<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

neck hold at 25?

February 9 2010 at 4:25 AM
No score for this post
Unregistered Member  (Login dp251)

I was reading in a post from 2008 where ppcken mentioned a neck hold at 25yds. How popular is this? Are people doing it dependent upon eyesight or is it done by most? Thanks for the info, I need any edge I can get in this sport!! As you can tell by two posts in one night, not very many bookings in jail tonight:)

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
PPC Ken
(no login)

Re: neck hold at 25?

No score for this post
February 9 2010, 11:53 AM 

I hope we get many responses to this post - I use the neck-hold at 25 (especially for the Quick 6) because 1) I am 64 years old, wear glasses, and have a somewhat hard time decerning the "X" at that distance (and this is especially true on rainy/heavy overcast days), 2) unless your shots are exactly in the "X" they may tend to be to one side or the other, then you start chasing the group right out of the "X" ring and maybe into the ten ring or worse. And 3) my "neck hold" is actually the brownish/whiteish line denoting the 7 ring at the base of the neck - for me this gives a much more defined aiming point (when I can hold the firearm steady enough)! For the Quick 6 I tend to move the front sight more into the middle of the neck because I tend to pull my shots down when I shoot very quickly (and this helps compensate for that) and also the front sight exactly covers the width of the neck at 25 yards - again helping with a much more definite aim point. Cannot wait to try out my new 6" Distinguish pistol with these new tricks - that's a joke and a jab! Good luck, ken

JB Custom Leather
(no login)

neck hold

No score for this post
February 9 2010, 8:49 PM 

Hope I can be of some help here. Ken has some really good points here. I, like him am a little aged(going on 72)and have hard time with seeing what I want to at the 25 yard line. Like most of the more mature shooters use glasses to see sights better, and target becomes a blurr, should be anyway with good sight picture(thats right aint it?)Neck gives you good reference point, however one problem arises with some shooters. Have a tendency to try and get too pretty and run out of time. However you can work on this and overcome.Also, trying to get too perfect can cause you to grab the trigger too. Best thing is to try and experiment and use what is most comfortable and gives you best target. For me the neck hold is best,particularly for the match 2. Guys that can shoot point usally will shoot more X's if their group starts out dead center. As Ken indicated you will chase your group because you can usually see it. Hope this helps,just my humble opinion.

dp251
(Login dp251)

No score for this post
February 10 2010, 3:06 AM 

thanks so far. I am 30yrs old and have pretty good eye sight. I have been wondering though on that neck hold because when you get to shooting at 25, its to hard and time consuming to put your sights dead center and shoot. I mean, your kinda guessing and hoping your aiming at the x when shooting center of mass. I had never thought of a neck hold at 25 and will definately give it a try this spring. I would guess the front sight post on the aristocrat rib is a set thickness which would center up well with the neck, but if it dont, which thickness do you use to match up with the neck. I know when i used my stock match kimber last year at npsc I wasnt happy with my skinny front sight post and wide notch on my rear sight. I definately want to get that changed this year for duty match. My sheriffs revolver that i borrowed was perfect on front sight thickness, I suppose i could just measure that if I dont get replys, but yeah, curious to hear other view points on 25 yrd aiming.

PPC Ken
(no login)

No score for this post
February 10 2010, 11:23 AM 

OK this may sound naive, but I also have Aristocrat ribs and sights on my pistols and "figured" that they know better than me what I need for sight thickness, etc. So, I have never checked them. I like the Aristocrat ribs so much that, on my open revolvers, I changed out the Wichita rib (too many darn little screws) for Aristocrats. ken

JB Custom Leather
(no login)

neck hold

No score for this post
February 10 2010, 12:04 PM 

Per your last post the front sight on the Aristocrat mikes out at .140. Note it has a slight flair to it to help eliminate glare and false picture(real good idea).
As Ken states Aristocrat when they designed this front sight it was with the intention to use for PPC. The make a front sight with a smaller width too for bulls eye shooting, but harder to use for the PPC type shooting. If you can see it and hold it though it will help shooter tighter groups at the 50. Tried it and went back to the PPC sight, but you might like it. Thats what I mean, need to experiment and use what works best for you. Hope this helps.

JB Custom Leather
(no login)

neck hold

No score for this post
February 10 2010, 12:04 PM 

Per your last post the front sight on the Aristocrat mikes out at .140. Note it has a slight flair to it to help eliminate glare and false picture(real good idea).
As Ken states Aristocrat when they designed this front sight it was with the intention to use for PPC. The make a front sight with a smaller width too for bulls eye shooting, but harder to use for the PPC type shooting. If you can see it and hold it though it will help shooter tighter groups at the 50. Tried it and went back to the PPC sight, but you might like it. Thats what I mean, need to experiment and use what works best for you. Hope this helps.

Unregistered Member
(Login dp251)

No score for this post
February 11 2010, 10:54 PM 

well i got to handle my slide and frame that is being built and love the aristocrat sights. I will definately try to match the sights on my kimber to the dimensions of the aristocrats. Now all I need is some good 9mm load info. I will look around at older posts before shooting a questions out there.

PPC Ken
(no login)

No score for this post
February 12 2010, 1:52 PM 

With a 9mm BarSto or Kart barrel - try 4.3grs. of WW 231, Zero 115 JHP(at COL 1.100") or Sierra 115 JHP (at 1.070") or Hornady 121 HAP (at 1.120"), Fed 100 primer, Starline Brass, .374" crimp. These all shoot really well in my 9mm. Be careful (though nowhere near max) these are all ok in my guns - both 5" and 6". ken

dp251
(Login dp251)

No score for this post
February 12 2010, 8:25 PM 

thanks ken, you've helped with a lot of input!!

lr45
(no login)

But where on the neck do you hold?

No score for this post
February 14 2010, 11:43 AM 

I haven't found my spot yet. I was hoping this tread was going lend itself to insight as to neck hold location.
Is the "7" ring/shoulder area where most hold? I've been trying a little higher, but I don't know if it's me or my spot/hold that's the issue. I'd like to be consistant between the 25 and 50 in point of aim.
Any input would be great. I've experimented some but I think a consensus on POA would allow me to concentrate on just my skills. Thanks.

jp
(no login)

Re: But where on the neck do you hold?

No score for this post
February 14 2010, 1:20 PM 

neck hold at 25&50yds is great and where you hold depends upon what works best for you. The main thing is looking at the front sight clearly and controlling the trigger. If you can see where your aiming on the target then your looking thru the front sight not looking at it. Front sights on Aristocrat Ribs or separate (front& rear)auto or revolver are 1/8".125 sights on S&W,Springfield, and most other brands are also 1/8"Aristocrat does offer 1/10" .100 sights for their ribs but I find these hard to distinguish during quicker stages of fire such as match 4 or 6rounds in 12 seconds.

Marc Cobb
(no login)

dead center of neck

No score for this post
February 15 2010, 4:53 PM 

The center of the neck area(thinest part) is the same height as the X ring. by sighting in here ,if you go high or low during sighting you can tell that you have moved and adjust. The big advantage using the neck at 25 is that during the quicker stages you do not change your rate of fire(pace) when you see a bad shot. You can't fix it once its out of the gun, but you sure can screw up the next one.

lr45
(no login)

neck holds

No score for this post
February 15 2010, 5:42 PM 

Mark,
So you're actually just under the head at the narrow neck spot. That's what I needed to know. I have a devil of a time lower, near the shoulders. The narrow spot makes way more sense. I will check my zero and make the adjustments, thanks....oh let's say 1480?(can't score a million)

lr45
(no login)

neck holds

No score for this post
February 15 2010, 5:46 PM 

Crud, I just looked at the target, the narrow part is at the shoulders. Fudge, that's where I've been holding. Well I might try a higher neck hold anyways, I don't think it could hurt any worse. I need a consistant spot.

CALREB
(Login CALREB)

NEK HOLD (southern spelling)

No score for this post
February 15 2010, 8:05 PM 

Back when my eyes were real good I didnt need neckhold,BUT when it got dark or real bright man those lines were hard to see, especially when the lines got REAL thin.It was too difficult to go back and forth,(lots of points lost when I got confused)So I finally swithched to neckhold all the time.It also helped those Quick-6 jitters, as long as I didnt peek,DONT PEEK!!! After trying everyone elses point of aim in the neck I found that I consistently shot best when I used what my eyes liked the best and I seemed naturally drawn to ,in my case it was making the head a round ball for 6:00 hold at 50, and the thinnest part of the neck ,so I could get white ,or brown, on the sides of my front sight at 25.The 10 ring is longer than it is wide so you have more room for error up and down/ than side to side.Also all targets are not created equal, so I put knots in my plumbob string and measure from my aiming point to the x . The targets at NPSC are about a inch off and the heads are more round than what we shoot in CA. my .02 Good Luck Bob

doug
(no login)

Re: NEK HOLD (southern spelling)

No score for this post
February 17 2010, 10:37 PM 

when shooting bullseye, i picked up points quickly when an old timer told me about a six oclock hold. if i cover the thin part of the neck at 25 and 50, the sight picture more resembles that round bullseye sitting on top of my front sight. it seems to help me greatly. i also like the neckhold at 25 because it prevents me from watching the x-ring. it gives me the opportunity do what keith ferguson said, "shoot two, check'em, then finish up." one other bonus is that the equal amount of light on either side of the front post is easier to see because it is tan instead on black. too much black all runs together for me. when you list the pros and cons, the con side is pretty small huh?!

Unregistered Member
(Login scaramanga38sp)

No score for this post
February 18 2010, 1:50 AM 

Heres a pic of the 1500 target we shoot across the pond in Europe, I usually take the neck hold just above the top of the arrow, If your wondering why it looks like it does this is the politically correct target as we are no longer allowed to shoot at human silhouette, like it really matters.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

www.peverilrifleclub.com

Mark
(Login drg-racr)

How do you set your iron sights for neck hold? What about 7 and 15 yards?

No score for this post
May 9 2010, 8:58 PM 

I have recently just started shooting PPC and I'm trying to wrap my head around this "neck hold". It would seem if you have your sights set to shoot a foot low at 25 yards that your 7 and 15 yard shooting would be all off. Where do you hold for 7 and 15? I'm not sure my PPC gun iron sights can be adjusted that far down...am I missing something?

Winder
(no login)

Re: How do you set your iron sights for neck hold? What about 7 and 15 yards?

No score for this post
May 9 2010, 9:59 PM 

Just hold over. Top of the X ring @ 7, top of the 10 @ 15, etc. Also has the added benefit of helping you to not look at you shots as you go.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement