<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

PPC 9 at the range today

November 14 2006 at 5:39 PM
No score for this post
Joeygun  (Login Joeygun)

Well, I shot the PPC 9 (safe queen as Ken called it) today at the local Fish and Game. I fired off some 147 grain truncated cone FMJ's that Ken had purchased from Widener a long time ago. I think they are called target masters or something like that. I loaded them with 4.0 and 4.2 of Wincheter Super Field. They both held the ten ring at 25 yards from a sandbag. I also had one group that would have been all x-ring at 25. Not the greatest I know but not bad for starting out. I got a box of Zero 147 grain hollow points in the mail yesterday and I am gonna load them tonight. Safe queen huh...wait til I get a hold of that guy....Cheers, Joeygun

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
DOUG
(no login)

No score for this post
November 17 2006, 12:06 AM 

IN TALKING TO THE SMITH AND WESSON PERFORMANCE CENTER GUYS AT NATIONALS THIS YEAR, THEY PRETTY MUCH ADVISED ME THAT PRECISION DELTA 115 GRAIN BULLETS SEEM TO GROUP BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE THEY CAN FIND. POST AGAIN AND LET ME KNOW HOW YOU LIKE THE GUN AFTER SHOOTING IT SOME MORE. GOOD LUCK!!

Joeygun
(Login Joeygun)

PPC 9 at range today

No score for this post
November 17 2006, 1:25 PM 

Doug, I just loaded some more Zero 147's. I loaded them at 4.0, 3.7, and 3.5 of Winchester Superfield. I have enough to easily shoot three 5-shot strings with each. I would like to see some improvement here, but won't be able to shoot until possibly Sunday.

I may end up trying 115's in the near future...but for economics I'd love to get a decent load with the 147's to use them up. BTW, my test target was with 105's...ughhh.

What is the lightest powder charge that you've (or anyone who wants to chime in please) seen make a PPC 9 function properly?
Thanks, Joe

PPC ken
(no login)

Re: PPC 9 at range today

No score for this post
November 20 2006, 11:25 AM 

I have a Bob Marvel Caspian framed 9mm. The Percision Delta bullets are Hornady 115gr XTP's. I used to shoot those, but for economics, I went to buying Hornady 121gr HAP bullets in bulk - much cheaper than XTPs and the gun will still shoot 1" groups at 50 off a Ransom Rest. SERIOUSLY - the gun will do that - I can't. Anyway here is the rest - 121gr HAP, 4.1gr of #231 (or 4.6gr of VV N330), Fed 100 primer (or CCI 500), COL 1.080", crimp .374", Starline brass. I needed to put a 9# recoil spring in the gun for proper functioning with this load. PPC ken

Joeygun
(Login Joeygun)

PPC 9 at the range

No score for this post
January 27 2007, 1:04 PM 

I went out yesterday with the PPC 9..it was about 19 degrees and windy...brrr

I shot 3.5 grains, 3.7 grains, and 4.0 grains of WSF with a 147 gr JHP from Zero. The 3.5 and 3.7 loads both had two malfunctions...not enough ummphhh I suppose. I will be looking into a lighter recoil spring because the 3.5's were like shooting a .22. The 4.0 did very well, my best group was on the right side barricade-standing-supported. I had two in the x-ring, three in the 10 ring, and one flyer, and this was all in a group....the flyer was me I am sure and it was cold. I think this will be my starting load, after I shoot up all the Zero's I'll try VV powder and 115 grain bullets, and Meisters, like others have recommended.

Cheers, Joeygun

DOUG
(no login)

tough

No score for this post
January 28 2007, 12:49 AM 

YOU ARE TOUGHER THAN ME.

19 DEGREES, THE ONLY THING I'D BE SHOOTING IS A DEER OUT OF MY HEATED BOX STAND OR A FEW WHISKEYS.

SHOOT WELL!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement