<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HBWC bullet?

July 26 2006 at 12:10 PM
No score for this post
IPshooter  (no login)

Hello all,

I'm hoping you can help some of us who are shooting swaged HBWC's in .32 S&W Long semi-auto pistols. We are using these in the ISSF Center Fire match.

The short story is many of us seem to have real difficulty getting these bullets to group well. Problems include crummy groups, consistent tipping of most bullets, and even keyholing.

We know you guys have been using HBWCs for decades, and we were wondering if you had any guidance on the following:

1. What seems to be the preferred relationship of barrel diameter to bullet diameter?

2. What seems to be the best twist rate?

3. Does there seem to be a preferred velocity?

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. We're slowly going nuts trying to get some high dollar pistols to shoot well.

TIA

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ignatz
(no login)

Re: HBWC bullet?

No score for this post
July 31 2006, 7:43 PM 

I've been using Speer 100 gr. hbwc's that are sized .314 with no problems at 25 yards. I also used Magnus hard cast bullets sized .313 from Champions Choice with no problems. I have an early Pardini HP and my wife uses a Hammerli 280. From what I'm told, If you desire the best posible accuracy, then factory Lapua match ammo is the way to go. The Lapua is on the Hot side for velocity if that means anything. I allways loaded at a velocity that would'nt beat up the guns and function reliable. My Pardini SP .22 will easily shoot inside the X-ring at 50 yards on a Bullseye target. My Pardini HP might hold the 10 ring on the same target if the wind is perfectly still. If the wind is blowing a little, then a score of 96 is all I could expect while sandbagging. I used 1.6-1.7 grs of PB in mostly Remmington cases with the Speer hbwc with a Redding profile crimp. Don't expect .22 accuracy or even the accuracy of a bullseye 45, but it should group inside the 10 ring on an International target. I shot higher scores with my model 14 in the precision stage( my only slow fire 100) and use to duel better with my model 52. What brand of pistol are you having trouble with?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement