<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

DAO or Double/Single Action?

November 20 2006 at 7:55 PM
No score for this post
Ken Smith from PA  (no login)

I just sent off a 586 to Clark Custom Guns to build new PPC revolver. I have all my equipment set up for L-Frame so I think I'll stay that way.

Back when I had my first (and only) PPC custom revolver made, I had the gunsmith bob the hammer and make it double action only. Why? I didn't know, it looked cool and thats what he suggested. At the time I had never shot a 1500 match. Heck, I didn't think they allowed you on the line with a stock gun. So I've been shooting DAO in PPC for a while now. When I called Clark about my new gun I found that they keep the single action function when working the trigger action. They could make it DAO if I wanted, but according to them it wouldn't change the smoothness of their work either way. I decided to keep the single action.

This made me think. What do the rest of you folks shoot at the 50 yard line? Single Action? or Double Action? Even though I shoot double action at the 50, its not the same double action that I shoot in the faster stages. I find that at the 50 I'm indexing the cylinder, holding, then checking my front sight before I fire the shot. My current gun has a little more creep in this DAO mode than would a standard single action pull. I wonder how I'll do with a straight single action pull.

Comments?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
PPC ken
(no login)

Re: DAO or Double/Single Action?

No score for this post
November 21 2006, 1:35 PM 

DAO has a quicker lock time than single action. Yes, single action is nice at 50, BUT not worth the time to cock it with your off hand and then re-acquire your grip. Besides, make the 50 your friend - plenty of time, all supported positions, and a much finer aim point than at 25 yards. I find it best to just settle into position and after the sights are aligned and pointed more or less where I would like the bullet to go, to just use one steady squeeze with no starts or stops. I am still trying to "let the gun go off, rather than making it go off". Darn wobble!! Once I made a friend of 50 yards, I get kinda tickled listening to fellow shooters moan and groan about how far away it is and how small the target is. I know that I have beaten them already, because they have just beaten themselves! No I have never "cleaned" the 50, but I also never "cleaned" everything at 25 either. Good luck and good shooting.

Ken Smith from PA
(no login)

Re: DAO or Double/Single Action?

No score for this post
November 22 2006, 5:20 PM 

Good pointers for the 50 there ppcken.

I shot three practice rounds of Match 3 at the 50 yesterday and two more rounds of Match 3 today. I'm getting more consistant but the scores aren't moving up. I guess not going from a 230 down to a 219 is good for now. Past two days the scores have been 225-231 range.

The more I shoot at the 50, the more my 25 yard scores have gone up. Today I shot match 4, 12 rounds in 35 seconds then repeated fora total of 24 rounds, no support from 25 yards. I shot a 238/240. Thats a personal best and after concentrating so much at the 50 it almost felt easy. I hope that sticks around.

Next practice session is to work on the sitting stage at 50. My breathing has been getting all out of wack and I'm taking too much time in this position causing me to rush through prone and right hand barricade to recover the lost time.

DOUG
(no login)

TRIGGER

No score for this post
November 23 2006, 12:55 AM 

REGARDING TRIGGER CONTROL THAT IS WONDERFUL ADVICE. FOR YEARS, I ALWAYS STAGED THE TRIGGER TO THE REAR THEN FINISHED THE DEED. THE BEST THING THAT I EVER STUMBLED ONTO WAS TO CONTINUE THE TRIGGER TO THE REAR ONCE I STARTED IT MOVING WITHOUT ANY HESITATION OR STOPPING. DOING SO REALLY IMPROVED MY SCORES. NOT THAT THEY'RE THAT GOOD, BUT THAT DID MAKE THEM BETTER.

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

Re: TRIGGER

Score 1.0 (1 person)
January 9 2014, 7:00 PM 

Good info

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement