<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Barrel leading

July 10 2007 at 5:06 PM
No score for this post
Ignatz  (no login)

Hi, I just picked up a used PPC revolver (S&W 10-6). Its a 6 incher with slab sides and a Bo-Mar rib. The barrel is heavily leaded and I cleaned it with a brush, but its still heavily leaded. Should I keep cleaning it or shoot some jacketed ammo thru it to clean it out? No one's name is on the gun, except the #004B or maybe 00AB. If its the latter, I wonder if Austin Behlert built it. I'm about 50 miles from his old shop. thanks Rob

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Anonymous
(Login policepistol)
Owner

Re: Barrel leading

No score for this post
July 11 2007, 10:20 PM 

One of my favorite quick & easy posts from http://www.1911forum.com

Lead Removal From Barrels
I wanted to post the best way I have found to remove lead build-up from my firearm barrels for our newer members to the 1911 Family. I am EXTREMELY meticulous about cleaning my firearms and I have honestly tried almost every product you could name. I have spent a lot of money and time over the years and this is what I have found to honestly work the best. I know a lot of us reload for the .45 and those reloads are more than likely lead for cost reasons or SWC bullseye shooting. The best way I have personally found to remove lead from your barrel is this.
Go to Wal-Mart/Kmart and pick up a package of Chore-Boy copper mesh cleaning pads. They are quite cheap. You will want to cut a square piece of one of the pads and wrap it around one of your nylon bore brushes. I have seen people state that you should then use Hoppes or a similiar product on the Chore Boy patch. I have found that keeping the patch and barrel dry works the best. Then simply run the Chore-Boy patch in and out of the barrel and you will have lead chunks/slivers coming out. The copper mesh is very soft and it WILL NOT scratch your barrel. Your barrel is harder than that.
Repeat this until you are satisfied that all the lead is out. Then clean the barrel with the cleaner of your choice such as Hoppes/Breakfree CLP/Outers etc.
As I stated above I have tried almost every cleaner/method and I have found this to work the best on my barrels.

ppcmaster
(no login)

Leading

No score for this post
July 12 2007, 11:27 AM 

Hello there,
Your best bet to get all the lead out is Outers Foul Out. This is the best product I have ever used, it will emove lead you can't even see. Also NO elbow grease!! I't like reverse electro plating. I have used it for years and it's THE BEST!

Pete Venturella
(no login)

Barrel Leading

No score for this post
August 9 2007, 8:48 AM 

You might consider picking up a Lewis Lead Revover kit.

It works well and is not too expensive.

Pete

Pete Venturella
(no login)

Barrel Leading

No score for this post
August 9 2007, 8:49 AM 

You might consider picking up a Lewis Lead Revover kit.

It works well and is not too expensive.

Pete

Bob
(Login k9andro)

leading

No score for this post
October 29 2007, 8:54 PM 

I found that after you get the Lead out ALWAYS use "Tri-flow" with teflon. Use this to clean and lube your gun after that and the lead stops sticking to the barrel. I have shot thousands of rounds thru my match gun and it has always stayed clean with this.

Robert

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

Re: leading

No score for this post
January 21 2016, 9:31 PM 

Bumped

JB
(Login x-cop)

Barrel leading

No score for this post
January 22 2016, 11:20 AM 

Chore Boy(copper)and Kroil or Trans fluid or Eds Red mix. Go slow until clean. Just a suggestion.

JR Chapman
(Login jamesrchapman)

No score for this post
January 25 2016, 5:13 PM 

+1 for chore boy, but, make sure it's the copper chore boy and not a copper plated steel pad from someone else!

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

No score for this post
March 20 2016, 12:32 AM 

Bump

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement