<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Quick six help

January 20 2008 at 12:17 PM
No score for this post
PPC ken  (no login)

OK folks, I need some help with the "quick six" - Do most of you use centerhold for this segment? Neck hold? Any other ideas/thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Seems no matter what I do or how hard I practice the "quick six", I always end up dropping 2-3 points here. Thanks, ken

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
George
(no login)

Re: Quick six help

No score for this post
February 6 2008, 5:52 PM 

I use neck hold see no reason to change. It gives the best contrast and it is almost the same as the 35-second match, just a little quicker. In bad light centerhold can be really tricky since you often end up looking at the target to see where the X is instead of looking at the sights.

In my opinion, the challenge of the "quick six" is to make use of all the time. Even if I have a high result in reach, I try to force myself to shoot calmly since I know that there is enough time. (Well, not always... ) I focus on the sights and pay less attention to where on the target I'm aiming. A useful practice is to try to shoot a 9, just to see how off you can aim and still shoot a 10.

/George

PPC ken
(no login)

No score for this post
February 7 2008, 10:33 AM 

Thanks for the help - this is the kind of info I need. If you could send me your email address, maybe we can talk PPC without going through the forum all the time. Thanks, Ken keifers@meritcomputing.com

George
(no login)

No score for this post
February 7 2008, 3:40 PM 

Ken,

Mail to the address you posted bounces. Contact me at georgeekstrom@yahoo.se.

/George

PPCKen
(no login)

No score for this post
February 14 2008, 9:49 PM 

Re: trying to shoot 9's from 25yd during the "quick 6". This is a little late in coming, but amazing, absolutely amazing!! I tried this out a couple of days ago and was really surprised at how far off-center you can fire a shot and still get a 10 - let alone still hit the 9 ring. I did this slowly at first just to see what would happen, then quickened up to get all 6 shots off in 12 seconds. I cannot say that I shoot all 10's now, but this "trick" seems to help me. Guess I must "force" myself to go to the range more often to practice! Thanks to one-and-all for the suggestions. ken

George
(no login)

No score for this post
February 15 2008, 2:47 AM 

Great Ken! Next step is to totally focus on the sights and the trigger so that you hit the X with confidence. The quick six are the final six shots and I often feel a bit nervous, especially when the previous 144 shots have been good. Knowing that you easily shoot X almost regardless where you aim as long as you see the top of the target helps a lot. This of course works for match 4 too. Use the same technique and make sure to use all the time.
I used to do a lot of ISSF rapid fire pistol some years ago (shoot 5 shots strings on five targets in 4 to 8 seconds with a .22 short) and I reuse the training methods my coach taught me.
One really useful practice is to try too shoot the last shot exactly when the targets turns. Then that becomes easy you add disturbances; shoot first shot really late - then adapt and shoot the rest of the shots at an even interval with the last exactly when the target turns. Similarly; shoot first shot really quick - adapt, use all the extra time you got from that and shoot last shot when the target turns. If you do not have turning targets an mp3-player with commands and timing for 12s/35s matches works great too.

/George

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

No score for this post
January 24 2014, 7:03 PM 

Bump

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement