<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

BE OR WIN POWDER

August 16 2002 at 12:52 PM
Score 5.0 (1 person)
CHARLES NICKOLSON  (no login)

I AM ABOUT 25 YEARS OUT OF NATIONAL COMPETITION.I WAS 15 AT MISS. IN 79. I AM GETTING BACK ON A LOCAL LEVEL ONLY.THE STANDARD POWDER WAS 2.7 GR OF B E WITH 148 GR HBWC . WIN 321 STARTED TO BE USED A LITTLE IN 79. WHAT IS THE PROS AND CONS OF BOTH NOW? I HAVE BEEN USING 321 IN MY 45 AND IT SHOOTS GOOD. I DO NOTICE UNBURNT POWDER WHEN I AM SHOOTING THE 38. I DO NOT HAVE A RASUM REST ANY MORE TO CHECK GROOP SIZE. THE 38 IS MY MOST CONSERN. I AM SHOOTING A S&W 686. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Gravity
(no login)

Re: BE OR WIN POWDER

No score for this post
August 17 2002, 3:27 PM 

I have been using 3.0 of Win 231 with really good results for 2 years now.
I have taken it down to 2.8 and been ok.
My bullet choice is Speer 148 hbwc with this powder (3.0 Win 231)
Best of luck!

charles nickolson
(no login)

ppc web sights

No score for this post
August 28 2002, 11:33 AM 

are there any other ppc web sights? what is the best 148 gr hbwc bullet out of my s&w 686?

Unregistered Member
(Login ppcgunner)

Re: ppc web sights

No score for this post
March 25 2017, 1:43 AM 

Check out Zero Bullets. Top notch quality and as accurate as you need them to be.

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

No score for this post
March 28 2017, 10:01 PM 

My S&W 686 likes the 100gr SWC with 2.6gr of Trail Boss for 50 yards with the projectile pushed down 3.3mm from the case mouth, I use Federal Brass but others use the same load with Starline in 38 special. I can ( resting prone with a sandbag ) group <2" with a stock barrel + single action which is very decent for a stock revolver. Never had any joy using HBWC in any weight, seemed to always be tipping with some key holing badly. I still think the HBWC like a twist rate of 1:12 or less to stabilize around 800 fps, the 1:18 & 3/4 twist of most S&W revolvers need you to push the HBWC faster that 850 to stabilize which leads to leading which leads to inaccuracy.

Unregistered Member
(Login CanadaPPC)

Score 5.0 (1 person)
March 30 2017, 10:01 AM 

Hello Andrew,

I second your thoughts on the 100 SWC. I know the guys in my club are really liking the results of these little bullets.
We are running them with WST and N310 though. Love the reduced recoil as well!

Rick
(Login VAPPCTPC)

Where can I get 100 SWC bullets

No score for this post
March 30 2017, 11:56 AM 

I am looking for a source or sources for 100 SWC Bullets in the US. Thanks for any assistance.

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

No score for this post
April 4 2017, 4:24 AM 

Just managed to get my hands on 5 ( 5x 1LBs ) pounds of WST, going to see how 2 grains behind a 100gr go for 25 yards. Did some testing today with 2.8gr for 50 yards and it was good, soft and accurate. What do you recommend for a 50 Yard load with WST is 2.8 a little high with the 100gr SWC ?

Unregistered Member
(Login CanadaPPC)

No score for this post
April 4 2017, 11:20 AM 

Hey Andrew,

We are running 2-2.4 grs of WST for our 50 yard loads. Anywhere from 2 mm to 3 mm deep depending on gun.
700-750 fps seems to be the sweat spot and gives you a PF of 70-75 so no recoil! Sub X-ring

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

No score for this post
April 4 2017, 11:44 PM 

Thanks CanadaPPC for that, I just tested out 2.6gr today in my new model 10 and it was ok but definitely not x-ring accuracy. Was kicking a little bit more than I though but I will go down to 2.4 and see if its better or worse. Love this new revolver I picked up, bull barrel and blued.

gary
(Login TJA1987)

BE vs 231

No score for this post
May 21 2017, 2:30 PM 

Since I retired I have done a lot of reloading for both .38 and 9mm. I have done a lot of testing with a Ransom rest and offer this suggestion from what I have learned. About all you can get anymore that I have had success with is either 3D or Precision Delta 148 wadcutters. Start with 3.0 gr. of 231 go one/tenth of a grain at a time to a max of 3.3 gr. and see which shoots best in your gun. The barrel has a lot to do with which shoots best. Having built at least 20 PPC guns I can tell you that one gun may shoot 3.0 gr. of 231 the best, but another gun (even from the same barrel blank) will shoot 3.2 or 3.3 better. Be patient and give each load a fair chance. I shot a 239-18X match 3 this year using 3.0 gr. of 231 with Can-O-Lead wadcutters I had from years ago.

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: BE vs 231

No score for this post
May 22 2017, 5:59 PM 

Gary, unreal how barrels from the same barrel blanks shoot differently. Some guys I shoot with were discussing something similar the other day about this and how a member had this pistol that had the aristocrat front drill hole come completely through to the rifling. The fact there was a hole about 10mm from the end of the barrel had absolutely no effect on accuracy as the gun was sub x and was owned by a state shooter from SA. Is it possible that the crown condition and angle could influence this difference more so that the rifling ?

Hatman1793
(Login Hatman1793)

Bullseye, WW231, 148 grain wad cutters..........

No score for this post
May 24 2017, 9:11 PM 

I have used WW231 powder, the standard PPC accuracy load being 3.1grains. Similarly, the Bullseye load is/was 2.7 or 2.8 grains.
Now that I am casting my own bullets, I employ the LEE 148grain tumble lube cast bullet, mold # TL358-148-WC. In my Douglas 5" barrel, I drop 2.5 grains of Bullseye powder for excellent results.
Out to 25 yards, even on the B34 target, cast bullets still rule. Plus swagged bullets are hard to find & horrendously expensive.

Roly
(Login CanadaPPC)

100 gr SWC

No score for this post
May 25 2017, 1:27 PM 

Switch over to the 100 gr SWC with 2-2.4 grs of WST and don't look back! You can purchase them now with the Hi-Tek bullet lube from www.xmetaltargets.com they call them the Mosquito bulllet! You will not be disappointed.

Unregistered Member
(Login AHBK)

You got to be kidding me!

No score for this post
May 26 2017, 8:46 PM 

I tried to buy 1,000 of those and the shipping to Pennsylvania was $190. Just the shipping. $285. Total

Andrew
(Login spEKTre)

Re: 100 gr SWC

No score for this post
May 30 2017, 3:41 AM 

Roly
Only just notice the #1 Ranking well done mate just tipping out Dean and his boy.

Lidia Sfreddo
(Login CanadaPPC)

Re: 100 gr SWC

No score for this post
May 30 2017, 4:35 PM 

Hey Thanks Andrew. It must just be a coincidence we are all shooting those 100 SWC lol.

Unregistered Member
(Login Lane579)

100gr SWC

No score for this post
July 6 2017, 1:03 PM 

I've always used either Zero or Speer 148 HBWC with 2.7 of Bullseye out of my Davis model 67. Don't have any plans of changing...BUT...I have a 6" 686 that has been real particular. All this talk of 100gr SWC has me interested...

Brandon
(Login Lane579)

Re: 100gr SWC

No score for this post
July 6 2017, 1:04 PM 

CanadaPPC,
What loads are you using with WST and N310?

Roly
(Login CanadaPPC)

100 SWC

Score 5.0 (1 person)
July 9 2017, 3:52 PM 

Hey Brandon,

For the 100 SWC I'm running 1.9 VV310 or 2.1 WST 3mm below flush. Around 700 fps seems to be the sweet spot for my wheelies!

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement