<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

9mm Load Recipes

December 29 2007 at 1:31 PM
No score for this post
F. Paul Figlia  (Login FPaul)

Hi gang,

I'm at the point where I would like to start developing a load for a couple of S&W PC guns. One is the 952-2 (long slide) and the other is PPC9.

I've heard that the heavier bullets (147) tend to group better at 50 yards but before I move in any direction I thought I would try to find out what REALLY works. I realize that any proven load may need to be tweaked to a particular gun but I'm hoping you folks can provide a solid starting platform.

Information on any of the recommended load components including primer, powder and cases as well as crimp and OAL specs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

F. Paul Figlia

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
PPC KEN
(no login)

Re: 9mm Load Recipes

No score for this post
December 30 2007, 1:56 PM 

Hi Paul - don't know much about 147 gr. bullets. My Bob Marvel 6" 9mm will shoot (on a ransom rest) 1" groups at 50 with 115gr.Hornady XTP and 121gr. Hornady HAP bullets. I have sort-of stayed with the 121 HAP's for reasons of cost - you can buy them 2,800 in bulk. From PPC positions at 50 yards I can put almost all bullets in the 10 ring (dropping maybe 3-4 shots just into the 9 ring) and most of these in the X ring. Anyway here is my recipe - Starline brass, Winchester WSP (although I have used CCI 500 and Remington 1 1/2 and it does not seem to make a difference), 4.1grs. of WW #231, Hornady 121gr. HAP, COL 1.080" with a .375-6" taper. This load is a real pussycat with light recoil - very nice for 7yds/15yds/"quick 6" - the gun comes right back down from recoil. Although a light load BE CAREFUL in your gun - it works for me in MY GUN. I hope others in the forum send you a response - I guess we are all looking for that "magic load". Good luck, ken

F. Paul Figlia
(Login FPaul)

No score for this post
December 30 2007, 8:20 PM 

Thanks Ken. Just out of curiousity, have you ever chrono'ed this load??

PPC Ken
(no login)

No score for this post
December 31 2007, 12:06 PM 

Yes - was not my best ammo - used 5x brass. Avg - 1038 (for 12 rounds), spread 68fps, standard deviation - 18.

BTW I have also loaded 4.6grs of VV N-330 with the same specs as above (though may used CCI 500 primers). With 1x brass it chrono'd: avg - 1076 (again for 12 rounds), 29 spread, and SD - 8. Shooting from PPC positions at 50, I can't see any practical accuracy difference between using VV N-330 and WW #231. 231 is much cheaper so I use it! Good luck, ken

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

No score for this post
June 3 2014, 10:49 PM 

Bump

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement