Thanks
Bob

Ken
(no login)

No Ransom

No score for this post
April 7 2005, 2:39 PM 

I've never had access to a Ransom Rest. I've always used sandbags and worked on getting the best group I could. Once I find a good load on the bags, I go to prone. I actually like this better because when I get a few good 50 yard groups, I know I'm capable of doing it and it didn't come from a machine.

Cheap Quality Bullets!!!!! Help!!!!!

I have a new 1911 that is capable of 50 yard x-ring accuracy using Remington match 185gr JSWC over 4.5 gr of Bullseye. I love the accuracy of this load....but these bullets are way too expensive for me to shoot all year in practice and competition. Does anyone have a cheaper but equally accurate .45 bullet that they use??? Star bullets are hard to find, so for now they are out of the equation until Precision Delta gets their tooling up and running.

My only other option is to use cheaper stuff for the short line and stay with the Remington JSWC for the 50 yard line.

max
(Login maxwell45120)

ransom rest

No score for this post
June 29 2005, 5:51 AM 

Sure have,
Every year prior to the Nationals in Australia, I spend sometimes a whole day at the range with all my loading gear [dillon 1050] and plenty of components and chrono.
This is the only way to wring out the very best accuracy, otherwise you are pissing into the wind.

max
(Login maxwell45120)

PPC loads

No score for this post
June 29 2005, 6:28 AM 

Cases; use only 38spl [not +P, the thicker case wall will squash the projectile when seated deep]. Nickel cases are easy to clean but are prone to cracking on the neck much quicker.
I use Win brass 38spl with good success.

Primer; There is only one to use: Federal 100 as they are the softest cup for light actions.

Powder; Try Bullseye as a first choice but others may shoot better in your revolver

Bullets; Get a quantity of various 148hbwc.

Now borrow a ransom rest, get all your gear together, including loading press, chrono, plenty of components, all the tools you may need to adjust dies, scope, and your gun of course, then plan to spend at least 4-6 hours at the range before you get that ultimate tight group.
Match revolvers are like cars and women, they need to be tuned to get the best out of them.

Frank
(Login FrankCanning)

PPC loads

No score for this post
July 20 2005, 8:39 PM 

I am a newbie to this forum, but a PPC/Bullseye shooter for 20+ years. With regard to mixing cases while reloading, different manufacturers may have varying sized flash holes in the cases. The different sized holes will result in slightly different burn rates that will have an efect on your load.

I used to de-cap the cases, clean and tumble, the check the flash holes size with a small drill bit. Sort cases with the same size flash hole or, if you have the time, drill out the hole of your cases to match the largest size flash hole in your batch of cases.

Good shooting!

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

No score for this post
January 3 2014, 8:23 PM 

Good info

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement