<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

50 Yard Help

November 16 2006 at 7:17 PM
No score for this post
Ken Smith from PA  (no login)

I've been hitting between 224-231 practice scores for Match 3 at the 50. I want consistant 230-235 scores. Any Masters or High Masters have any advise or remember what finally broke you into this range or better?

I think most of my problem is that my neck hold is becoming a face hold before if get off all six rounds. I seem to be missing most high but when I sight in (no time limit standing barricade) I can hit the X. How often should I be checking my sight picture from the 50 VS concentrating on only front sight?

Thanks
Ken

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
PPC Ken
(no login)

Re: 50 Yard Help

No score for this post
November 20 2006, 11:18 AM 

The response to this message could get long, but is easier if you review or get John Pride's video "Winning PPC". It is still available (and John sure doesn't look like this anymore), but full of very useful info - especially his comments on shooting at 50.

Ken Smith from PA
(no login)

No score for this post
November 20 2006, 5:00 PM 

I remember seeing and wanting that video years ago. Great idea. The wife just asked me last night what I wanted for Christmas. Now I have something to tell her. She didn't seem to like my first request. STI Targetmaster 6" 9mm. I think she'll go for the video.

DOUG
(no login)

VIDEO

No score for this post
November 23 2006, 12:36 AM 

WHERE CAN I GET THE VIDEO? IF ANYONE KNOWS, POST IT. MY WIFE IS ALSO ASKING THE CHRISTMAS PRESENT QUESTIONS.

OC COP
(no login)

Winning PPC with John Pride

No score for this post
April 11 2007, 11:11 PM 

Well, you guys had to make me do it. Up in the attic I went in search of the very VHS tape you are asking about. Could not find it this morning but knew it was up there in storage somewhere. I found it tonight. OK, "Winning PPC with Grand Master John Pride" Produced by Lenny Magill in 1988. I had to watch it! Getting ready for the South Carolina Regional. Anyway the tape is almost 20 years old and I saw John at Nationals in 2004. Time changes us all. He is still one tremendous shot even if Hemphill continues to dominate Nationals, now on three different National range sights.

Here is the address listed on the tape. God only knows if it is still good. I did not want to call the number in case it went to some elderly lady's home in San Diego. Mail Order Video, 7888 Ostrow Street #A, San Diego, CA 92111, 800-942-8273, 619-569-4000. Lenny Magill Productions. I have no idea if the business is still operating or not.

I did check Ebay tonight and there were no listings. I think I have seen the tape listed on Gunbroker.com a few years back so you might give that a shot. Good luck in your search. I am not ready to give mine up.

Mike
(no login)

Pride's Video

No score for this post
April 13 2007, 5:29 PM 

I have seen Pride's video on ebay several times. I
don't see one up there now, but if you check once in a while, you'll find one. Of course, you'll have to pull your VCR out of the trash! If I see one on ebay, I'll post a message.

OC COP
(no login)

www.gunvideo.com

No score for this post
April 19 2007, 11:04 PM 

I knew I would find it after some searching. PPC with John Pride is still out there but now in DVD. $34.95. No more VHS unless you pick it up used. The DVD can be found at http://gunvideo.com/index/81/ bottom of page 2 (competition handgun section.) See you at an east coast PPC Regional real soon. Enjoy

Hank
(Login WetHammer)

Re: VIDEO

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 9:01 PM 

High Master PPC 50
(no login)

The truth

No score for this post
May 25 2007, 3:28 PM 

I shot in the South Carolina Regional two weeks ago. During the two 1500's and the two teams I fired the 50 yard line six times. I shot a one down, 4 two downs and a three down. I have fired 5 perfect 600's in match 5 and several 240 match four's in competition during my 30 year career. I say this not to brag, but so you will know that I speak from experience and not opinion.
There are two things that are critical at the 50 yd line; sight alignment and trigger movement. Don't worry so much about what your sight picture is, because your sights can move about 6" up and down without being out of the 10 ring. When you look at your sights pay particular attention to the flat line formed by the top of the front sight and the tops of the rear sight. If you concentrate on this flat line, the front sight will natually center itself in the rear sight notch.
The truth is that most shooters do this just fine. The real difference between good 25 yard shooters and good 50 yard shooters is in what they do with the trigger. Most shooters align the sights by stopping the trigger or slowing it down drastically just before firing to make sure that they have perfect sight alignment. Remember the laws of physics; IT IS EASIER TO KEEP SOMETHING IN MOTION THAN IT IS TO BEGIN TO MOVE AN OBJECT THAT IS AT REST. Keeping the trigger in motion is the surest way to maintain the sight alignment that you struggled to achieve. Keeping the trigger moving is the most critical operation in shooting good 50 yard targets. If I could bold it, underline it and put it in a larger font, I would still no be giving it enough credit. Forget everything else, mentally focus on the flat sight line and keep the trigger moving and I promise you your 50's will soon get better.

PPC Ken
(no login)

For PPC Master

No score for this post
May 26 2007, 3:13 PM 

Great advice for Ken Smith. This is what I was hoping this website would have more of rather than a place to buy/sell stuff. Anyway, just got back from a PPC match in KC where I tried your suggestions for shooting at 50. Yeah I know, never try anything new in a match - but what the heck - no guts no glory! I think it helps and I will practice it much more in the coming weeks. What I am really writing about today is - any ideas/advice on shooting the "Quick 6" at the end of the match? I always seem to drop points here, and today some of those were an "8"! Do you use center hold? Do you use neck hold? Thanks for the advice. I hope this message finds you. ken

Gravity
(Login policepistol)
Owner

Re: For PPC Master

No score for this post
May 26 2007, 9:39 PM 

This is the type of post I started and intended this forum for.
Good replies guys.
Personally I was having trouble at the 50 also.
I switched to a center hold and I increased my points dramatically.
That worked for me though. Each perosn is different. I use neck for my 25.

This message has been edited by policepistol on May 26, 2007 9:39 PM

doug
(no login)

Amen

No score for this post
May 27 2007, 12:34 AM 

I have been telling cadets at the police academy for years the definition of trigger control (continuous pressure straight to the rear until the gun fires). But I remember when I first started shooting a revolver, I thought it was really cool that I could snatch the trigger back to the second click then ease it on back to fire. A very wise HighMaster named Bobby Reed taught me that once the trigger starts to the rear it should continue to the rear without stopping or hesitation. As hard headed as I was, I could see that Bobby had become a Highmaster back in the 70's and could still shoot the pants off alot of the young whippersnappers today. You can have the perfect (grip, stance, sight alignment, and sight picture) but you have to pull the trigger in a manner as not to disturb all that cool stuff you've done. One deliberate continuous movement is the only way to do it. Highmaster ppc50 speaks profoundly. Message heard, accepted and hopefully practiced.

AMEN

PPCKen
(no login)

Re: Amen

No score for this post
June 18 2007, 11:24 AM 

This is for HIGH MASTER PPC 50 - I do not know who you are, but next time you are in the KC area I owe you a beer/coke/ice tea or whatever! I have always been watching my sights by trying to keep an equal amount of white on both sides of the front sight - then I tried your method of keeping (watching) the alignment of the front sight level with the rear. I have been practicing your method almost exclusively at 50 yards for the past three weeks or so. Last Saturday I shot a 237 in match #3 [a personal high]and a 293 in match #5b (due mainly to 2 x 8's in the quick six - like I've said elsewhere in this post - the quick 6 just seems to bite me in most matches!!) So, thanks alot for your advice. It is well received and appreciated. ken

Mike
(no login)

quick 6

No score for this post
June 19 2007, 1:26 PM 

The hardest part about the quick 6 is remembering to switch your sights back to 25 yards.

www.vtppc.com

Unregistered Member
(Login x-cop)

50 Yard help

No score for this post
June 5 2014, 11:36 AM 

I read thru these posts again and couldnt resist noting that what High Master PPC 50 advised is something one our good shooters used to preach back in the 70's. This guy physically was not the epitomy of the classic PPC shooter(anyone who knew him-Jimmy VanCoutren-The Bear))would agree, but could and did outshoot just about everyone in our group most of the time. Wherever he is I am sure he is rolling around laughing at me writing this. But, this is what we preach to any new shooter(so little of them anymore.) Excellent advice for those who still shoot and will shoot a dying discipline.
The tactical shooting shooting is great for the street application, but you still need that "base" to be able to put that shot where you want to. My personal experience is that "some" of the best tactical shooters are the worst shooters when it comes to accuracy. If they had to qualify past the 15 yard line would fall on their faces. And I am sure that many of you who read the posts on this site will agree that shooting is a very perishable activity,practice, practice and then practice some more. With ammo and components and support from your department so hard to get it has become harder and harder to do this unfortunately. You dont need ammo to practice all the time,they call it "dry fire". Prob preaching to the choir here.

gary hutchison
(Login garytja87)

Mr. Right

No score for this post
September 17 2016, 3:25 PM 

I have competed in PPC for 38 years and I wouldn't have had to read PPC HighMaster50s past accomplishments to know that he was a good shooter. I simply read his message. It was simple, straight forward and absolutely correct !!!!!!!

Hank
(Login WetHammer)

No score for this post
June 21 2007, 9:00 PM 

Check here at Midway. It'll be backordered but this is the cheapest for John Pride's PPC Video.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eclearance.exe/browse?promotionid=20412&brandid=1977

ppcmaster
(no login)

50yd shooting

No score for this post
July 3 2007, 11:58 AM 

Hello Everyone,
Great post I must add and fantastic advice from High master. Just have to add another question. This is in fact great for the revovler but what about the Auto? AHve a great holiday everyone.

Bob
(Login k9andro)

No score for this post
October 29 2007, 9:02 PM 

The trick with me was to shoot a perfect score with a 2 1/2" barrel. Once I mastered that, using my match gun was a piece of cake. Doesn't matter where on the target you aim, but pick one and stay with it.

Robert

Doug
(no login)

what?

No score for this post
October 29 2007, 9:49 PM 

A 240 in match 3 with a 2 1/2" barrel? That's impressive. The problem we are having is shooting 235 with a bull gun. Any advice would be appreciated.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement