<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Barrell Twist ?

March 14 2006 at 1:02 PM
No score for this post
Kardar  (Login kardar)

Hello List

I am new to this forum and to PPC. I don't if this questions has been asked before or not but I would like to know what is the preferred twist rate for a PPC revolver.
I am planning to convert a S&W model 15 .38 SPL and put a Clark barrell on it. The available options are 1:10,1:12 and 1:14 twist rate. I will be shooting 148Gr HBWC.

Any help will be greatly appriciated.

Thanks
Kardar

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JB
(no login)

Bbl twist

No score for this post
April 9 2006, 6:09 PM 

Suggest you use 1:14, hope this helps.

Edwin
(Login ornl)

Re: Barrell Twist ?

No score for this post
August 9 2006, 9:04 PM 

Most of us use 1:14" Some have tried 1:12, 1:10, stock is 1:161/2" in most S&W's. If your shooting only 148 HBWC suggest as other guy did 1:14 for 158 SWC's 1:12 might work a little better, depends on the speed you send it at. Several things greatly affect accuracy in these precision pieces... ammo, crimp,bullet, cylinder diameters, throat angle and depth, how hard the primer is struck to cylinder stop fit. Barrel muzzle crown needs to be sharp, and keep the forcing cone clean will help.
Most will shoot around 2 1/2" but in over 25 years of playing at it, 24 shots in 1.023" was the best I was ever able to obtain, an exceptional PPC gun can do around 1 1/4" with proper ammo tuned for it, with many in the 1 1/2" to 2" range.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement