<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Aimpoints

May 5 2009 at 9:25 AM
No score for this post
Captain Dave Funk  (Login F224)

I just picked up a S&W M14-7 and will be shooting it in my local PPC matches this summer.

Any suggestions on aimpoints and zeros for a 148gr wadcutter load? I have shot center mass at 25 and closer in the few matches I have been in in the past and neck hold at 50 yards.

Also, don't we have to shoot 158gr ammo in any distinguished revolver matches and what about zeros and aimpoints for those?

Thanks/Dave

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Unregistered Member
(no login)

Re: Aimpoints

No score for this post
May 6 2009, 2:39 AM 

PPC AND DISTINGUISHED RULES PROHIBIT THE USE OF ANY OPTICS

Captain Dave Funk
(Login F224)

Re: Aimpoints

No score for this post
May 6 2009, 1:43 PM 

Opps' I should have been more clear, I should have said aiming point on the target. Not Aimpoint electronic sight.

PPC in CA
(no login)

RE: Aimpoints

No score for this post
May 6 2009, 10:44 PM 

It was clear you were refering to where to aim on the target.

For Distinguished Revolver I shoot point-of-aim/point-of-impact through 25YDS and move the sights for a neck hold at 50YDS. On my Model 14-6 I need to move the rear sight down (clockwise) 10 clicks from POA/POI at 25YDS.

POA/POI works fine on a Match 5 A-B. Shoot a nice tight group at 7YDS and you'll have a great aimpoint from 25YDS.

I never shoot 148gr from my Model 14. It's for distinguished only (158gr). They will print COMPLETELY different so you'll need to experiment.

Good luck.

Doug
(no login)

Re: RE: Aimpoints

No score for this post
May 20 2009, 12:22 AM 

Neither my stock or distinguished gun has enough room for adjustment for a neck-hold at 25 and at 50. I have to aim at the x-ring at the short lines and click down 8 or 10 depending on the clouds at the 50. I would prefer to shoot a neck-hold at both. If you have ever had your target in the shade you will understand. I have also found that the neck-hold allows me to reduce my point of aim wobble because my front post is roughly the same width as the neck. When I shoot at the x-ring at 25, I have found that I tend to drift to the right side or the left side of the x-ring and a 10 point group can expand out into the 9-ring. This happens because I can't maintain the center of the x-ring and also give the front sight the attention it deserves. My periphial vision works better when I use the light colored cardboard on either side of the neck to determine equal amount of light on each side of the front sight. When trying to hold the x-ring, it's all black.
I hope I haven't confused you, because it makes perfect sense to me, I think.

Good Luck!!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement