<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Getting Started in Texas

September 1 2007 at 3:18 AM
No score for this post
jenrick  (Login jenrick)

First off great board. Secondly does anyone know of any PPC matches in Texas, specifically the central texas Austin area? I've recently become interested in PPC as a way to improve my revolver skills (and lets face it, if you can shot a revolver DA then anything else is cake). I've been trying to shoot the PPC course on my own, but I'm sure I'm screwing something up somewhere, and the course I've got is from the late 60's and I know it has changed since then. So getting out to an organised match would be great.

Onto the gear, if anyone has any suggestions for a beginner please share them. I've got a S&W model 15 4" and a S&W model 19 6", 4 Safariland comp II speed loaders and a double speed loader pouch. I've got one pair of Hogue monogrips that I swap around between pistols, and target stocks on them otherwise. I tend to point and shoot (in SA) the 19 better, probably due to the extra barrel weight, but the model 15 is much more broken in and I shoot it a better in DA. Which pistol would you guys recomend? Do I need more speedloaders?

What reducded sized targets correspond to what range and what distance (ie. 50% targets at 15 yds = 50 yd target, etc)? Also is the B-27 the correct target, a lot of the historical manuals and the like I have show the venerable K-2. I'd like to be able to get/make a set of reduced targets to dry fire the 1500 in my home.

Any training tips, tips on positional shooting, dealing with a revolver?

Thanks in advance,

-Jenrick

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Doug
(no login)

Re: Getting Started in Texas

No score for this post
September 2 2007, 12:34 AM 

I'm glad you are shooting PPC. It is possibly the greatest test of handgun fundamentals around. The questions you have are very good ones and I hope you get good answers via this website. My opinion is that the 6" gun would be the best option because of the longer sight radius. The 6" gun will also help sight reaquisition on the rapid fire stages. Even if you leave the stock sights, you would really benefit from blackening the sights with either a sight black spray or a carbide smoker. I am a little worried about shooting single action. I've shot PPC all over the place with alot of different people and very very few if any of the top shooters shoot single action. Just something to think about. Buy more speedloaders if you can and try the safariland comp III type, they are cool.

The course and the ppc rule book can found at nra.org
The b-27 is the target used but I don't know anything about which reduction targets to use.
Get the local number for your Texas Highway Patrol and find an old crusty trooper named Odie Hitt. He is a highmaster and has been shooting forever. He's really not that old and not that crusty. Well maybe he is a little crusty, but he's definitely one of the good guys. He may be able to help you find matches close to you. He knows everybody.

Keep shooting and keep that double action trigger coming to the rear without stopping or hesitating. If you can do that everything will get better, I promise.

GOOD LUCK and keep us posted on your progress.

Jim
(Login bglz42)

PPC in Texas

No score for this post
September 2 2007, 8:39 AM 

We have a monthly PPC match at PSC Shooting club near Alvin, Tx. It's pretty informal, and we shoot the Distinguished only, but it's a great way to learn the fundamentals. Go to

http://www.psc-range.com/

for all the scoop.

Use the six inch, all DA, and dryfire the entire course incessantly. You'll do great!

Jim
bglz42@yahoo.com

Jenrick
(Login jenrick)

Re: PPC in Texas

No score for this post
September 2 2007, 1:28 PM 

Appreciate the response Doug. I'm looking into carbide smokers right now, probably will get one in a while after I've shot a few matches and had a chance to talk to folks to see what works well. I'll probably just use the sprays for the moment.

I'll look into the comp III, the local cop shop carries comp II's so that's why I've got them.

Tried to find the rules on online, but they weren't currently posted. If someone wouldn't mind posting just a brake down on the yardages and required postions that'd be enough to get me going in the right direction on my practice. Thanks for the confirmation on the B-27, I'll just use Target Express to scale the sucker to the right sizes, that makes it easy.

Odie Hitt, you wouldn't happen to know the area he works out of? I haven't heard the name mentioned before with the troopers I know or have worked with in the past. I'll defineately try and look him up.

Jim, appreciate the invite out to Alvin, as I'm in Austin that's a bit of a drive. If I'm ever out that way though I'll look you guys up.

To everybody: Why exactly do most folks shoot DA instead of SA? I know that originally the PPC was based on "combat shooting" and that a lot of folks pushed for DA fire as more realistic. Is there a technical advantage to shooting DA all the time?

Again thanks for the advice and the help,

-Jenrick

BTW don't suppose anyone needs to get rid of a K-frame holster for a 6" gun...?

Jenrick
(Login jenrick)

Re: PPC in Texas

No score for this post
September 2 2007, 1:33 PM 

Forgot to ask: James what is the Distinguished and how does it differ from the normal PPC?

-Jenrick

DOUG
(no login)

DA IS THE WAY

No score for this post
September 6 2007, 11:20 PM 

WHEN I STARTED SHOOTING PPC A VERY WISE HIGHMASTER GAVE ME THIS EXPLANATION, SO I CAN'T TAKE CREDIT FOR IT, BUT I CAN PASS IT ALONG.
THE LAST 5 PERCENT OF YOUR TRIGGER PULL IS THE MOST IMPORTANT. I'M NOT A PHYSICS MAJOR, BUT I KNOW IT IS EASIER TO KEEP AN OBJECT MOVING THAT IS ALREADY MOVING. IF THAT IS TRUE, IT IS EASIER TO KEEP THE TRIGGER MOVING SMOOTHLY TO THE REAR DURING THAT LAST 5 PERCENT IF YOU ALREADY HAVE IT MOVING VIA DOUBLE ACTION. IF YOU COCK THE WEAPON (WHICH MOVES THE TRIGGER THROUGH THE FIRST 95 PERCENT) THEN YOU HAVE TO START THE TRIGGER MOVING IN THAT CRITICAL 5 PERCENT ZONE WHICH INCREASES YOUR CHANCES OF SCREWING IT UP.
IN ESSENCE, ONCE YOU GET THE TRIGGER MOVING TO THE REAR, DON'T EVER STOP IT'S MOTION. ALLOW IT TO CONTINUE TO THE REAR WITHOUT DISTURBING YOUR SIGHT PICTURE.

AS FOR THE COURSE, HERE IT GOES:
MATCH 1 7YDS-12 RDS-25SEC AND 15YDS-12RDS-25SEC
MATCH 2 25YDS-18RDS-90SEC, 6 KNEELING NO SUPPORT, 6 LEFT BARRICADE, 6 RIGHT BARRICADE
MATCH 3 50YDS-24RDS-2MIN&45SEC, 6 SEATED, 6 PRONE, 6 LEFT BARRICADE, 6 RIGHT BARRICADE
MATCH 4 25YDS-12RDS-35SEC UNSUPPORTED TWICE
MATCH 5 7YDS-12RDS-25SEC, 25YDS-REPEAT MATCH 2, 50YDS-REPEAT MATCH 3, 25YDS-6 RDS-12SEC
MATCH 6 TOTAL SCORE OF MATCHES 1-5

THE DISTINGUISHED MATCH IS MATCH 5 WITH A PRETTY MUCH STOCK REVOLVER, BARREL NO LONGER THAN 6 INCHES AND YOU HAVE TO SHOOT AT LEAST 158 GRAIN SEMI WADCUTTERS OR A PRETTY MUCH STOCK SEMI-AUTO BARREL NO LONGER THAN 5 INCHES. YOU CAN HAVE ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS ON EITHER GUN.

I HOPE THIS HELPS. GOOD LUCK!!

Anonymous
(Login jenrick)

Re: DA IS THE WAY

No score for this post
September 6 2007, 11:46 PM 

Thanks for the explanation on DA, that makes alot of sense actually. I did some digging around on line and found the majority of the "normal" PPC match courses of fire. Just got done dry firing the 1500 for the first time. My trigger finger's a little tired Gonna have to take a dremel to my grips to, I'm finding that they don't work for DA as well as they do for SA.

-Jenrick

PPC Ken
(no login)

Re: DA IS THE WAY

No score for this post
September 7 2007, 9:34 AM 

Think you'll find that the 7 and 15 yard shooting is done in 20 seconds - not 25. Just something to make you work a little harder. BTW, I started shooting PPC at 55 (!!) when I retired and it has become a second "job" for me. I really feel it is the best all around form of the pistol sports and a lot of fun.

DOUG
(no login)

OOPS!!

No score for this post
September 7 2007, 10:19 PM 

12 ROUNDS IN 25 SECONDS?! WHAT A SCREW UP. 20 SECONDS IS DEFINITELY THE DEAL.
PPC KEN, I AGREE WITH YOU COMPLETELY, PPC IS THE POSSIBLY THE BEST TEST OF FUNDAMENTALS OUT THERE. WHERE DO YOU SHOOT? ARE YOU GOING TO NATIONALS? WE GOT THE BRASS TO PAY FOR GAS, LET US TAKE A CRUISER, REIMBURSE US FOR MATCH FEES, MOTEL, AND MEALS. IT'S A GREAT DEAL FOR US. THEY ARE EVEN GOING TO KEEP US ON THE CLOCK WHILE WE ARE THERE. LET ME KNOW IF YALL ARE GOING AND I'LL BUY YOU A COLD ONE.

PPC Ken
(no login)

Re: OOPS!!

No score for this post
September 9 2007, 10:44 AM 

Not going to Nationals - can only watch from afar,as, you see I am a "civilian" and not allowed to mix with the big boys at the big show. I can shoot/compete at almost all other PPC events nationwide, but not the BIG ONE. Shame is that here in KC we (the Pioneer Gun Club)put on two (2!!) PPC matches a month with about 15-20 participants - none of which are LE. We tried hosting NRA sanctioned matches for a couple of years, but almost no LE showed - so it was just not worth it. That's why you do not see us listed in Shooting Sports or the LEAD calendar. I am still hopeful that before I can no longer hold a gun, I will get a chance to go to Nationals. I have met, and enjoyed the company of, numerous LE at the PPC matches and have never felt less than a welcomed competitor. Oh well. If you ever get to the KC area, let me know. Good luck at Nationals - I am sure the trip out/back will be fun. ken

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

Re: OOPS!!

No score for this post
January 24 2014, 7:04 PM 

Bump

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement