<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Point of Aim

February 5 2008 at 8:39 PM
No score for this post

donovan  (Login jamdon)

What is the preferred point of aim from the various distances? I just bought a used Grand Master by Ron Power. It has the two posts, one on either side of the front sight. I am not quite sure how to use them. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance. -donovan

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
PPC Ken
(no login)

Re: Point of Aim

No score for this post
February 6 2008, 11:03 AM 

First of all - you should have one heck of a gun. Ron used to make guns here in the Kansas City area and he built super guns that are still in use (and winning) in local PPC matches. Anyway, the "wings" on either side of the front sight are to block light/reduce shading on the front sight. Don't worry, as you start out, that in your haste to get the shot off you find you are using one of the wings for a front sight rather than the proper front sight blade - I'm guessing that most of us have done that once or twice. As far as aim point: I think general concensus is center mass at the 7 and 15 yard line; neck hold for 25 yards (though I have seen several top notch shooters using center hold here also); and, universally, neck hold at 50. I have a post - WITH NO RESPONSE YET - on what to do for the "quick 6" - center mass or heck hold??? I am still working on that one. Good luck, ken

PS I believe Ron is still alive and kicking. His son(s) are running the business (www.powercustom.com) in case you need anything for your gun.

Donovan
(Login jamdon)

Thanks

No score for this post
February 7 2008, 12:44 PM 

Thanks for the info. I was told that my gun was built by one of the masters. I am looking forward to enjoying it. Here is a pic: [IMG][/IMG]

-donovan

Doug
(no login)

Re: Thanks

No score for this post
February 9 2008, 10:02 PM 

I'll have to agree with PPCKen, the neckhold at 25 and 50 works best for me. Some shoot at the x-ring at the 25 but if it's real overcast or low light, it's hard to see the x-ring at 25 yards.
Oh and by the way, I don't know how your revolver will shoot, but it looks REALLY COOL!!!

Good Luck!

Unregistered Member
(Login aw93)

Re: Thanks

No score for this post
February 10 2008, 3:36 AM 

I use the neck hold on both 25 and 50, less load on the brain according to the KISS method.
Here in Europe we have a slighly diffrent targen then the US.

for the quick six it's more easy to use the neckhold. You just park the sights
and keep the trigger running smoth, you have 144 shoots in your body so to
do something else in that moment will disturb the flow.

As george say (yes we are from the same club) shoot on 25y and try to shoot only 9's
and your brain will know how "bad" the sights can be for still get 10's

Unregistered Member
(Login Gunnerrr)

No score for this post
February 14 2008, 12:01 AM 

Well, just when you got the right answer, someone chimes in and mucks the whole thing up. That someone would be me. I won't start blowing my horn (that bit me in the ass years ago). Suffice it to say I've been a HM since the mid 80s. With that said, I two comments.
1) Neck holds sucked for me. I just couldn't get the elevation nailed. My answer was a high head hold. If you've shot bullseye, you'll find the sight pic looks the same; a semi-circle of black on top the front sight. Once you start focusing on the front sight (the way you're suppose to), most of the black disappears and all you are looking for is any evidence of black on top your front sight.
2) Regarding 6 in 12, my "secret" would be maintaining a good rhythm and don't drag that first shot out. If you take 4/5 seconds trying to make shot 1 right, you're playing catch up from there. Oh, and I'm evidently one of those wierdos someone else spoke of who shoots center mass from 25 in. My X count went up once I trashed the neck thing.

Hope I didn't ruin your day.....

PPC Ken
(no login)

No score for this post
February 14 2008, 2:16 PM 

What do you mean "ruined your day" - this is what the forum is all about - sharing ideas and a sport we all enjoy. I am NOT a HM, but want to be. There is no coaching in my area. I read as much about PPC as I can find and review this forum often. Tips/ideas/suggestions are all tried by me - some work, some don't. BUT, having some info from the outside is always easier than "stumbling" on a "trick" by yourself. Thanks for the input. ken

PS I do shoot bullseye (started it for trigger control) but now enjoy it for the sport itself. I understand about the bull on top of the front sight - now I have something else to try next time out!!!

George
(no login)

No score for this post
February 14 2008, 4:45 PM 

Although I personally prefer neck hold, I don't think center hold is entirely wrong. I aim at the center at all distances in service revolver since it is not possible to adjust the sights enought for neck hold on my Python. The big advantage is that you don't have to care so much about the target. Once you have found the point of aim, it is easier to "feel" that you're aiming at the right point and just focus at the front sight. The downside is when you shoot in strange light. Since the X is not in the middle of the target it can be tricky to know where to aim if you cannot see the X. To me the target looks bigger when shooting a bad light (for example, a rainy day or in Swedish fall, winter or spring ) and that makes me shoot high when using center hold. I simply think I see to much target and raise the point of aim.

/George

Doug
(no login)

cool

No score for this post
February 16 2008, 12:52 AM 

The sport of bullseye is a true test of the fundamentals of marksmanship. I tend to shoot smaller groups on a bullseye target than on a b-27. The forehead hold instead of the neck hold makes alot of sense. I will definitely try this my next time out. I also found a little trick that helped me alot. After blackening your sights, take a pencil and make a small vertical line on your front sight. If you can't see the mark, you're not trying hard enough. It really helps to tighten my focus. Ain't this site cool!

F. Paul Figlia
(Login FPaul)

Re: cool

No score for this post
February 24 2008, 11:59 AM 

Does anyone use fiber optic front sights to help with focusing on the front sight??

Doug
(no login)

front sight

No score for this post
February 25 2008, 12:15 AM 

For me, the fiber optic front sight is so bright that I have a hard time determining equal amount of light on both sides and keeping it flat across the top. Most PPC shooters go to great lengths to smut or blacken the front sight to reduce glare. The fiber optic sights seems to be good for quick target acquisition but not as good for precise shot placement. I've tried everything and it looks like the one thing that works is the hardest thing to do. Make my little brain stop thinking about everything else and pay attention to one thing a time. I know, I know, it is alot to ask from a simple minded cop. Wish me luck!

Unregistered Member
(Login FPaul)

Re: front sight

No score for this post
February 27 2008, 1:11 AM 

I completely agree with you Doug - I'm starting to see that PPC shooting has much more in common with bullseye shooting. By that I mean there must be a strong emphasis on sight alignment and trigger control - much more so than in the other combat games esp considering the fifty yard component of the match.

(Good luck)

Paul

Doug
(no login)

Sports!?

No score for this post
February 27 2008, 11:38 PM 

In the "Color of Money", Paul Newman was describing the difference between straight pool and 9 ball to Tom Cruise and he said that straight pool was a pure test of talent and concentration, 9 ball has loud breakshots, it's fast and flashy which makes it good for TV. I definitely see where straight pool is like PPC and Bullseye and 9 ball is like shooting plates. Before some of you get upset, I do believe that plate shooters are talented. What I'm saying is that the two disciplines are different and require different skills. I will say that I believe that you can make a good PPC shooter into a equally good plate shooter quicker than you can make a good plate shooter into a good PPC shooter. In essence, I believe more fundamentals are required to become a good PPC shooter than a good plate shooter. The plates are so close and so big. The 10 ring is so far away and so small. What do yall think?

Tonyk60
(Login tonyk60)

Re: Sports!?

No score for this post
February 28 2014, 4:56 PM 

Hey Doug, I can agree with you there. You have some very valid points. I have been shooting Service revolver for more years than I will admit to, when Action Pistol first came to Aus of course we all jumped on board to give it a go. Totally different kettle of fish, the two matches aren't really compatible, service scores dropped off, and we all ended up in Master grade almost overnight in Action. Now all these years down the track, none of us shoot Action any more, we're al back shooting Service and PPC, both complimenting each other in the way you look at sights and trigger control.

I tend to centre hold all the way through, yeah the X isn't in the middle, but you know that and your brain will accommodate, it's all a learning thing. I can't emphasise the use of bullseye shooting enough, the information you get out of shooting it is invaluable, sights, trigger and grip is all transferrable to PPC. None of them are individual components, you can have the best grip ever, sights aligned perfectly, but if you hit that trigger there goes the score. As I say to my people when we are training, I'd rather a miss than a 7, next time I'll shoot that tad faster, but the information I get out of those other 5 shots make the series.

As aw93 said (damn Feinwerkbau's) it's a big 9 ring, for a newer shooter, trying to shoot 10's will always end in disaster, just like us trying to shoot X's, 1500 with zero X's will always win, but chance is one will always stray into the X ring... bonus.

An old coach of mine once asked me to draw what my sights looked like on the target, did a beautiful picture. she screwed it up and told me to go and have a real look, not what I think she wanted to see. If you can't see a clear front sight and everything else is a mass or blur, then you aren't looking, which is probably why I shoot centre of mass (sort of) if I'm trying to hold at the neck or head, I'm not looking at my front sight.

I learnt not to discount anything I've bee told until I have tried it myself, and it's not right for me, that is what the off months are for.

good shooting...

PPC in CA
(no login)

Fiber Optic Sights

No score for this post
March 8 2008, 3:12 AM 

Fiber Optic Sights are not allowed in PPC.

Marc Cobb
(no login)

Neck Hold

No score for this post
April 7 2008, 7:01 PM 

If you measure the true thin neck on the b27 you will find that it is the same height as the X ring,sight in for the middle and if you fluctuate up or down you are high X or low X

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

Re: Neck Hold

No score for this post
January 7 2014, 10:39 AM 

Good info

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

Re: Neck Hold

No score for this post
February 27 2014, 9:15 PM 

Bump

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement