<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

PPC Revolver Action question

January 29 2009 at 11:59 PM
No score for this post
Unregistered Member  (Login jenrick)

I was out browsing the pawn shops today when I noticed a lovely M10 that had been converted to a PPC gun at some point in it's life. The DA was great, and the SA was probably measured in ounces in the single digits. It had a serious case of push-off, light to moderate pressure to the hammer with my thumb was all it took to get the hammer to fall.

Is this normal for PPC actions?

I know that basically so long as I only shot the sucker DA it's not really a concern. However if it's the result of sloppy work on the action that makes it unsafe I'll keep looking. If most tuned PPC guns have this same issue (as they are meant to be fired DA), then I'll probably just have the SA notch removed and call it a day.

Thanks,

-Jenrick

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JB Custom Leather
(no login)

No score for this post
January 30 2009, 7:41 PM 

What you describe can be typical of a gun set up for PPC competition. Could be the result of too much polishing,wear, or someone getting into the action and hitting the wrong spots. If you intend to shoot it double action only dont worry about it or set it up for DAO and bob the hammer. 99% of PPC shooters shoot double action only today at all distances.
If you know someone that is familiar with the actions you can prob. stone the single action sear and get it back to safe release condition. Safe trigger weight is normally considered 2.5 lbs.
As long as timing and ranging good and no other defective gunsmithing in evidence prob good to go
Hope this helps a little

Jenrick
(Login jenrick)

Re: PPC Revolver Action question

No score for this post
January 31 2009, 3:01 AM 

Thanks, that was exactly what I needed.

-Jenrick

Joe
(Login sgtsluggo2)

No score for this post
January 31 2009, 11:53 PM 

Remember, if a revolver has a single action capability according to the NRA rules the trigger must pick up 2.5 pounds when the hammer is cocked in single action mode.Open class revolvers do not have to have single action capability,probably best to remove the notch.

joe
(Login sgtsluggo2)

No score for this post
February 3 2009, 8:14 PM 

JB, I am confused as to what was wrong with my post.I assumed we were only talking about an open class revolver because the word "converted" was used in Jenricks description.Rule 3.2 (NRA Police Pistol Combat rules) clearly states that if an open class revolver has single action capability the single action trigger pull must be at least 2.5 pounds.3.2 Open Class Police Revolver - A revolver chambered to fire center-fire cartridges .32 caliber or larger,barrel length not to exceed 6 inches. Sights may be fixed or adjustable, front sight may not extend beyond the
muzzle, the maximum sight radius to be no more than 8.5 inches. Hooded or telescope sights prohibited. Sight
guards may not extend rearward more than 2 inches. If the revolver has single-action capability the single action
trigger pull must be at least 2.5 pounds. No external or internal modifications may be made that would render the
revolver less safe than originally designed by the manufacturer. Each competitor is responsible for his/her firearm.
and any which are questionable should be submitted to the Match Director/3-Man Jury for decision prior to being
used in the tournament. Specifically prohibited is any system of recoil control based on compensators, barrel
venting or barrel porting.

Unregistered Member
(no login)

No score for this post
February 3 2009, 11:08 PM 

I ran out of space on the last post.If you remove the single action notch you should definetly bob the hammer for safetys sake.JP is right on with his advice.If you ever shoot a national record score your gun will be inspected most likely and you want to be sure it conforms to the rules.

JB Custom Leather
(no login)

No score for this post
February 4 2009, 11:46 AM 

Error in response name,dont know how that got in,sorry.

jim cirillo
(no login)

No score for this post
February 4 2009, 11:41 AM 

Joe,
My error in presenting it the way I did. You are correct about the gun being able to lift a minimum of 2.5 lbs "if" it has a hammer spur and the capability to be shot in a single action mode.
I have participated in regionals and the Nationals for over 30years and never had my "open" gun weighed for trigger weight with or without the hammer spur.Unfortunately have not shot any record scores so cant tell you if the officials would have checked my gun out. They do have this right.You are correct though per the rule, therefore I would correct my post and advise per your post and JP to either dehorn the hammer and shoot double action only, restore the correct angle to the single action condition(if possile),or replace the trigger and have a competent gunsmith go over the gun and also check the hammer and "other" internal parts for possible butchering that might render the gun unsafe.
As long as the gun functions in a safe manner shooting it double action only as the original poster indicated I see no reason not to use the gun less the hammer spur. I personally do not recommend grinding or cutting out the single action sear. I have seen guns that were set up strictly for double action have the actions modified like this and used specifically for the open class.
Leaving the hammer block in is also a real good idea.
I hope this clarifies my post.I do not want to give the impression I recommend or condone the use of an unsafe gun.

Unregistered Member
(no login)

No score for this post
February 4 2009, 7:18 PM 

Where are you posting this message from Jim?
I read you had been killed in a car accident?????

JB Custom Leather
(no login)

PPC Revlover Action question

No score for this post
February 1 2009, 8:01 PM 

Just read Joe's post. Not correct. "Open "class can have both single action or dao capacity or dao capacity only. They DON'T weigh the triggers for open class.In the other matches the triggers have to weighed(Dist.,Stock,Service,etc.) You can shoot these matches with a dao gun. However if you have single action capacity they will weigh the trigger. With the revolver it has to pick up 2.5 lbs and the semi-auto 3.5 lbs. If the gun has been altered in any way it came from the factory for dao(revolver)then it will not be allowed. If the gun is manufactured for dao then it can be used, as applies to some semi-autos that come dao from the factory.
If a semi-auto has double action capacity first shot, then that is the way it has to be shot. The trigger on this type will be weighed then because it has single action capacity too.
I am talking about N.R.A sponsered matches with N.R.A. refs.

JP
(no login)

Re: PPC Revlover Action question

No score for this post
February 2 2009, 2:01 AM 

If it has a hammer spur the trigger must lift 2.5 lbs.Just removing the SA notch does not make the gun DA per the rules.It can not have push off, or IF It's missing the hammer block safety the gun will be DQ'ed.Even unlimited guns are supposed to be randomly weighed, but rarely are. But why take a chance with an illegal,unsafe gun. To often wanta be gunsmith's fool with actions and do more harm than good.If any gun has any of these conditions have a competent gunsmith repair your gun!I have replaced more removed hammer block safetys over the years than you can imagine.An action can have all the safety features and still be as smooth and legal as any illegal one. Why take a chance going to a match only to find your gun is illegal or worse dangerous! JP

JB Custom Leather
(no login)

No score for this post
February 2 2009, 3:16 PM 

GOOD ADVICE FROM JP!

Kris
(Login nwoppc)

No score for this post
January 24 2014, 7:07 PM 

Bump

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement