<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

5" model 10

January 22 2006 at 11:27 AM
No score for this post
Ignatz  (no login)

There's a 5" model 10 with a heavy barrel and 5" Bo-Mar rib at a local Cabella's for sale for $350.00. It seems well used and has gunk build up under the top strap. ( Nobody cleaned the gun before putting it up for sale). Is this an average price for a used PPC gun and can you actually wear one of these things out by shooting light wad-cutter loads through them. I could'nt find any markings on the gun to see who built it. The cylinder rod had a bigger end to fit into the latch under the barrel. It dos'nt look like a craftsman cut the spur off the hammer and refinished it. It's rare that I ask to look at a gun and pass on it. Just wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this pistol... Thanks.. rob

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Jack Bender
(no login)

Re: 5" model 10

No score for this post
January 22 2006, 5:28 PM 

Depends! I have seen some ugly looking guns shoot excellent, depending on the mechanics of it. With a revolver, if the cyl's line up with the bbl just right, timing is good and cyl throats within specs, bbl is good condition(rifling)and forcing cone right angle and not too shallow or deep, cyl stop locks up tight,cyl to bbl gap not too big,no end shake, or yoke shake,could shoot real good. As you can tell with a wheel gun lot comes into play. Proof is in pudding. Machine rest it and that will tell you.
Genuine normal wear (cosmetic) shouldnt mean it wont shoot good.
Wont sell for as much as a newer looking gun though. You get one built look to spend up to a $1000.00 or more.
Shooting wadcutters thru it shouldnt do much hurt at all, almost like shooting .22's re wear and tear.
I had one that was ugly but would shoot X ring at 50 yds because mechanically it came together.
Sure it is a 5" and not a 6"?

Ignatz
(no login)

No score for this post
January 22 2006, 6:41 PM 

Its a 5" for sure. They had a 6" gun there for about $250.00 more. Also with a Bo-Mar rib. I think that was built by "Spokhandguns" not sure of the spelling. When I initially picked up the gun, I opened the cylinder and closed it. I could then spin the cylinder "backwards". I'm not sure if this is a big deal but none of my K frames do this. I'm not afraid to take these things completly apart and fix things, but does that cylinder spinning backwards indicate a certain amount of use? Thanks again for your response.

John Crawford
(no login)

Backwards??

No score for this post
January 23 2006, 12:27 AM 

S&W cylinders shouldn't spin backwards!? Something unusual there!!!

Ignatz
(no login)

Re: Backwards??

No score for this post
January 23 2006, 4:27 AM 

Maybe I'm confused with forward or backwards, but I could spin the cylinder one way after it was closed.

Jack Bender
(no login)

Re: Backwards??

No score for this post
January 23 2006, 1:30 PM 

This is a good indication of the cyl stop spring being too weak or some wanna be gunsmith cutting the spring down to try and "smooth up" the action. This will not allow enough spring tension on the cyl stop for proper lock up,and can effect accuracy. Not real good, easy fix though, just replace the cyl stop spring and leave alone.

Courtney Foose
(no login)

No score for this post
October 1 2006, 3:33 PM 

I bought the "Spokhandguns inc" model 10 -- I assume your at the Cabelas in Hamburg.
Anyway, gun shoots great at 25 yards with wadcutters-- one of the best grouping revolvers Ive seen yet

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement