<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

what auto to build?

January 7 2010 at 12:26 AM
No score for this post
dp251  (Login dp251)

We are just starting ppc in se idaho. My Sheriff is a revolver ppc shooter from a few years back, and when elected this year is trying to get guys excited in the competition. I shot the nationals in 2009 with a stock match kimber .45. my first match in ppc. what an eye opener. another deputy in our department is excited about ppc also is a 1911 gunsmith and willing to help me out in building an auto. What are some things i should be looking for? rib sights? 5 or 6 inch slide? twist barrel? ramped or nonramped barrel for 9mm? What seems to be a common bullet and load for ppc in 9mm? I should have paid more attention at the nationals but i was a little overwhelmed to begin with.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JB Custom Leather
(no login)

What auto to build

No score for this post
January 7 2010, 7:32 PM 

I hope this will be of some help to you.
The most popular rib comes from Aristocrat and seems to be the premier rib to use for PPC. Cant go wrong with this product my opinion.
As far as bbl. legnth, if you use a 5" bbl, you can use it in open and distinguished matches. A 6" bbl. gives you a longer sight radius and prob. more velocity for 50 yards. Whether you gain a great deal of more accuracy is up for debate my opinion. You will have a little more weight for recoil control and recovery, but how critical that is will be up to you.
BBl. Twist for 9mm is normally 1-16, and can handle bullets from 115 grains up to 147, with some feeling this twist better for the heavier weight bullet. I have read and heard that 1-32 twist for the 115 JHP makes it a tack driver at 50 yards. If you go the 1911 style I think bbls with this twist available. Suggest you check this out on your own. For the money the S&W PPC 9 prob one the best ways to go. Cant get a bbl. for this gun with the 1-32 twist though. Whatever bbl you do go for if you build a gun, dont go cheap. Rock River was building a PPC for a while and I heard that was the twist they used and was supposed to be guaranteed to shoot 1 1/2" groups at 50 yard, but they dont make them anymore for time being. A ramped bbl. is good way to go for function and reliability and is very popular way to go.
STI from what I have heard is good way to go too.
Take into consideration the size of your hands. If small then 1911 frame prob best way. With the Smith,it is build on a double stack frame and bulkier.
This is just some things that I hope is of help to you.
JB

PPC Ken
(no login)

Re: What auto to build

No score for this post
January 8 2010, 12:21 PM 

I have two Bob Marvel 9mm PPC guns - a 6" and a 5". Both shoot 1" groups at 50 yards. If you build only one gun, go with the 5" - you will be giving up all the stuff JB talked about above, BUT you will have a gun for PPC Open class as well as Distinguished class (if you do not put a rib on it). Aristocrat sights are very good and just about universally used on PPC pistols nowadays. I don't know about twist rates (probably got to check on this just for my own info) - the 6" has a KART barrel and the 5" a BarSto. Like I said, both will shoot 1" at 50 yards, just wish that I could, with either Hornady 121 HAPs or Zero 115gr JHP. Glad to see new shooters getting excited about PPC again and that you have upper management supporting and encouraging you. Good luck, ken

dp251
(Login dp251)

Re: what auto to build?

No score for this post
January 9 2010, 5:20 PM 

I appreciate the words of advice. Production has begun on the new gun. Sheriff just told me yesterday that our first match is on march 13th. If anybody is around St. Anthony Idaho that time let me know, we would love to see you there!!

JB Custom Leather
(no login)

What auto to build

No score for this post
January 9 2010, 5:38 PM 

Thank you for the invite. Love Idaho, but like the Nationals, time and money keeps me from attending. Hope your match(s)are a success.Getting young officers and new shooters out is the key.
If you think about it when your gun is done, post on what the end result is ,and how it turned out for you.
JB
PS, I specialize in custom leather holsters in case you need some help along those lines.
Good luck in your shooting.

Larry 45
(no login)

Building a PPC auto

No score for this post
January 26 2010, 11:29 AM 

I just met Bob Marvel, nice man. But all my PPC autos have come from Springfield Armory. Debbie Esle and Dave Williams are great folks to work with and know the PPC game, rules and all. With the new rule change allowing 6" guns to shoot Dist. Auto maybe a rule review is in order an you can shoot two matches with one gun, like used to. I shot a 5" in the 1500 and the same gun Distinguished. I felt I was giving up too many points without the extra inch of sight radius (just my rational for a new gun)so I ordered a 6" gun at the SHOT show.
If you get south, check out the Las Vegas Metro PPC matches. Good group of folks too.

Bob
(Login CALREB)

1911 or

No score for this post
January 26 2010, 7:29 PM 

Welcome aboard, If I was starting over I would start with a 5" guns so I could definetly shoot both dist and open class and possibly even stock auto ,(if I read the new rules correctly) the quick review guide states rule 3.1 applies to all firearms 3.2-3.9 fixed OR ADJUSTABLE sights allowed. If you are thinking of building a new 6" to use in open and distinguished remember it must be a factory manufactured catalog item, no Caspian or other type parts gun .Springfield and others make 6"-longslide guns but I dont think any of them make a 6" in 9mm all are .45.I would think the new rule to 6" is so glock 34-35 and maybe that F/N thing will pass muster. The 6" smith and wessons and most others with aristocrate sights miss the sight radius rule. I have springfield guns that work and shoot great but you will be a while getting one. The smith performance center guns are great but per their people at the shotshow they are no longer making any PPC guns. If that is true, you could buy a 952 single stack ,fine for PPC,same as 5906, and have smith performance center or your gunsmith slap on a aristocrat rear and front if needed.Remember all S+W come with lifetime warrenty and they are MUCH easier to clean that a 1911 will be , especially if you have full length rods and other stuff on your 1911.The performance center guns seem to be a little less ammo sensitive that the 1911,s also. Goog luck dont forget the regional June 4-5 in Boise. Bob

dp251
(Login dp251)

Re: 1911 or

No score for this post
February 3 2010, 1:35 AM 

Hey Boise sounds great. Maybe all four of us could make it down there. I hadnt heard anything about it, but maybe my Sheriff knows. I know of a match that they shot in pocatello last fall, got rained on all three days. I imagine we will be at that one also. Let me know where to look up that Boise match at.
So the guy that has the post 1911 buildups is another one of the deputies here at fremont co that is building my gun. I bought his slide in the first picture and sticking it on a caspian s.s. frame. Hes got all the parts pretty much now and Ill have to post pics when its done. Thanks for everyones comments.
Ive got a friend at farmington n.m. pd that just started down there. Ive told him about the nationals so maybe he'll show up with a team. Nothing but fun in 2009.

Winder
(no login)

Re: 1911 or

No score for this post
February 4 2010, 9:11 PM 

2010 rule changes allow for 6 inch guns for distinguished now, with max sight raduis.

PPCFW
(no login)

Dist Semi Auto Rules

No score for this post
February 19 2010, 4:05 PM 

Please keep in mind that a Distinguished Semi Auto gun must be a "Factory Manufactured (catalog item)". That does not eliminate custom guns, like Springfield and Baer, but you cannot got to the guy down the street, and have him build you one. A few years ago at NPSC, there were some shooters who could not get their 5" guns past the Refs. Also the 2010 rules changes seem to fit a 5" Distunguished gun into the Stock Semi Auto catagory. Do not expect this change to survive past this year. I expect the NRA to rewrite the rule to forbid Aristocrat three posistion style sights on Stock guns. The rule change was intended to allow factory installed adjustable sights (combat style) on Stock Semi Autos, not Competition sights. This will be a tough line to draw, and be fair to all manufacturers. The rules were intended to include the extremely popular Glock pistols into the fray, because so many Departments issue them, and lets face it, if you want to get in cheap, they are easy to obtain, and easy to get your money out of when you decide to get a real gun (Hehehe.)

Bob
(no login)

Just to let you know

No score for this post
February 25 2010, 7:42 PM 

If you are considering building a gun the sight radius has changed for Dist S/A it is not 8.5 so you can have a factory gun built with aristocrat sights (no Rib) and use it for a dist or open gun.As long as you follow rule for dist semi-auto. Take care Bob

mistype
(Login CALREB)

sorry

No score for this post
February 25 2010, 7:52 PM 

My last message should have read MAX sight radius for Dist S/A -IS NOW- 8.5, changed from last posted 7.5 , SORRY, Bob

PPCFW
(no login)

Semi Auto rules

No score for this post
March 3 2010, 4:39 PM 

Here is the update from NRA web site on Semi Auto Rules:

Rule 3.6 Open Class Semi-Automatic Pistol: Center-fire pistols of .35
caliber or larger. Trigger pull not less than 3.5 pounds single or double
action. All double action semi-automatic pistols must fire the first shot of
every stage double action except at the 50-yard line.
Allowed:
1. Maximum barrel length of 6 inches.
2. Maximum sight radius of 8.5 inches.
3. Sight guards but they may not extend rearward more than 2 inches.
4. Extended magazine well funnel.
5. Magazine bumper pads.
Rule 3.7 Distinguished Semi-Automatic Pistol: Factory manufactured
(catalog item) center-fire semi-automatic pistol capable of chambering and
firing .35 caliber or larger ammunition, or FN 5.7 x 28 caliber ammunition.
Trigger pull must not be less than 3.5 pounds single or double action. All
double action semi-automatic pistols must fire the first shot of every stage
double action except at the 50 yard line.
Allowed:
1. Maximum barrel length of 6 inches.
2. Any accessories, parts, and components which are manufactured to
duplicate, in materials and dimensions, the original as offered by the
manufacturer.
3. Open sights, from any manufacturer.
4. Maximum sight radius of 7.5 inches.
5. Finger groove and slip on grips.
6. Extended magazine well funnel.
7. Magazine bumper pads.
Prohibited:
1. Adjustable front sights.
2. Thumb rest.
3. Grips/Stocks that are flared at the base.
4. Tape on the grips/stocks.
5. Any substance that results in a sticky surface to the grips/stocks or
hand.
6. Full-length Bo-Mar type ribs on the slide.
7. Weighted grips grip panels.
Rule 3.8 Stock Semi-Automatic Pistol: Factory manufactured (catalog
item), center-fire semi-automatic pistol capable of chambering and firing
.35 caliber or larger ammunition, or FN 5.7 x 28 caliber ammunition. All
double action semi-automatic pistols must fire the first shot of every stage
double action. Trigger pull not less than 3.5 pounds single or double
action.
Allowed:
1. Maximum barrel length of 5.5 inches.
2. Any accessories, parts, and components which are manufactured to
duplicate, in materials and dimensions, the original as offered by the
manufacturer.
3. Replacement service type luminescent or fiber optic sights.
4. Maximum sight radius of 7.5 inches.
5. Finger groove and slip on grips.
6. Magazine bumper pad.
7. Extended magazine well funnel.
Prohibited:
1. Adjustable front sight.
2. Thumb rest.
3. Grips/stocks that are flared at the base.
4. Tape on the grips/stocks.
5. Any substance that results in a sticky surface to the grips/stocks or
hand.
6. Full-length Bo-mar type ribs on the slide.
7. Weighted grips or grip panels.
8. Trigger shoes.
Rule 3.9 Off Duty Pistol: A stock factory manufactured (catalog item)
center-fire semi-automatic pistol suitable for off duty concealed carry,
chambered for and capable of firing .380 caliber ammunition or larger.
Trigger weight may not be less than 3.5 pounds single or double action.
All double action semi-automatic pistols must fire the first shot of every
match or stage double action.
Allowed:
1. Maximum barrel length of 3.65 inches.
2. Finger groove and slip on grips.
3. Magazine bumper pad.
4. Magazine grip extensions, if when installed add no more than one
finger width to the overall length of the magazine when inserted.
5. Extended magazines, if no more than one finger width of the
magazine is exposed when the magazine is inserted.
6. Replacement service type luminescent or fiber optic sights.
7. Extended magazine well funnel.
Prohibited:
1. Bo-Mar style ribs on the slide.
2. Trigger shoes.
3. Weighted grips or grip panels.
4. Any substance that results in a sticky surface to the stock or hand.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement