<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Anyone have a Clays load for .38 148gr HBWC?

May 25 2005 at 5:55 PM
No score for this post
TomF  (Login tomfost)

Looking for a starting load for Clays, since I have a bunch of it, using a 148gr HBWC.

Thanks!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jim Hart
(no login)

Re: Anyone have a Clays load for .38 148gr HBWC?

No score for this post
June 3 2005, 2:38 AM 

Clays is too volital for reduced .38 special loads. You have no margin of error. I've tryed it and I got excellent accuracy, but I was warned by an experiencd reloader not to use clays for PPC.

TomF
(Login tomfost)

Re: Anyone have a Clays load for .38 148gr HBWC?

No score for this post
June 3 2005, 12:46 PM 

So what is the load you used?

Thanks!

max
(Login maxwell45120)

more to it than a starting load

No score for this post
June 29 2005, 5:42 AM 

I'm sure clays is an Austalian powder made by ADI and called Clays on the US market, however its a fast powder in the same range as Bullseye and 231. You should be quite safe starting at around 2.5 grains with the 148HBWC seated about 1/32 out of the case. Crimp is everything to get the best accuracy. The only way to get the best grouping is to borrow a Ransom rest and then take all your loading gear to the range including a chrono. You can expect to spend at least 4-5 hours playing around till you achieve a good tight group. Remember the crimp plays a major part in accuracy, a quarter of a turn can make a huge reduction in the group.Also try a taper crimp Check the velocities with the chrono, if they are inconsistant then you will have vertical strings and a lousy group.
Be careful with HBWC pills with thin skirts as they may blow off if shot too fast giving yo two holes in the target or worse a skirt left in the barrel. Once you have get that tight group lock your dies and don't change them for another load, buy another seating die.
Have fun,
Max
West Australia

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

Re: more to it than a starting load

Score 5.0 (1 person)
January 9 2014, 7:08 PM 

2.5 clays behind a 148 grain hbwc

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement