<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: 100gr SWC

No score for this post
July 6 2017, 5:04 PM 

Lane579
The higher twist rate on the 686 being a little over 1:18 leans toward a lighter projectile being suited, I use 2.7gr Trail Boss with a 100gr SWC pushed down 3.3mm from the top for a match we shoot over here in WA that allows you to rest the gun on the ground or off a pole at 50 metres. This load will hold about a 2" group with metallic sights, not to bad for a stock revolver.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Tony Kent
(Login tonyk1960)

100gr SWC

No score for this post
July 7 2017, 3:40 AM 

Hey Andrew, we have a match up here in Qld very similar, we call it Service Pistol Unrestricted, just taking the mick mate.

Why so much TB, I'm running 1.9gr but gets a little touchy in the wind. I still prefer BE for performance though.

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: 100gr SWC

No score for this post
July 10 2017, 12:49 AM 

Tony, sorry I thought I replied to this but seems it never went through. The match I was referring to is a SSAA match called Standard Revolver with Animal targets 60 shot match using the bear, fox, rabbit, black powder targets at 50 meters. I found with the stock barrel a little more powder made them stabilize better. Mate Im still get unburnt powder with anything under 2.1 grains of BE so I go to TB for the light stuff as its clean as anything.

Tony Kent
(Login tonyk1960)

100r SWC

No score for this post
July 10 2017, 2:05 AM 

Andrew, I know what you mean. BE is a great powder, but, it still does have that tendency to leave some unburnt stuff behind. Although 20 years ago I would have argued with you, they have changed the picture over the years. Have you tried the Vihtavuori powders, yes they are expensive as all hell, but burn clean as.

I think any powder you use there is a time when you have to look at effectiveness of burn, a too low charge could result in a detonation, as was happening with BE when noah was a lad. Some of the old timers here can verify that. Turned a lot of people away from it for ISSF (UIT) then along came the Win shotgun powders and we were all happy again, apart from the powder left in the bottom of your gun bag after the match.

Stick with what works, we had Dean and the lads up at Cairns two weeks ago shooting the marathon, 1.9gr of TB and 100r SWC shoved 3.3mm in the case was putting good groups down at 50, I like a little bit of recoil so I know it's gone off, there was nothing on these. Don't know if I'd go to a World Champs on them, his call.

I hear the Linda is off shooting shotgun with Gary, Ray Gray has here BP guns, hopefully she won't have too much fun and she'll be back.

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: 100r SWC

No score for this post
July 12 2017, 3:40 AM 

I have a tin of VV N330 which is too slow for anything I have even my 38 Super, did some initial testing and found it not much chop for light loads but I have heard the VV N310 is awesome. I tested some 2.0gr of TB at 50 Yards off a sand bag and its dinner plate accuracy so I am guessing Dean and Pete are using a fast twist barrel with those loads.

Yeah I was in Xring when Linda picked up her shotty much to my dismay, shot an Action Match with here early on in the year and its only the second time she shot it so I guess she is having a crack at different things..can't see her giving up WA1500 though mate she is a scoring machine.

Tony
(Login tonyk1960)

100gr SWC

No score for this post
July 14 2017, 7:10 PM 

I have started to use 310 in my SP25 gun as I was running short of BE, seems to be OK although I do think there is a little more of a crack then with BE. But at 2.0gr there is great accuracy and only a mild increase in felt recoil, just pushes that little bit harder back in the hand.

We all know that no two guns are going to have the perfect load and group, but that is what testing is all about, it's about what suits your gun.

JB
(Login x-cop)

Little update on powder and bullets

No score for this post
August 27 2017, 4:36 PM 

Just back from range from some Ransom Resting several different bullets and powders. Our results were the Precision Delta(their lube and mine)shot the worst. Remington HBWC shot best, sub x-ring, Zero's shot next best x-ring(one hole), Speers just over x ring and some old factory Star Master Match X-ring. Powders we used were 700X, Red Dot, WST,and BA10. Shot several PPC guns with Douglas 1:14 twist bbls. Tried the 100 grain Hi-Teks again and got at best 10 ring. Definitely cannot recommend PD bullets at this time.
Weather dry, 88 degree FA. and no wind.
2.7 Red Dot, 2.0 700X, 2.0 BA10, 2.7 WST
Hi-Tek bullets seated 3.0 mm below mouth(2.99-3.14)using Lee Factory Crimp die.Federal primers. Just thought would pass this on. If helps great.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement