<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Glasses for PPC

February 4 2008 at 9:05 PM
No score for this post

donovan  (Login jamdon)

I currently wear bi-focal glasses for proper vision. I am new to PPC competition and I need to know if I focus on the front sight as I do in Bulls Eye competition or both target and front sight? What I really need to know is, do I get shooting glasses corrected for sharp front sight or for the target (especially at 50 yds)?

Thanks in advance.

-donovan

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
DOUG
(no login)

FRONT SIGHT!

No score for this post
February 9 2008, 9:49 PM 

FRONT SIGHT! NO DOUBT!

joe
(no login)

Re: Glasses for PPC

No score for this post
February 10 2008, 8:04 PM 

I have found that having the bifocal, for your near vision, on top of the lens works best for PPC shooting.
Take your pistol to the eye doctor and see what amount of correction you will need to see the sight clearly.Make sure you can see the x ring outlines clearly at seven and 15 yards so you can maintain a good aimpoint.Don,t get too much correction or you will constantly have to move your head up and down to focus on the front sight and make sure you are properly aligned on the target.I use DECOTE HYWYDE glasses and they have an excellent website.
I was still able to win my state championship last year with a brand new pair of glasses I got just days before the match.
My fifty yard line scores actually went up as my near vision started to fail I had to work a lot harder to focus on the top of the front sight than I used to have to.Good luck.
Joe

Bob
(Login Starpacker1)

Re: Glasses for PPC

No score for this post
March 4 2008, 6:46 PM 

I had my eye doctor measure from my eye to the front sight in all shooting postions and the average was 28 and 1/4 inches. Then he set the eye chart at that distance and adjusted the lenses and now I have shooting glasses with the correct distance and my front sight is as clear as can be. Also I have the RX in the whole lens and only on the right side of my glasses.

Larry45
(no login)

Shooting Glasses

No score for this post
October 20 2008, 11:49 AM 

As a 50 something PPC shooter I had sight focus issues as well. Like the other posts I went to my eye guy and had my exact distance measured (make sure your Dr. is cool with bringing guns into the office).

I have a hybrid set of "Executive"(frame style) bi-focal lens. The entire top half is magnified (both lens) for close and bottom is for distance.
To aim,a slight lowering of the head (a nod)and the sights are clear. This works in all positions. Look straight ahead and I can see the target and confirm hits. It doesn't affect balance when moving as the one eye set-up did to me. Works great in action shooting events too.

It took nearly 2 years of experimenting to find this combination, but it works great for me. Good luck.

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

Re: Shooting Glasses

No score for this post
January 21 2016, 9:28 PM 

H p

JR Chapman
(Login jamesrchapman)

Re: Shooting Glasses

No score for this post
January 25 2016, 5:17 PM 

I skipped the bifocals and had my shooting eye doctor make me a single lense prescription that's set for the front sight.

the non-dominant eye uses a plano lens.

Decot

Tony
(Login tonyk60)

Shooting glasses

No score for this post
January 27 2016, 3:06 AM 

I too tried bifocals, spent an arm and a leg getting them to what I thought and read was right. Guess where they are, in the same box as all my other great ideas. Normal prescription glasses that are set to the front sight will always come out in front. Your head only has to be a fraction off and you are not looking through the correct part of the bifocal lens. When you are cold, hot, tired or just plain sore you hold your head in a different place, or hold your shoulders.

If you do want to be bold, I had my centre of the glasses ground slightly higher to compensate for the prone position, it helped me.

Tony

JB
(Login x-cop)

Shooting glasses

No score for this post
January 27 2016, 12:08 PM 

Just something "else" to consider. As you "age" some will develop cataracts and no matter how good the glasses are you will never get a "crisp" picture(found out personally), so just something else comes into the quandary of problems. Next best thing is sell all your handguns and start shooting a shotgun-LOL. I know, not a real good suggestion.

Unregistered Member
(Login jamesrchapman)

Re: Shooting glasses

No score for this post
January 27 2016, 9:27 PM 

Had my cataracts removed in 2005. What an improvement!

Started shooting 100 straights in my trap singles, and my handicap avg went back up!

Lights at work were bright white instead of dull yellow.

oh, losing the 20/400 glasses was a great deal too!

Jim

DG
(Login AHBK)

PPC Glasses

No score for this post
February 2 2016, 11:37 AM 

This will be a controversial response. I'm 66 years old and like you I have a hard time seeing the sights and target. I've tried them all.....reading glasses of 1.0-1.25-1.5-1.75-2.0. Finally I went to my eye Dr. And had glasses made to the focal length to focus on the front sight.....real clear but you can't see the target. At 25 yards can't see the rings and on a good day I can bairly see the numbers. It's like you have to guess at where the X ring is. At 50 yards all you can see is the silhouette that's it. Yes....I know ...neck hold. I've tried it and don't like it. Yes I also know I'm in the minority. Any way I used these prescription glasses for a whole season and did pretty well with them. This winter when I moved inside to practice I started experimenting. I tried shooting with my everyday progressive style glasses and shot just as well ....bobbing my head up and down to find a happy medium of partial focus on the sights and the target. To make a long story short I went back to reading aviator style glasses of 1.25 strength. Wala the sights are not dead clear but good enough and I can see the target very well. I'm scoring much better. Can't believe it .......it's amazing. I know we have always been told........focus on the front sight but that may not be the best advice for older shooters that don't have The Eye of the Tiger. Try it you'll like it.

JB
(Login x-cop)

PPC Glasses

No score for this post
February 2 2016, 6:35 PM 

I am not trying to be argumentive and just my opinion. I think if it works do it. But, I think you are fooling yourself. "If" you focus on the sights, front sight primarily and can hold them in the ever almost impossible "perfect" alignment and have that ever escaping trigger control you will shoot better scores as long as you are somewhere in the aiming area you strive for.As that villain age catches up, it becomes increasingly more difficult to hold that gun steady.I have gone back to bullseye afer many years away and was humbled quite a bit. lol. Glasses that give you that nice crisp sight picture is a bonus, or eyes that still work.
I am 77 years old and know exactly of what yoo speaketh of!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement