<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Distinguished Revolver??

April 19 2010 at 8:50 PM
No score for this post
JC  (no login)

I noticed in the NRA rule 3.3 Distinguished Revolver says, "If the trigger is capable of single action it must be capable of lifting 2.5 pounds when the gun is cocked for single action firing", which is also the same, word for word in rule 3.2 Open Class Police Revolver. My question is, if I were to remove the cocking notch so the revolver can only be fired double action, would it still be legal for Distinguished Match? This in no way renders the gun less safe than originally designed by the manufacture, also keeping with the rules regarding internal modifications. In fact many agencies used to do this so their officers could only fire the revolver double action.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
JP
(no login)

Re: Distinguished Revolver??

No score for this post
April 19 2010, 10:08 PM 

Distinguished revolvers must have single and double action capabilities,but who knows they may have changed that rule too!

JC
(no login)

No score for this post
April 19 2010, 11:07 PM 

JP, apparently they changed this rule also, because rule 3.3 in my 2005 rule book addresses open class pistol. In the new rules, 3.3 addresses distinguished revolver. Here is the link,http://www.nrahq.org/law/competitions/ppc/ppcrules.pdf. I'm so confused! If they are changing rules, why not change the rule and keep the same numbers?

PPC Ken
(no login)

No score for this post
April 26 2010, 2:32 PM 

Here's an educated guess - the rules relating to the Distinguished Revolver say " a factory manufactured (catalog item) revolver ....." The S&W's all came double action/single action. Other "new" rules state that "Action work to make a crisper and/or smoother trigger pull" are legal and "Internal modifications that would render the firearm less safe than originally designed by the manufacturer" are prohibited. While what is said above makes sense, the rules do not specifically mention that the single action notch may be removed. If it does not say you can do it, I wouldn't. I would hate to show up at a match and have the judges deem this removal to be illegal. (I am not a gunsmith and have no knowledge if the DAO only feature can be reversed at the range???). Best guess here - Contact Marc Lipp (again) and see if he can sort this one out also. Good luck, ken

Unregistered Member
(Login KAC49)

No score for this post
April 26 2010, 5:07 PM 

In the past I have had a Dist.Revolver DQ'ed for not having single action capability. Since then I make sure that every revolver, except for the Open Class, has SA that will hold 2.5 lbs, even though I only shoot DA.

JC
(no login)

No score for this post
April 28 2010, 4:38 PM 

The text is the same regarding open class revolvers and distinguished revolvers, as far as "if the trigger is capable of single action it must be capable of lifting 2.5 pounds when the gun is cocked for single action firing". If this is the case, than any revolver that is not capable of single action would have had the cocking notch removed, right? I don't know of any make that came DAO, cataloged anyway. To take it a step further, the new rule 3.1 "Applies to all firearms", states "Internal modifications that would render the firearm less safe than originally designed by the manufacture". If it can be done to a open class revolver, it must be okay for a distinguished revolver. Removing the cocking notch doesn't in anyway render the gun less safe, if it did, than we have a lot unsafe open guns, wouldn't we? Anyway, if one reads the new rules in their entirety, they would come to the conclusion that single action is no longer required for a distinguished revolver.

Unregistered Member
(Login CALREB)

Score 2.0 (1 person)
April 28 2010, 10:30 PM 

The way these rules have been reprinted ,who knows,but I will bet you from past experience, you are not going to get a D/A only revolver by the officials ,at least without a lot of bickering or shooting under protest, all of which will not help your shooting.Generally open class revolvers still have the ability to be cocked its the trigger-stop that keeps you from cocking them.A dist revolver would have the single action notch removed from the hammer,which I bet the officials would deem a no go. WHY, who knows there is no advantage or dissadvantage ,most shoot D/A all the way through so who cares.Yet another new rules mystery. I still want to know WHY 5.7X28 ,other than FN cant sell them to any LE,and give big to the NRA. so change the rules as to caliber for ONE manufacture.Dont they make 9/40/45 pistols,that are supposedly great pistols.I hope someone shows up with a 17hmr and really confuses them.WHY not. My 2cents, Bob

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
Find more forums on Law EnforcementCreate your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement