<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Wadcutter vs Semi W/C

August 5 2008 at 8:57 PM
No score for this post
Brad  (Login bradiniowa)

I am new to this and still working on the basics. Do I want to use a W/C for a nicer hole in the target or a semi W/c for quicker loading? Thanks

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Doug
(no login)

Re: Wadcutter vs Semi W/C

No score for this post
August 5 2008, 11:30 PM 

I beleived that over 90% of PPC shooters use wadcutters. In my opinion, wadcutters are the only way to go. The wadcutter produces less recoil which leads to smaller groups. With practice and having your cylinders chamfered, reloading will become a breeze. The chamfering can be done at a local gunshop for about $15 or $20.

PPC Ken
(no login)

No score for this post
August 6 2008, 11:44 AM 

I agree with Doug - BUT, I assume you are talking about a full PPC Revolver that (by rules)does not require the 158gr. SWC. If, however, you are shooting a 6" stock/Distinguish revolver, my experience is that the 148gr HBWC will not "hold up" at 50 yards. This is mainly due to the fact that in S&W's a stock twist is about 19-1 whereas the PPC barrel is about 10-1. The full WC's will not stabilize enough at 50 for accuracy. Full WC's are fine at 25 and in. OK, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. ken

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

No score for this post
January 21 2016, 9:29 PM 

Bump

JR Chapman
(Login jamesrchapman)

No score for this post
January 25 2016, 5:23 PM 

hogwash. a 158 gr swc doesn't hold a candle to a 148 gr WC in a K-38/M-14 at 50 yards.

That's what the great Bullseye shooters were shooting back in the day when revolvers ruled center fire matches.

Jim

Tony
(Login tonyk60)

Wadcutter vs SWC

No score for this post
January 27 2016, 2:59 AM 

JR, you are spot on the money. Unless there is a force 10 gale blowing, a 148WC will beat a 158SWC hands down. Under "normal" conditions I would stake money on my 148's out to 50, the closer you get the better the groups.

Tony

JB
(Login x-cop)

Wadcutter vs SWC

No score for this post
January 27 2016, 6:01 PM 

Have to agree with JR and Tony's comments. After about 40+ years of loading, testing, and machine resting have never found a SWC to outshoot a WC. Have tested some WC's of poor quality both swaged and cast that shot horrible.I am not going to name names, except Star when they were in business had the best performing WC and SWC out there. Very sorry to see the demise of this maker. For some unknown reason the WC performs much better than the SWC in the accuracy dept. Whether or not it has something to do the projecting nose of the SWC or bullet weight, causing poor stabilization @50 or other factors I never have figured out. BBl twist and diameter I am sure enters into it along with forcing cone, cyl to alignment and on and on. I have tried just about any bullet I could get my hands on and multiple powders, but never got same results that I could get with the WC. Factory loads always performed better for me in our tests then hand loads too. Same headstamps, consistent primer seating depth, consistent oal, crimp, sufficient hammer strike like any factor determing consistent bullet performance/accuracy very important. Finding the right bullet and load for your gun is the key. One load might be super accurate in one gun and in a gun model identical to that super accurate gun not shoot worth a darn.
Any other thoughts out there, post them. Always looking for a better mouse trap.

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

Re: Wadcutter vs SWC

No score for this post
February 22 2016, 1:03 PM 

Bump

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement