<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Here I Go Again

November 9 2006 at 1:06 PM
No score for this post
Ken Smith from PA  (no login)

I shot a PPC 600 match a week ago with my stock Glock 21 and was very happy with a 596. Granted it wasn't the National Match Course from 50 yards but it was still fun none the less. I'm bringing out of the Funny Gun (Custom 686) for 2007 and I'll be chasing that Master Class card once again.

I started shooting 1500 matches 10 years ago and I'm still stuck in the Expert Class. Part of my problem is trying different guns and dealing with frustration. Like the time I saw guys using this cool looking PPC9 that I had to have for myself. I knew that if I had that gun I'd be able to make Master Class. I couldn't wait for it to arrive. I soon learned that the PPC9 (5") was a very unforgiving gun for me. Perfectly capable of 1500/1500 as proven by the Champions, but in my hands dropped me from Expert scores to Sharpshooter scores. It wasn't long until frustration set in. Nothing like spending tons of money on a new gun, reloading equipment and more expensive bullets only to watch my scores tank. An arm injury then took me out of competition for a while and I've only been playing around since.

Just for fun I pulled the 686 back out the other day and shot some Match 4 relays. The smoke, the smell of the burning lube, and the sight of light shinning through gapping holes in the 10 ring after my first string of 12 shots brought back great memories.

The PPC9 is now a safe queen in another guys safe. The funny gun is out, the Dillon is converted to .38, and Precision Delta with their sweet southern hospitality (and some of my money) are sending me thousands of HBWCs. I'm diving into this awesome sport once again. Thanks to Bob Dziak and all the guys that run the Lebanon PA matches.

This forum is way under used folks. Lets here your PPC stories and thoughts. I'll have to tell you the story of my first PPC match next time and how I got hooked.

Gook Luck, Ken

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
DOUG
(no login)

COOLEST SPORT AROUND

No score for this post
November 10 2006, 12:15 AM 

I'VE ONLY BEEN SHOOTING PPC FOR 2YRS NOW BUT IT IS THE COOLEST SPORT AROUND. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BEAT ANYONE TO GET EXCITED. SHOOTING A MASTER SCORE IN PRACTICE WITH NOBODY AROUND IS PRETTY DARN COOL.
WE'VE BEEN LUCKY TO GET SUPPORT FROM THE BRASS. SOME GUYS DON'T.
AND YOU ARE RIGHT, THIS SITE DOESN'T GET USED ENOUGH.

LATER

Joeygun
(Login Joeygun)

Here I go Again...he says

No score for this post
November 11 2006, 4:36 AM 

I am the guy who bought Ken's PPC 9. I allowed it to become a "safe queen" and he has not let me forget it. I went to Lebanon last week and since then I've pulled the PPC 9 back out and changed my Dillon over to 9mm. We'll be at the Icicle Match freezing and shooting in January. Good luck to all you guys.

Ken Smith from PA
(no login)

Practice Time

No score for this post
November 11 2006, 9:08 AM 

Since I'm not one of the lucky ones that is sponsored by my Dept and provided Ammo for PPC, I'm in the process of planning my budget for 2007 PPC. I'm looking at 10,000 rounds this year toward my quest for Master.

I figure two practice days a week with 66 rounds per session. 210 rounds per month in competition. 1500 & 600 Matches. This puts me at roughly 8800 rounds per year. I think I'll round up to an even 10,000 this year and see where that gets me.

My practice sessions will consist of the following:

-12 Rounds in 20 Seconds @ 15 Yards (Match 1 Practice)
-18 Rounds in 90 Seconds @ 25 Yards (Match 2 Practice)
-24 Rounds in 2min 45 sec @ 50 Yards (Match 3 Practice)
-Two strings of 6 Rounds in 12 Seconds (Match 4 & 5 Practice)

Total 66 Rounds fired. Add some weak hand only drills at 25 and 50.
I'm hoping it gets me at least one Master Score on the books this year...time will tell.

Anyone have any better ideas for practice on a budget? Want to share your practice and round count per year? I love to hear from the shooters that go through 20,000 plus rounds a year. Must be nice. Maybe one day when the kids are grown and the mortgage is paid off I can do that too. I love the look on some cops faces when they hear how much top competitors shoot. People I work with (Except Joey) shoot on average of 200 rounds a year.

ppc ken
(no login)

Re: Practice Time

No score for this post
November 11 2006, 1:05 PM 

Good luck on attaining Master with that little practice - you must be a very good shot!! I have found the best results from following the advice of an old High Master - practice live fire at 50 yards and dry fire the rest at home. Shooting only at 15 yards is difficult (for me at least) when I have not made a nice hole (ie aiming point) at 7 yards first. Then before the match go through only the tough stuff. If you can hit well LH/RH barricade at 50, it will be easy at 25, therefore not much practice is needed. Finally, practice your trigger squeeze (especially against a blank wall) as much as possible. IMHO trigger squeeze is much more important that sight alignment. Good luck, ken

Ken Smith from PA
(no login)

Re: Practice Time

No score for this post
November 11 2006, 4:59 PM 

I'd love to be able to shoot more. I'm not a great shot, I'm still stuck in expert. After this coming year I'll prolly realize that to make Master I need to shoot a LOT more.

I always seem to find a way of screwing up a good score during a match. I'm looking at results from a revolver match back in 2000 where my 1500 scores were 239/179/(210)/238/584=1450. I flubbed match 3 with that 210, otherwise I could have been nipping at the heels of Master Class. Looking at past scores I've shot Master Class if I combined all my personal best scores per match. That tells me I'm close, but need to put it all together for a complete 1500 match. Stay focused.

I shot match 3 today in a quick practice session on my way into town. I forgot my ground mat so I just alternated right and left hand standing barricade at the 50. 12 shots from each hand. I shot a 228-8x. I was happy with this, hoping to pick up a few points from prone and sitting. I need to get to dropping less than 10 in match 3 practice. Match pressure always causes me to loose more points compared to practice sessions.

DOUG
(no login)

PRACTICE

No score for this post
November 16 2006, 11:47 PM 

ANOTHER WISE OLD HIGH MASTER WHO MADE THE 1490 CLUB IN 1978 TOLD ME TWO THINGS WHEN I STARTED. I DID ADHERE TO ONE THEM BUT NOT THE OTHER. HE SAID TO CONTINUE SHOOTING A 6" STOCK REVOLVER UNTIL I COULD SHOOT 1450 WITH IT, THEN START USING A BULL GUN IF AVAILABLE. BUT MORE IMPORTANTLY, HE TOLD ME NOT TO WASTE AMMO AT THE 50 UNTIL I COULD CLEAN THE 25. HE PROPOSED THAT IF YOU HAVEN'T COMPLETELY GRASPED THE FUNDAMENTALS OF MARKSMANSHIP YOU COULDN'T CLEAN THE 25 AND IF YOU COULDN'T DO THAT THERE WERE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS FOR YOU TO BE DOING THAN SHOOTING A BUNCH OF 226'S AT THE 50 YD LINE. GOOD LUCK AND GOOD SHOOTING!!

Ken Smith from PA
(no login)

Re: PRACTICE

No score for this post
November 17 2006, 8:12 AM 

The only time I think ammo is wasted at any yard line is if the shooter is not willing to look at his results and learn from them. I don't think it matters what yard line you shoot at, just that you are on the range to practice. Practice makes perfect, if perfect practice.

I wonder how many new shooters who only shot a 600 match shooting from the 25 yard line never stepped up to shoot a 1500 because they felt they weren't good enough to try a 1500 since they hadn't mastered the short line yet. Sorry, but that's hogwash for me. I understand the concept, but disagree that you can't learn marksmenship from the 50. Heck, I learned more from the 50 than I ever did at the 25. In fact, I'd put that theory in reverse. I'd suggest learning marksmenship from the 50 and watch the 25 yard scores to go up!

DOUG
(no login)

CLEAN

No score for this post
November 18 2006, 12:43 AM 

WHEN YOU START A NEW SHOOTER, DO YOU START HIM AT THE 25? NO YOU DON'T. IF YOU CAN'T CLEAN THE 7YD LINE WHY TRY TO CLEAN THE 15. IT IS A WASTE OF AMMO. YOU HAVE TO CRAWL BEFORE YOU CAN WALK!

Ken Smith from PA
(no login)

Re: CLEAN

No score for this post
November 18 2006, 4:12 PM 

Crawl/ Walk/ Run

I understand the concept. I agree that it is a useful tool when training new shooters. I start to disagree when I hear the statements of "cleaning" the 25 yard line before moving to the 50.

To say that one should be able to "clean" the 25 yard line before shooting at the 50 is a very discouraging statement to many Sharpshooters, Marksmen and Classified shooters who are trying to work their way to the top. While these shooters may have never fired a 180/180 Match 2 from 25 yards, they can still learn a lot about the Fundamentals of Marksmenship from the 50 yard line. Wasting ammo, IMHO, is shooting without a purpose. Shooting (from any distance), followed by reviewing your score, and searching within yourself for the mistake(s)you made is what I call learning. I try to learn from every round fired, regardless of what distance it was fired from.

I'm looking at a score sheet from a NRA Approve PPC Match last month. In the 1500 match there were shooters representing classifications from High Master, Master, Expert, Sharpshooter, Classified and Unclassified. How many 180/180 scores were there for Match 2 of the 1500 from the 25 yard line? ZERO. Best score on this day was 179-14 X by a Master class shooter.

I say shoot as often as possible, study, evaluate, learn, then shoot some more. See ya on the 50 yard line.

Ken

DOUG
(no login)

REALITY

No score for this post
November 19 2006, 12:43 AM 

WHAT I'M TRYING TO SAY IS THAT A GUY WHO CONSISTENTLY SHOOTS BELOW 170-172 IN MATCH 2 HAS ISSUES THAT NEED TO BE ADDRESSED BEFORE WORRYING ABOUT SHOOTING MATCH 3. IF HE CAN GET HIS MATCH 2 UP CONSISTENTLY TO 177-179 HE WILL AUTOMATICALLY RAISE HIS MATCH 3 SCORES. IN ESSENCE, IF HE IMPROVES AT THE SHORT LINE HIS 50YD WILL ALSO IMPROVE AS A RESULT OF THE IMPROVED FUNDAMENTALS.

DOUG
(no login)

IMPORTANT THINGS

No score for this post
November 19 2006, 12:54 AM 

AFTER WRITING MY LAST RESPONSE, I READ ALL THE MESSAGES POSTED AND CAME TO A REALIZATION. THE IMPORTANT THING IS THAT WE HAVE A LOVE FOR THE SPORT AND A RESPECT FOR THE FUNDAMENTALS OF MARKSMANSHIP. I'M GLAD WE HAVE A FORUM TO HAVE DISCUSS THESE THINGS. GOOD SHOOTING!!

Ken Smith from PA
(no login)

Agreed

No score for this post
November 19 2006, 4:59 PM 

Agreed. Nice Debate.

PPC ken
(no login)

Re: Agreed

No score for this post
November 20 2006, 11:13 AM 

Well Ken, you were "complaining" about the lack of use of this site - sure looks like you have started the ball rolling !! Now let's continue with stuff like reloading, breathing, controlling/adjusting to different lighting conditions, etc. Also, how about places to shoot and local matches that many PPC shooters would not be aware of because they get little to no advance publicity. Be safe and keep shooting - PPC Ken

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

Re: Agreed

No score for this post
January 24 2014, 7:02 PM 

Bump

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement