<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

ppc 9 vs. S&W 952

November 22 2006 at 4:30 AM
No score for this post
Jerry  (Login jerrylaw)

I just started getting into PPC matches. My service gun doesnt cut it anymore. Im having alot of trouble finding a S&W PPC9 (local dealers have no clue what im talking about). S&W web site shows the 952 long slide. Does anyone know the difference or shot both. Any info would help. Thanks Jerry

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ken Smith from PA
(no login)

Re: ppc 9 vs. S&W 952

No score for this post
November 22 2006, 5:36 AM 

The PPC9 is a Performance Center Custom gun availible to law enforcement only. You have to send them proof that you are LEO and order a gun. They will then let you know when it's finished and ask for a signed copy of a FFL where they can ship the gun so it can be tranfered to you.

The 952 (I never had one) is a single stack magazine vs the double stack mag of the PPC9. The 952 does NOT have a tri-set rear sight like the PPC9. The tri-set sight allows the shooter to have three sight settings, close up and 50 yards, already dialed in. During a match the shooter simply makes one click and they are ready to shoot different yardages rather than trying to remember clicks and counting clicks.

There are other options to look into that have the Tri-Set sight in semi-auto guns. STI makes a Target Master 6" 1911 pistol with the Tri-Set. Then there is Les Baer and Rock River that also have PPC 5" and PPC 6" guns custom made for PPC but they are more expensive.

I'll be trying a 6" STI Target Master at some time in the future. I here they are very accurate and they are much cheaper than the custom made Les Baer and Rock River guns. I'm not into the whole Distinguished Awards Program where you need a 5" gun. I just shoot 1500 matches where the 6" is allowed.

Of course you could always have any gun customized by ordering parts from Brownell and having a good gunsmith tune up a stock 1911.

jerry
(Login jerrylaw)

No score for this post
November 22 2006, 5:43 AM 

PERFECT!!!!!!!!! Thank you very much!!!

joe
(no login)

No score for this post
November 24 2006, 5:14 PM 

Jerry,
I have owned both guns and they are both extremely well made and accurate.The 952 will fit a person with smaller hands or short fingers better because it is a single stack.I went police distinguished in a little over 2 years with my ppc 9 shooting average 580 scores and a personal best 587 on one attempt.
It never fit my hand well and I sold it a short time after going distinguished.I have a tall front sight on my 952 and can neck hold it at 25 and 50 yards.Both of these guns are reliable never jamming.I use federal hydrashock 147 grain loads and the guns will x ring group at 50 yards off of sandbags.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement